Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I am speaking generally too . I am sure there are many people out there who have a single 3yo degree from the Catholic University. But if it did touch your heart - please read another post of mine below where i am actually praising you for your hard work and dedication.
    I cut my teeth in Silicone Valley, you cut yours in Porcelain Alley.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    I cut my teeth in Silicone Valley, you cut yours in Porcelain Alley.
    Silicone Valley? Sounds more like ACU Trolley
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Great read!
    Translation - oh shit, converstation hs turned to University quality and tenure at IT companies - everyone look over there!

CC Grandmaster
    Translation - oh shit, converstation hs turned to University quality and tenure at IT companies - everyone look over there!
    Re university quality....as you never taught and studied for a single 3y degree...I trust your opinions/views are limited to a) student views only b) undergrad programs only as Postgrad programs/research...I assume you have little idea what happens. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong

Re university quality....as you never taught and studied for a single 3y degree...I trust your opinions/views are limited to a) student views only b) undergrad programs only as Postgrad programs/research...I assume you have little idea what happens. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong
    Au contraire, it is not my opinion but the opinion of the ARWU (that stands for Academic Ranking of World Universities, by the way) list as I articulated in post #1679 . You want to take a swipe at ACU, yet it is rated better than the unis you've been associated with.

PS nice to see you finally making a connection between having studied something and then taught it. Any plans to implement it?

CC Grandmaster
    Au contraire, it is not my opinion but the opinion of the ARWU (that stands for Academic Ranking of World Universities, by the way) list as I articulated in post #1679 . You want to take a swipe at ACU, yet it is rated better than the unis you've been associated with.

PS nice to see you finally making a connection between having studied something and then taught it. Any plans to implement it?
    My undergrad degree was from The University of Melbourne that I believe is ranked higher than ACU. My Postgrad qualifications - please advise me where your postgrad qualifications are coming from .
    P.S. ACU has good track record in Nursing etc. I would love to see its record in IT...
    Even CSU where I teach is ranked 7th (https://www.universityrankings.com.a...-rankings.html) Fed Uni where I also teach, ranked 8th. CQU where I've been teaching on and off for almost 15 years - ranked 10th.
    Catholic University ...ranked SECOND LAST!!!!

That explains why you think that there is no such thing as cross-discipline studies/knowledge/teaching - a person with a 3 year degree from 2nd worst university ..and no postgraduate qualifications ...I can only imagine what an effort it has been for you to review my involvement into academia...on the positive side...even reading/googling about academia - has been sufficient to broaden your horizons to some extent.
    P.S. you sure you do not want to discuss it in the Michael Baron thread instead of this one? I do not think we should have a Desmond thread - if we have a separate thread for each person who scrambled through an undergrad degree...we will soon have unaccountable number of threads .

So...better stick to the topic of free market and media!

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...3823310708736/

For those who love to follow my activities .

Also...not just related to e-learning but to our economy in general: Virus appears to be giving a giving us a great push towards digitalization!

My undergrad degree was from The University of Melbourne that I believe is ranked higher than ACU. My Postgrad qualifications - please advise me where your postgrad qualifications are coming from .
    P.S. ACU has good track record in Nursing etc. I would love to see its record in IT...
    Even CSU where I teach is ranked 7th (https://www.universityrankings.com.a...-rankings.html) Fed Uni where I also teach, ranked 8th. CQU where I've been teaching on and off for almost 15 years - ranked 10th.
    Catholic University ...ranked SECOND LAST!!!!
    that's just numbers of students. I'm talking about the top 1000 unis, of which CSU and CQU are not even listed. Perhaps you could go back to ARWU and see if they list them passed 1000? Maybe they have a top 10,000 list that you feature in!

That explains why you think that there is no such thing as cross-discipline studies/knowledge/teaching - a person with a 3 year degree from 2nd worst university ..and no postgraduate qualifications ...I can only imagine what an effort it has been for you to review my involvement into academia...on the positive side...even reading/googling about academia - has been sufficient to broaden your horizons to some extent.
    P.S. you sure you do not want to discuss it in the Michael Baron thread instead of this one? I do not think we should have a Desmond thread - if we have a separate thread for each person who scrambled through an undergrad degree...we will soon have unaccountable number of threads .

So...better stick to the topic of free market and media!
    We can have a Desmond thread if you want one, it doesn't bother me. Usually the conversation runs: 1 Michael makes claim based on supposed authority, 2 Desmond asks Michael what standing he has for that claim, 3 Michael attacks Desmond.

The current conversation is a case in point. You're just trying to attack ACU because you don't like that I pointed out that people should acquire some expertise before teaching a subject. The irony being that ACU is no slouch when it comes to universities. But whether it is or isn't doesn't change the fact the conversation is just an irrelevant ad hominem by yourself.

CC Grandmaster
    that's just numbers of students. I'm talking about the top 1000 unis, of which CSU and CQU are not even listed. Perhaps you could go back to ARWU and see if they list them passed 1000? Maybe they have a top 10,000 list that you feature in!

We can have a Desmond thread if you want one, it doesn't bother me. Usually the conversation runs: 1 Michael makes claim based on supposed authority, 2 Desmond asks Michael what standing he has for that claim, 3 Michael attacks Desmond.

The current conversation is a case in point. You're just trying to attack ACU because you don't like that I pointed out that people should acquire some expertise before teaching a subject. The irony being that ACU is no slouch when it comes to universities. But whether it is or isn't doesn't change the fact the conversation is just an irrelevant ad hominem by yourself.
    and the question is: Who is Desmond to question Michael? 1 undergraduate degree questioning a higher qualified professional - is like 1300 player questioning an IM
    P.S. I also do not understand why, Michael has to answer anything at all to Desmond? I also do not understand how to explain to someone who thinks is that ''IT is about connecting 2 computers into a network etc.'' Why my work is IT/IT related. is Data Analytics IT? Is IT Infrastructure Management IT? is Supply Chain Management Systems IT? ERP? Online Marketplaces? E-Learning? - this is something that we discuss alot in the MBA and MIT classes
    - role of IT in Business, namely - to support business processes. But shall I waste my time on lecturing you? . It is still not too late for you to upskill and learn all of this by enrolling in MBA (IT Stream) for instance .
    Edit: And I still do not understand (you are hard to understand) - why this belongs to free market and media thread rather than Michael/Desmond thread or even something more philosophical such as '' What is IT''
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 01-04-2020 at 12:16 PM.

and the question is: Who is Desmond to question Michael? 1 undergraduate degree questioning a higher qualified professional - is like 1300 player questioning an IM
    And if you were talking about marketing, in which you are qualified, then I would agree.

But if you're talking about other topics, then not so much. For example, to extend your question:

Who is a Registered Nurse to question Michael's medical advice? 1 undergraduate degree questioning a higher qualified professional - is like 1300 player questioning an IM

I hope you would agree that degrees in marketing and arts don't make you better qualified to talk about medical topics in which you hold 0 degrees. The only puzzle is why you think IT is any different.

P.S. I also do not understand why, Michael has to answer anything at all to Desmond? I also do not understand how to explain to someone who thinks is that ''IT is about connecting 2 computers into a network etc.'' Why my work is IT/IT related. is Data Analytics IT? Is IT Infrastructure Management IT? ...
    There you go again. You're trying to claim that you have some basis for teaching IT Infra Management. The question simply is - what is this basis? Have you either 1. studied this topic, or 2. if not, what full time work experience do you have doing so? I've asked this before and you didn't answer. If you had an answer I'm sure you could give it. In the absence, I assume you have none. You can switch to ad hominem - you could have 15 marketing degrees and it would mean jack shit.

CC Grandmaster
    And if you were talking about marketing, in which you are qualified, then I would agree.

But if you're talking about other topics, then not so much. For example, to extend your question:

Who is a Registered Nurse to question Michael's medical advice? 1 undergraduate degree questioning a higher qualified professional - is like 1300 player questioning an IM

I hope you would agree that degrees in marketing and arts don't make you better qualified to talk about medical topics in which you hold 0 degrees. The only puzzle is why you think IT is any different.
    Let me give you a simple example...based purely on qualifications rather than experience: If I do work on Website Performance Analysis (my ph.d thesis) - there are 3 dimensions: Informational Content, Functionality and Emotional Appeal.
    Functionality refers to assessing Website's technical processes as well as business ones. If you want to know more - can go back to my thesis and read . You've already started reading it I believe so keep going ....thesis is usually boring to read ...but you seem to be motivated enough

2) in My grad Education management studies (you can find the qualfication in My Linkedin next time you study it in depth) my project was ...E-Learning Systems .
    shall I go on?
    Feel funny explaining something that obvious to someone who has an IT degree...may be this what IT degrees in Catholic unis were like at the turn of the century. Or may be i overestimate value of Undergrad

I was a professional coach (getting paid) in chess when I had never played a rated game nor had one lesson. Typical for one having Catholic teachers who were probably in the same boat.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I was a professional coach (getting paid) in chess when I had never played a rated game nor had one lesson. Typical for one having Catholic teachers who were probably in the same boat.
    I think another factor to consider is: what is your overall professional standing among peers. Do they know you. Dvoretsky was not a GM (mega strong IM though - GM strength at his best) but best known coach. I think it is fair to say that in my field...I have a certain ''status''. Given how hard Desmond tried belittling me (and this effectively can do nothing but entertain me) makes me question...his status....as this is typical attitude of ''little people''' The question is ''should I bother replying'' or should I just continue to smile at his comments about me on threads that have little to do with me (or him).

And again...typical Leftist approach . This is why I often see revolutions as ''revolts of the underachievers''.
    Edit...will bother replying for as long as it entertains me
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 01-04-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Let me give you a simple example...based purely on qualifications rather than experience: If I do work on Website Performance Analysis (my ph.d thesis) - there are 3 dimensions: Informational Content, Functionality and Emotional Appeal.
    I mean, really, this is the sort of response I would expect from a Marketing person when they are asked about website performance. What colours did you use, and how did it make the users feel.

From an IT person standpoint, if you want to talk about website performance, let's talk about response times, error rates. Let's talk about web servers, app servers, dbase servers. Let's talk about LAMP stacks or throwing it up in AWS. Let's talk about html and flash. Let's talk about the SDLC. Lets talk about sessions and users. Let's talk about standing up infrastructure. Sure, we'll bring in some people from marketing to ask what colour they want it to be at some point, and they can make the really important decisions.

Functionality refers to assessing Website's technical processes as well as business ones. If you want to know more - can go back to my thesis and read . You've already started reading it I believe so keep going ....thesis is usually boring to read ...but you seem to be motivated enough
    Once again, I can assure you that I'm not the 1 person who has downloaded your marketing piece. Ever. But thanks for giving me a feel for it.

2) in My grad Education management studies (you can find the qualfication in My Linkedin next time you study it in depth) my project was ...E-Learning Systems .
    shall I go on?
    Again, using an LMS does not make you an IT person. Sounds like it was properly categorised as an Education topic.

Feel funny explaining something that obvious to someone who has an IT degree...may be this what IT degrees in Catholic unis were like at the turn of the century. Or may be i overestimate value of Undergrad
    Good that your explanation feels funny, because it sure sounds hilarious.

Thread Information