Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 1,666 to 1,675 of 1675
  1. #1666
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,111
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So government jobs are not jobs? They are not to be competed for?
    Make up your mind - do people employed by the government have an incentive to improve their skills or not!?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    In the real world: Socialism when fireman have no incentive to master their profession. Capitalism: in order to keep their jobs and advance careers furthers - fireman keep upskilling!

  2. #1667
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So government jobs are not jobs? They are not to be competed for?
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    In the real world: Socialism when fireman have no incentive to master their profession. Capitalism: in order to keep their jobs and advance careers furthers - fireman keep upskilling!
    Are you saying that Australian firefighters are low-skilled, and lack ongoing professional training?

  3. #1668
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Are you saying that Australian firefighters are low-skilled, and lack ongoing professional training?
    I'm sure Michael would be very keen to see people work in the field they have studied for.

    He wouldn't, for example, want to see people qualify in one field and then blunder their way forward in another.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  4. #1669
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    14,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Are you saying that Australian firefighters are low-skilled, and lack ongoing professional training?
    Do not put words into my mouth.
    I am saying that it is normal to have competition for jobs for everyone including firefighters. Even if they are highly skilled, they need to keep working and upskilling hard...or if others do an even better job - they can take over their jobs.
    I am not assessing their professional performance - I am simply stating that it is normal to have competition for jobs! I do not see how fire-fighting jobs are any different. More competition = better quality of service delivered!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  5. #1670
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,244
    Michael, all professionals must attend seminars etc to keep abreast of latest standards. You cant just kick professional people out of jobs on a whim. It can take years of experience etc to reach a competent level and cost society a hell out of a lot. I doubt you have had much experience in the real world - you can only open your mouth with platitudes. It is in every one's interests to maintain high standards, careers, loyalty and job security.

    Trump does this competition for jobs bulldust and has gotten him exactly nowhere but trouble. No one decent anymore will go near him.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  6. #1671
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,546

    South African Marxists crapping on property rights will turn them into Zimbabwe

    South Africa Considers Legislation That Would Allow the State to Seize Any Citizen’s Property
    Secure property rights are essential for economic growth and progress in the developed world.
    Chris Hattingh, FEE, 29 Mar 2020

    South Africans had until 29 February 2020 to comment on their country’s Draft Constitution Eighteenth Amendment Bill. The bill focuses on the expropriation by the state, of land and all “improvements” on it, and in some cases, at the apparent whim of government officials, of ‘nil’ compensation.

    The proposal indicates a desire on the part of many in the ruling party, the African National Congress (ANC), and the socialist so-called Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), to place South Africa squarely on paths similar to those followed by Venezuela and our neighbors to the north, Zimbabwe. Once enacted, the bill will result in a similar state of affairs to that which black South Africans were forced to endure under apartheid: a fundamental lack of security in their property, with the persistent threat of state seizure hanging over the entire population.

    Redress of past wrongs is a moral imperative. However, expropriation without compensation will not achieve that redress because it will dilute the property rights of black South Africans, wiping away the progress made since apartheid ended. The move towards no-compensation expropriation hearkens back to a time when South African society was partitioned into racial groups. How one could live, worship, trade, and work was determined by the whims of officials in government.

    The bill will empower state officials to seize any citizen’s property. This kind of power for the state betrays the constitutional objective of limiting government power, increases arbitrariness in the Constitution itself, and thus strongly undermines the rule of law. A weakening of property rights results in a weakening of the rule of law, a crucial institution South Africa needs for any sort of future prosperity.
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  7. #1672
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    20,546
    Capitalism Has Achieved What Marxism Merely Promised
    Marx’s disciples from Cuba and Venezuela to South Africa and Zimbabwe are committing the same mistake today.
    Marian L. Tupy, FEE, 20 Jul 2018

    Marxism was supposed to have brought about a lot of positive changes, including the creation of a classless society, where everyone lived in peace. To these ambitious goals can be added substantial reduction in the amount of labor required from the proletariat.

    Marx was wrong about many things. Famously, he thought that market competition would drive down profits, thus necessitating ever greater exploitation of the workers. But, as Johan Norberg of the Cato Institute points out in his 2017 book Progress: Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future, Marx had lived through a period of immense enrichment of the Western worker.

    “When Marx died in 1883,” Norberg writes, “the average Englishman was three times richer than he was when Marx was born, in 1818.” Blinded by his erroneous ideas, Marx could not see what was actually happening all around him.

    Marx’s disciples from Cuba and Venezuela to South Africa and Zimbabwe are committing the same mistake today. Crazed by their ideological hatred of the free market, they refuse to see that capitalism has delivered what Marx had long desired—less work and higher income. Plus ça change…
    “The history of the 20th century is full of examples of countries that set out to redistribute wealth and ended up redistributing poverty.”
    “There’s no point blaming the tragedies of socialism on the flaws or corruption of particular leaders. Any system which allows some people to exercise unbridled power over others is an open invitation to abuse, whether that system is called slavery or socialism or something else.”—Thomas Sowell

  8. #1673
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    13,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    What leads you equate Catholic education with poor education? You've been bad-mouthig Catholic ed for some time
    Indeed. One can just look at the Australian University Rankings in the world top 1000 Uni's list and find ACU quite readily. Perhaps Michael can point out where on the list his own institutions land. As I recall he had long-standing part-time tenure with CQU and Charles Sturt - neither of which are in the top 1000 of that list.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  9. #1674
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    14,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Capitalism Has Achieved What Marxism Merely Promised
    Marx’s disciples from Cuba and Venezuela to South Africa and Zimbabwe are committing the same mistake today.
    Marian L. Tupy, FEE, 20 Jul 2018

    Marxism was supposed to have brought about a lot of positive changes, including the creation of a classless society, where everyone lived in peace. To these ambitious goals can be added substantial reduction in the amount of labor required from the proletariat.

    Marx was wrong about many things. Famously, he thought that market competition would drive down profits, thus necessitating ever greater exploitation of the workers. But, as Johan Norberg of the Cato Institute points out in his 2017 book Progress: Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future, Marx had lived through a period of immense enrichment of the Western worker.

    “When Marx died in 1883,” Norberg writes, “the average Englishman was three times richer than he was when Marx was born, in 1818.” Blinded by his erroneous ideas, Marx could not see what was actually happening all around him.

    Marx’s disciples from Cuba and Venezuela to South Africa and Zimbabwe are committing the same mistake today. Crazed by their ideological hatred of the free market, they refuse to see that capitalism has delivered what Marx had long desired—less work and higher income. Plus ça change…
    Great read!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  10. #1675
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,910
    Posts moved

    Posts arising from #1673 and including comments on qualifications of various posters have been moved to the Michael Baron thread at http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....l=1#post464152

    I will consider any exchange between Michael and other posters discussing each others' qualifications to be on topic for that thread.

    Any discussion of this action may occur in the Help and Feedback section only.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •