Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NZ Champs 2008

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Spain-Thornton is a French Closed Tarrasch line that I play for both sides and have studied deeply, some variations beyond move 25. This game didn't even get that far!

Black's 12th is an unusual move order and perhaps a move order error. Black normally plays 12....Bxf4 13.Bxf4 Ne4 with tempo on the Nf4.

Instead of 16...g6?? which obviously loses, I think 16...Nf5 is the best try. But the idea of equalising quickly via 17...Ba6 can be stopped by 17.Qc3! with the idea that if ...Ba6, 18.Bxa6 and then white's queen defends d4 and controls e5, while white maneuvers N-f4-d3 with a very strong game. So, I think Jono is right that black is already worse.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Hardly a surprise that a GM like Chandler won convincingly, esp. when you realise how strong he was 20 years ago. Van R played very well on some games but dropped off the pace later. A very good result for Steadman, beating two IMs in the last two rounds, and McLaren, Spain and Hart had their best results in a NZ Champs as well IIRC. All those on 6 would be disappointed.
    I wonder what would happen if Puchen Wang played in the championship
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    NZ should be in uncharted territory at the Olympiad this year, with Chandler and the emerging star Puchen Wang. A shame for them that Igor jumped ship

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    NZ should be in uncharted territory at the Olympiad this year, with Chandler and the emerging star Puchen Wang.
    Would Chandler play for NZ again? Those two at the top would considerably strengthen the Kiwis.

A shame for them that Igor jumped ship
    I wasn't aware that IG was ever a Kiwi.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Would Chandler play for NZ again? Those two at the top would considerably strengthen the Kiwis. I wasn't aware that IG was ever a Kiwi.
    Chandler is playing SIO and will almost certainly play in Dresden.

Wang leaves for France in search of GM norms on 10/2/08 but will return to play SIO!

I think Pax meant Igor Bjelobrk not Goldenberg!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Chandler is playing SIO and will almost certainly play in Dresden.

Wang leaves for France in search of GM norms on 10/2/08 but will return to play SIO!
    Should be interesting to have both those strong Kiwis there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    I think Pax meant Igor Bjelobrk not Goldenberg!
    Makes sense. Just that IG was in the post directly above Pax' mention of "Igor".
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Would Chandler play for NZ again? Those two at the top would considerably strengthen the Kiwis.
    Well he's just moved back there (with Helen Milligan who is now the top rated female in NZ), and he has stated a desire to give something back to NZ chess. I don't see why he wouldn't go to the Olympiad.

Incidentally, I don't think it has been commented on much, but Chandler's new proximity to Australia should be a boost to events here (especially norm events). Indeed, we've already seen quite a lot of him in the last couple of years.

I wasn't aware that IG was ever a Kiwi.
    Sorry, yes was talking about Bjelobrk.

Well he's just moved back there (with Helen Milligan who is now the top rated female in NZ), and he has stated a desire to give something back to NZ chess. I don't see why he wouldn't go to the Olympiad.
    The Kiwis would appreciate it.

Incidentally, I don't think it has been commented on much, but Chandler's new proximity to Australia should be a boost to events here (especially norm events). Indeed, we've already seen quite a lot of him in the last couple of years.
    That would be very good. Chandler's best was better even than Rogers' best. Most of the time, the best Kiwis aren't as good as the best Aussies, although in Sarapu's best years in the 1950s and 1960s he was as good at or maybe better. With the demographics of the respective championships this year, the Aussie edge can only increase in the foreseeable future.

Thread Information