Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snails

Snails

This thread is for KB's benefit!

Daughter was given a Siamese fighting fish for her birthday. It is ensconced in a round glass bowl, gravel on the bottom, one plant (is growing furiously and we prune it every couple of weeks).

Decided to get a couple of snails, to clean up the rapidly growing fungus in the bowl. They're doing an awesome job, under trying circumstances -- the fish knows that they're alive and tries to fight with them. He will swim at them at high speed, puffing up his gills, then turn sideways and shake his body, occasionally knocking them off the glass and down again to the bottom of the tank.

My money is on the snails outlasting the fish.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I had a blue siamese fighting fish called Yahoo for a year and a half. At the start, he had 2 other fish in his tank - little silver ones called Romeo and Juliet, which he promptly... uh... "eliminated".

From then on he was in a tank on his own... he died when I went on holidays and the neigbour forgot to feed him

Anyway, the snails might outlast the fish... I reckon it's a 50-50 chance!
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Bettas are As Smart as Dolphines. Can easily train a betta and they watch everything A tv or rado will entertain A betta for hours.

-sprout85
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 15-11-2008 at 05:39 PM.
    Every One will Catch da Corona19 Virus, May God Help Us All
    You just can't reason with da BA.2.12.1 type Corona19 Virus...... IT DON'T CARE !!!1

Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

Well, I'd really only just finished posting #1 when we noticed both snails lying on the bottom of the tank, not moving. Watched them for a day or so ... nothing.

Thought I was going to have to come back here and eat humble pie ... when to our delight we noticed about a dozen microscopic baby snails crawling all around the fishtank.

That was last night. This morning, no sign of them. Unless they've all hidden in the gravel, my guess is that Fishy has already eaten his breakfast this morning.

I think I might get rid of the fish and start breeding snails instead.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

ROFL!!!

aww poor snails!

News Flash:
    Decided to clean the fish tank. Lifted out a large seashell that was in there for decoration ... on the underside of the large white shell was a tiny baby freshwater snail!

So we lifted out the one remaining parent snail and the one baby and have put them in a separate tank. Proceeded to vacuum the tank ... when ... hey presto ... discovered three more baby snails in the gravel ... managed to get them out safely and into the separate tank.

Once job complete, went to clean the vacuum ... noticed a piece of gravel jammed in the vacuum ... HEY! ... that's not gravel ... its another baby snail!!!

So we have five (5) babies and one adult. I feel like a proud grandparent. Does anyone want to see piccies?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    I feel like a proud grandparent. Does anyone want to see piccies?
    Post 'em Danno! (Not by snail mail )
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Sure, post pics of your 'kids'

BTW... you vacuum your tank?!

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Invertebrates generally make good pets but don't get too attached to them. Especially limpets.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    Well, I'd really only just finished posting #1 when we noticed both snails lying on the bottom of the tank, not moving. Watched them for a day or so ... nothing.
    Interesting that they should apparently snuff it immediately post breeding (and presumably the fish has nothing to do with it if they were not eaten).

I am not an authority on freshwater snails so it is difficult for me to comment usefully on this behaviour.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Might've just been exhausted. The 2nd one is hanging on, is still moving ever so slightly, and I can still see pink flesh (the other one turned grey over two days).

My daughter found another live baby hiding under the gravel last night, so we have 6 babies now. Piccies to follow soon, if I can work out how to transfer them from phone to computer ...

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    BTW... you vacuum your tank?!
    Long plastic tube, with a slightly larger diameter plastic bit attached to one end. Put the large end in the tank, the tube in your mouth, suck until water rises (being careful not to ingest fish poos!), then quickly put a finger over the end of the tube to hold the vacuum, lower the tube end into the sink and release finger, water flows by combination of gravity and vacuum ... then poke the large end around in the gravel in the tank and all the fish poos are sucked out into the sink!

Pic #1 is the fishy culprit ... suspected snail murderer ...

Pic #2 is the daddy/mommy snail (top) and two of the microscopic babies (circled) ... sorry for the focus issue, but they're so tiny I had to get really close, plus they're in a plastic container so I couldn't photograph them from the side, hence clarity through about 6 inches of water is poor
    Attached Images Attached Images

haha!

the siamese fighting fish looks just like yahoo did... I think all of those types are murdurers inside!

and those baby snails are tiny! how did you spot them?! I'd just assume they were a bit of a dirt or something

My daughter spotted them actually. Young eyes work better! Here's a much better picture of one of the babies. Its the largest of the little ones ... it was attached to one of the little pieces of gravel, so I got it out with a teaspoon and laid the spoon next to it on a piece of white paper. The snail is the little brown thing on the side of the gravel. The teaspoon is for scale (its normal size, about 14cm) which means the snail is roughly 1-2mm diameter I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information