Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,225

    Weight loss stories.

    Hi everyone

    A week or so ago, it come to my attention that HeavyKnight has lost a huge amount of weight this year. Therefore I thought it would be cool to create a thread about weight loss stories, tips, and aspirations.

    No doubt weight loss is an issue for most of us, as western society become more affluent and attuned to instant gratification. Advertising doesn't help either, with all those gorgeous thin models scoffing chocolate bars, greasy hamburgers, sugar soft drinks, and the like.

    okay, let get on with it, I'll go first...

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,225

    my tale (abridged version).

    I was bought up in a fat household and was always overweight. Even in my earliest memories I was obese. In fact, it came as something of a shcok when I was 21 that I saw a photo of myself as a baby for the first time (at a friends 21st, it was a game of ‘match the baby to the person’) and was stunned that I looked normal.

    By the time I was almost 22 (I am now 38) I weighed 165kg. On New Years eve 1990 I decided I would not eat for a while and lose some weight. By mid February I had dropped to 141kg, approx 50 pounds in 50 days. I drank some orange juice, coffee, and perhaps the odd glass of milk but I can’t remember. Days 3 to 7 were the hardest, after that I wasn’t hungry at all although I remember my tongue being fuzzy and slimy all the time.

    After that time I ate a bit more and got down to about 120kg over the next year or so. No starvation diets this time but there were lengths of time when I would only eat one meal a day at lunchtime. I was always hungrier when eating one meal a day then not at all.

    Over the next several years my weight hovered between 100 and 120 kg. It would come down a little, go up a bit, go down, go up. But never back to 165 kg. I always thought for some reason that 100kg was something of an invisible barrier, even though my body-mass-index was still in the overweight range (my height is 195.5 cm).

    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I weighed myself yesterday and come in at 92.6kg, which is over 70kg light then at my zenith. My BMI is now in the normal range and it feels great to be fit.

    The last 15 kilo’s or so in the 6 months or so have been the result of exercise and eating the right types of food. I do 5 weight sessions a week and the odd jog. Eating is all about foods high in protein or low GI carbs, and severely limiting food high in fat and high GI carbs.

  3. #3
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275
    An excellent thread Garrett. Good to hear your story. Since you asked me to put my shout here in the thread (to make me more accountable!) here it is:

    It's not much of a story really: I've been in the normal range most of my life but too much contentment (love my food ) seems to have made my weight creep up in the last 3 to 5 years and especially the last 2. I'm above healthy now despite what hk says (my doctor even thinks so, pointed it out in fact... and despite me knowing this I haven't been able to shift the extra weight. You would think it would be easy but I've found it very difficult and have just maintained my new weight...)

    Anyway, I don't have much to contribute at the moment but hopefully will in 6 months time as I've decided to run a half marathon in May next year- it needs to be a half marathon as a 10 km fun run just won't scare me into exercising enough. I'm interested in the challenge as it will really require me to get fit and I used to love the feeling of being fit ... it's also likely to result in some weight loss which would be good.

    I'll report back.
    Last edited by Watto; 10-12-2007 at 08:32 AM.

  4. #4
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275

    The Great Ocean Road International Marathon

    Quote Originally Posted by heavyknight
    Hi Michael
    I prefer my Elwood to Port Melbourne then back to St Kilda, Elwood almost daily half jogging half power walking routine!
    By the way how about having a Chess players' team participating in Watto's event in May? No SA comments here please, I am serious!
    Cheers and good luck!
    hk posted this on the Doeberl Cup thread.

    I don’t know about getting a team together but here’s a link to the event in question, May 17-18 2008, for anyone who’s interested in running/walking through beautiful scenery. The first two shorter runs are on Saturday (6.5 km, 14 km) and the longer runs on the Sunday (half marathon and marathon, 23 km and 45 km for this race) http://www.greatoceanroadmarathon.com.au/

    Now, where's your promised weight loss story for this thread hk? Are you just waiting for it to be even more impressive?!

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I was bought up in a fat household and was always overweight. Even in my earliest memories I was obese. In fact, it came as something of a shcok when I was 21 that I saw a photo of myself as a baby for the first time (at a friends 21st, it was a game of ‘match the baby to the person’) and was stunned that I looked normal.

    By the time I was almost 22 (I am now 38) I weighed 165kg. On New Years eve 1990 I decided I would not eat for a while and lose some weight. By mid February I had dropped to 141kg, approx 50 pounds in 50 days. I drank some orange juice, coffee, and perhaps the odd glass of milk but I can’t remember. Days 3 to 7 were the hardest, after that I wasn’t hungry at all although I remember my tongue being fuzzy and slimy all the time.

    After that time I ate a bit more and got down to about 120kg over the next year or so. No starvation diets this time but there were lengths of time when I would only eat one meal a day at lunchtime. I was always hungrier when eating one meal a day then not at all.

    Over the next several years my weight hovered between 100 and 120 kg. It would come down a little, go up a bit, go down, go up. But never back to 165 kg. I always thought for some reason that 100kg was something of an invisible barrier, even though my body-mass-index was still in the overweight range (my height is 195.5 cm).

    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I weighed myself yesterday and come in at 92.6kg, which is over 70kg light then at my zenith. My BMI is now in the normal range and it feels great to be fit.

    The last 15 kilo’s or so in the 6 months or so have been the result of exercise and eating the right types of food. I do 5 weight sessions a week and the odd jog. Eating is all about foods high in protein or low GI carbs, and severely limiting food high in fat and high GI carbs.
    very inspirational story

    We should eat to live rather than live to eat
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,687

    my story

    If you look on one of the notice boards of the Box Hill Chess Club you will see a photo taken at Ergas where I am way overweight. In the last twelve months i have lost seven kilos approximately. my chess has improved.

    My techniques are

    1) sensible diet
    - lots of veges
    - fish
    - chicken
    - red meat in moderation
    - no junk
    - splenda rather than sugar (I made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble yesterday.)
    - zero fat milk,
    -wheatbix or oatmeal cereals.

    2) exercise
    - weights two or three times a week as part of a seniors circuit at a local gymnasium.
    - walking . If too hot or too wet to walk I put a stomping DVD on the Hi-fidelity stereo set up and leap around in the lounge (currently the Fats Domino tribute album). Maybe I should reconnect my turntable and play Ray Charles at Newport.

    I only lose weight at about half a kilo a week.

    Next year I want to lose another 5 kilos and build more muscle. The target is mid June so that I can do a few day trips to Mount Buller and then ski my socks off at Treble Cone ski field.

    Hint to all the youngies. Go to a mixed class full of hunks and spunks. As your weight and fitness improve you will meet interesting people.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,225

    Thanks David

    Thanks for the post David.

    Sounds like your diet is spot on - no need for fancy diets. It never ceases to amaze me how many diets are out there. Of course there is money in the 'fat' industry, it's an increasingly large market. Some of the diets seem downright dangerous (not that I have any qualifications in this field).

    One thing which has piqued my interest in recent months is the low G.I. concept. I have switched to low G.I. breads and I think this may have contributed to a bit more weight loss than I would have expected even though my total caloric intake remains the same. Has anyone else tried this ? The low GI breads seem a bit more expensive though.

    Good luck with the goals - skiing sounds like fun.

  8. #8
    CC Candidate Master DanielBell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    174
    http://tnation.com

    Those guys know what they are talking about when they talk about fat loss and muscle building.

    I did a low carbohydrate diet suggested by Christian Tabitheu(sp), which is basically 1.5 gram protein per lb lean body weight, 20 - 30g of carbs, and the rest of your daily calories from fats, with a day and a half of carbohydrate refeed (cheat) on the weekend.

    I was consistently losing half a kg a week which at my weight is optimal to minimize muscle loss. People who are much more overweight than I am can safely lose 1kg a week.. Wouldn't push more than that though.

    Meals were basically things like steak with GREEN vegetables and olive oil. Chicken with GREEN vegetables and olive oil. Fish with GREEN vegetables and olive oil, so you get the drift.. A protein source, GREEN vegetables and some additional fats. Green vegetables (excluding peas which is starchy) are simply for fibre and also help fill you up. Drink a lot of water as your body will not hold it without all the carbs most people eat.
    All Blacks for the Rugby World Cup 2011!

    http://www.chess.com/echess/profile/DanielBell
    Challenge me to a game at Chess.com!

    http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/
    LibertariaNZ

    http://www.theadvocates.org/
    Advocates for Self-Government - Libertarian Education


  9. #9
    CC Candidate Master DanielBell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Thanks for the post David.

    Sounds like your diet is spot on - no need for fancy diets. It never ceases to amaze me how many diets are out there. Of course there is money in the 'fat' industry, it's an increasingly large market. Some of the diets seem downright dangerous (not that I have any qualifications in this field).

    One thing which has piqued my interest in recent months is the low G.I. concept. I have switched to low G.I. breads and I think this may have contributed to a bit more weight loss than I would have expected even though my total caloric intake remains the same. Has anyone else tried this ? The low GI breads seem a bit more expensive though.

    Good luck with the goals - skiing sounds like fun.
    It's quite simple. Carbohydrates are high energy, fat is low energy. If you feed your body with a lot of high energy foods then you need to do a lot of activity in order to use all that energy.

    Low GI carbs give your body a lower inslin response to foods. Insulin is a storage hormone and when it spikes it starts to store things, which is good when you've just worked out and your muscles have nu fuel in them, excess carbs get stored in your muscles, but when you spike your insulin (with a glass of coke or some other sugary high GI food) when your body is already replenished, it just stored everything as fat. Low GI carbs just release slowly, so the insulin release is not a spike.

    The idea of the carbohydrate refeed in the diet i mentioned above to to replenish glycogen stores in your muscle, which all through the week are being drained by weight training. When your muscle cannot get energy from glycogen in the muscles, it turns to fat reserves. Which is the idea behind the diet.
    All Blacks for the Rugby World Cup 2011!

    http://www.chess.com/echess/profile/DanielBell
    Challenge me to a game at Chess.com!

    http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/
    LibertariaNZ

    http://www.theadvocates.org/
    Advocates for Self-Government - Libertarian Education


  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    hk posted this on the Doeberl Cup thread.

    I don’t know about getting a team together but here’s a link to the event in question, May 17-18 2008, for anyone who’s interested in running/walking through beautiful scenery. The first two shorter runs are on Saturday (6.5 km, 14 km) and the longer runs on the Sunday (half marathon and marathon, 23 km and 45 km for this race) http://www.greatoceanroadmarathon.com.au/
    Looks like an interesting event. 23km would be quite a run.

    Good luck in the race Watto !!

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,225

    re: Daniel's link.

    Thanks for the posts Daniel.

    The link you posted in your first post didn't work for me though..

    Good to hear you are achieving some success.

    How long have you been on the diet and how much have you lost ?

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    I made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble yesterday
    Right. Everybody 'round to Dave's place. Let's go! Yum!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  13. #13
    CC Candidate Master DanielBell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Thanks for the posts Daniel.

    The link you posted in your first post didn't work for me though..

    Good to hear you are achieving some success.

    How long have you been on the diet and how much have you lost ?
    http://www.t-nation.com/

    Sorry about that!

    I was on it about 6 months and lost 15kg. I was roughly 130kg when I started and got down to 115kg, I've been lazy for the past 6 months with dieting (still hit the gym, just eat too much crap), so I've put on a couple of kilo, I think I'm up at about 118kg now, hasn't moved much lately as I start to feel fat and it motivates me to eat a bit cleaner. I've already arranged it with my brother and we will be going to the gym together over there, as long as I don't lose the motivation to lift weights I will do alright, I really enjoy weight training.

    Unfortunately for me, diet is the HARDEST part, and as the articles on T-Nation will tell you, diet is the most important part of changing your physique.

    Note: By eating crap i dont mean Pizza and mcdonalds, I mean missing meals, over eating meals, etc.. Usually the meals I eat would be considered 'healthy', I just don't regulate it properly.
    All Blacks for the Rugby World Cup 2011!

    http://www.chess.com/echess/profile/DanielBell
    Challenge me to a game at Chess.com!

    http://www.libertarianz.org.nz/
    LibertariaNZ

    http://www.theadvocates.org/
    Advocates for Self-Government - Libertarian Education


  14. #14
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,687

    low GI bread

    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Thanks for the post David.

    Sounds like your diet is spot on - no need for fancy diets. It never ceases to amaze me how many diets are out there. Of course there is money in the 'fat' industry, it's an increasingly large market. Some of the diets seem downright dangerous (not that I have any qualifications in this field).

    One thing which has piqued my interest in recent months is the low G.I. concept. I have switched to low G.I. breads and I think this may have contributed to a bit more weight loss than I would have expected even though my total caloric intake remains the same. Has anyone else tried this ? The low GI breads seem a bit more expensive though.

    Good luck with the goals - skiing sounds like fun.
    Yes I always buy the low GI bread. It not only helps with weight it also helps keep down the bad things such as cholesterol.

    There are some great cook books oiut there. look out for the ones put out by The various State Governments, heart foundation etc.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,421
    Recently, i switched to Lebanse Hobz bread.

    It is Holesterol free and 98% fat free. Furthermore, it is very light
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •