Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems with installing Fritz 11

We recently bought a Fritz 11 dvd. Guy tried installing it on his laptop which didnít work so he then tried his main computer. They just wonít recognise the dvd (no icon of any sort appears on the screen) so we canít actually get to the point of installing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems unlikely to be a faulty disc but what else could it be? Any ideas would be much appreciatedÖ it couldnít be his firewall could it?

If you need more info, Iíll get Gattaca to respond as he knows more than I do about his set up.

Doubt it's the firewall if the dvd isn't even recognised. This would either point to your DVD-ROM or the disc itself. Given that it's happening on 2 computers, I'd be inclined to believe it was the disc.

No useful suggestions, sorry. Can you try it in someone else's PC? It might be an issue common to your computers (eg some software you have installed or something).

EDIT: are you running Windows Vista? This thread would seem to suggest that it's a Vista/region coding issue if you are.
    Last edited by Southpaw Jim; 02-01-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    "the other lefty"

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Euro.

No, the laptop is running Windows XP and so is the desktop comp. The laptop has Open Office installed instead of MS Office, but that surely can't be it... and anyway, the desktop uses MS Office. My own hunch is that the disc is faulty, as neither computer seems to even be able to get to first base in reading it.

If no-one else has had a similar problem we'll just have to return it I guess.

Thanks,

Guy.

It could still be a region coding issue with your DVD-ROM drive (regardless of which Windows you're using) - I believe some are not 'region-free' (most are, but..). A friend of mine had real issues with his first DVD-ROM drive, and ended up replacing it - it wouldn't read blank/burnt dvds (and he runs XP).

If this is the case, then getting a replacement copy of Fritz won't help.

Or it could be the disc. I'd still give it a go in another computer if you can get access to one, especially if there's no evidence of physical damage to the disc (scratches, delamination).

I can't imagine that OO or MS-O would have any effect at all.

Cheers,

James.
    "the other lefty"

CC International Master

really primitive suggestions

First

1) Bring up the command prompt you will find it under accessories

2) then go z:/ where z is the drive

3) insert a disc that normally works

3) then type dir

4) you should see a list of files on the disc. If this does not work then you have some piece of bodgie software on both machines. If so make another posting on this newsgroup and I will make further suggestions.

5) assuming that you see the list of files on the disc then insert the disc you are having troubles with.

6) type dir. If you are lucky you will see a list of files. One of them will be the installer, probably a .exe file. run it and hope like hell.

7) if when you do the dir it cannot recognise the disc you most probably have a bodgie disc but try the procedure on both machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    It could still be a region coding issue with your DVD-ROM drive (regardless of which Windows you're using) - I believe some are not 'region-free' (most are, but..). A friend of mine had real issues with his first DVD-ROM drive, and ended up replacing it - it wouldn't read blank/burnt dvds (and he runs XP).

If this is the case, then getting a replacement copy of Fritz won't help.

Or it could be the disc. I'd still give it a go in another computer if you can get access to one, especially if there's no evidence of physical damage to the disc (scratches, delamination).

I can't imagine that OO or MS-O would have any effect at all.

Cheers,

James.
    Actually most PC DVD drives are not region free. The first time a region encoded dic is inserted the hardware will normally set itself to that region. After that a limited number of region changes are permitted (usually 4 more) after which the region code is set.
    Sometimes you can find hacked firmware on the web for particular DVD drives that will allow the regio code to be bypassed. There are also some software utilities that will allow the bypassing of the region encoding check.

However software DVD's such as Fritz have no DVD region number anyway and as such should not cause any issues in that regards.

Given it fails on 2 machines the most likely cause for Guy's problem is that the Fritz DVD is faulty.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Actually most PC DVD drives are not region free.
    I stand corrected!

However software DVD's such as Fritz have no DVD region number anyway and as such should not cause any issues in that regards.
    Unless, as suggested in the thread I linked to above, the system - in this case XP - is, for some reason, looking for a region code that isn't there (because it's software). I'm no expert, so I could be well off the garden path, but - if this is what is happening - then it could be peculiar to Guy's XP installs. Hence the suggestion to try it on someone else's machine, which is probably less hassle than returning it straight away. In all probability (see below), it'll return the same result.

Given it fails on 2 machines the most likely cause for Guy's problem is that the Fritz DVD is faulty.
    Agreed.

Another path that could be trodden is to actually contact ChessBase.
    "the other lefty"

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input. We’ll try them out tonight. And will also try on another comp just to make sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrash
    Hence the suggestion to try it on someone else's machine, which is probably less hassle than returning it straight away. In all probability (see below), it'll return the same result.
    Another path that could be trodden is to actually contact ChessBase.
    Well, the plot thickens. Iíve tried the dvd here at work and itís been immediately recognised with an option to install or close; so a good suggestion on your part.

Time to look more closely at our set up and then contact chessbase I guess.

Aha! Good to hear you're getting somewhere. It's interesting that it's happening on both your machines. I'll ask around, see if I can get some more 'expert' suggestions on possible causes.
    "the other lefty"

CC International Master

the plot thickens

I found a posting on Chesspublishing.com where someone was having the same problem. No solution though.

Can you copy the DVD at work and then try installing at home.

I've spoken to my brother, who has worked in IT - he reckons that the fact that it's rejected by 2 dvd drives suggests that it is, in fact, still a problem with the disc, most likely a problem in the physical manufacturing.

He suggests the same as David above, make a copy of the disc (if you can) and see if that works. If it does, then it's the disc. If the copy doesn't work, it's more likely a problem with your dvd drives. However, given that neither of your home PCs will recognise it, this may not be easy to do (I know I couldn't copy a dvd here at work).

If you bought it from a physical store (ie you don't have to mail it back), it may be less hassle to just return it and see if a new copy will work.
    Last edited by Southpaw Jim; 03-01-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    "the other lefty"

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks guys, for all the suggestions.

I think I'll get one of my IT guys to come around and check it out, as it might be a problem not just specific to this DVD. I didn't want to have to do this, as it costs, but it seems there is quite possibly a configurational or software issue and I need to rule that out.

I'll let you know what it turned out to be.

Appreciate the help.

Guy.

Have you/do you have issues with other dvds?

Good luck!
    "the other lefty"

Sometimes it's the simple things...

It is a DVD drive you have in both machines, right? Not CD only?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information