Deep Shredder 11 for Mac

I've had Deep Shredder 11 for Mac for a few days and would recommend that Mac users avoid it.

I was really disappointed with the lack of detail in the Mac pdf manual and found Shredder for Mac to be a stripped down port of the PC one.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless
    I've had Deep Shredder 11 for Mac for a few days and would recommend that Mac users avoid it.

I was really disappointed with the lack of detail in the Mac pdf manual and found Shredder for Mac to be a stripped down port of the PC one.
    Hi Sleepless (or anyone),

Is this still your opinion six weeks on. I was about to buy Deep Shredder 11 for Mac when I found your post.

My main use is analysis of games I have played, and definitely need multi variations, would like a separate variations board, and evaluation profile (last two like Fritz).

I am not bothered about board styles and bells and whistles, basic 2D board with no sound is fine.

Any more comment on the use of Deep Shredder 11 for Mac would be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

CC Rookie

Also interested in Deed Shredder 11 for Mac . . .

. . . but it's expensive enough to want to check it out first. Is there a demo available for this?

Mikebore, have you checked out Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP for Mac. It supposedly runs at a 2900 Elo on my 2.2 GHz MacBook.

It has a very strong engine with a good sense for positional lines and I use the analysis function when entering a game. It's clunky - not intuitive, and it's basically so un-Mac like that it's a pain to use, although it does its job.
    It sound like Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP might be worth a look.

CC Candidate Master

Me beating Hiarcs 10.2 on Macbook!

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild Jack
    . . . but it's expensive enough to want to check it out first. Is there a demo available for this?

Mikebore, have you checked out Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP for Mac. It supposedly runs at a 2900 Elo on my 2.2 GHz MacBook.
    Are you sure its 2900 - I just played (my first game) a 3 + 5s game and drew it with surprising ease. I'm on a 2.2Ghz Macbook too!

It had 8 seconds on its clock. I had 2 minutes! I don't think it's 2900 though. I'm white.

PGN Viewer

CC Rookie

Deep Shredder 11 freezes

Hi! I have had Deep Shredder 11 for one year now. I would say it is definitely worth the money. It is a very good program with great positional sense. My FIDE rating is 2185, and Deep Shredder beats me 99% of the time.

I use the program right now just to keep my senses sharp. I play blitz games, and it beats me soundly.

About four times since I bought it, the program froze.

It happens like this: I play an unusual move order (to avoid its massive library) and then, after one of my moves, the program will think...and think...and think...and lose on time!

I believe there is some kind of bug in the program.

Other than this, which happens very infrequently, I highly recommend it. It is a very good training tool.

Kamalakanta

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by hilenperles
    Hi, I am new here. I view all posts. Good disscussion here.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your Online Classic and Boutique from Guangzhou, Welcome to jewelry Fantasy, Welcome to China Jewelry Factory, Fashion can be high quality
    Hi. We welcome you but your posts are getting a bit repettitive. No need to post that you have viewed a discussion. Just post a contribution to it.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

It's just standard bot-speak, Jon. Just a little patter that the human behind the bot writes to intimate that the bot has actually read anything at all when of course it haven't.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master

other possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Kamalakanta
    Hi! I have had Deep Shredder 11 for one year now. I would say it is definitely worth the money. It is a very good program with great positional sense. My FIDE rating is 2185, and Deep Shredder beats me 99% of the time.

I use the program right now just to keep my senses sharp. I play blitz games, and it beats me soundly.

About four times since I bought it, the program froze.

It happens like this: I play an unusual move order (to avoid its massive library) and then, after one of my moves, the program will think...and think...and think...and lose on time!

I believe there is some kind of bug in the program.

Other than this, which happens very infrequently, I highly recommend it. It is a very good training tool.

Kamalakanta
    I have run deep Shredder 10 on Windows. Deep Shredder is very processor intensive. Be carefull on the size of your hash tables. I had the total freeze of horror from time to time on windows which turned out to be that my power supply had insufficient redundancy. So make sure that as few other programs are running at the same time as deep shredder as possible. Incidentally Deep Shredder 10 is very very good. On my testing on Windows it is only a little weaker and slower than Rybka 3.

Thread Information