CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar

Inspirational Chess Players

Who has had an inspirational effect in your chess career? It might be famous chess players, people from your local club, or other people might have had an effect on your chess experience.

1/ My Mother's Stepfather - He taught me how to play chess whilst I was living at his place. After our family moved into our new house at Picton we would go up there almost every sunday and we'd bring out the chess board for a game. We played regularly until he was hospitalised with cancer which ended up seeing him checkmated.

2/ The next person that comes to mind as an inspiration to me is no GM or IM. Nor is he a player rated over 2000 - or 1000 for that matter. This person is Alex Momot. The Blind chess player who now resides in Gosford. I enjoy chatting to this gentleman at the various tournaments I go to. (He makes a bit of noise but....). I enjoy watching him play with his special board, hands going all over the place, trying to get the position into his head. I have not had the opportunity to play him in a competitive tournament but have had the chance to play a friendly. I think he is an inspiration because he still enjoys chess with his disability. I hope that, god forbid, if I ever lose the rest of my sight I would still enjoy the game that I love.

There are more but I'll leave it at this at the moment
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

That blind gentlemen sounds like a very inspirational player. For me I would say Petrosian because he played the game in a way I aspire to play.

I too am a fan of Alex's, it is inspiring to watch him play. Another amazing facet is that Alex can arrive at a playing venue, get a guided tour around to familiarise himself with the facilities and then proceed to find his way around unaided for the remainder of the weekend.
    As for the big league guys, I have always had admiration for Kortschnoj, his efforts flew in the face of officialdom and he upset the accepted wisdom about when a chess player should be retiring, and is still doing so. His chess style reflects this, he fights to the last, and often plays moves that are simply unfathomable to me. I even forgive his foibles, as any sportsmen will tell you that rational behaviour and desire to win aren't the best of companions
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

Lasker

For me, Emanuel Lasker. World champion for 27 years I think.
    He makes chess seem so simple. (IMO neither Fischer nor Kasparov had this ability.) But its not so for me....
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    1. My 80 year old father-in-law. He got me interested in chess about 2 years back and has been a real inspiration for me. I'll be going to visit him come January.
    2. My brother-in-law Steven comes next for encouraging and teaching this patzer in spite of the fact I've never beaten him.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The two famous players whose games I have derived the most inspiration from, in completely different directions, are Capablanca, because he makes it look so simple, and Shirov, because (on his best days) he makes it look so incredible.

Thread Information