Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Suspended

Chess performance of 07 and 08 targets

Hi

With the December targets released

This thread is for people to review how well their chess has gone this year and to set targets for next year

Account Suspended
    This year my rating improved 215 points over 27 games to 1441, which is past my target of 1375. I've also past the 1400 which I thought would NEVER happen 18 months ago. (B grade performance for year).

Target next year is 1590 or 5xgames played improvement (whichever is less)

Account Suspended
    This year my rating improved 215 points over 27 games to 1441, which is past my target of 1375. I've also past the 1400 which I thought would NEVER happen 18 months ago. (B grade performance for year).

Target next year is 1590 or 5xgames played improvement (whichever is less)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    This year my rating improved 215 points over 27 games to 1441, which is past my target of 1375.)
    That's a noteworthy effort Cam. Well done.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Having played just a handful of games in the past year, my objective is to play 20 rated games in 2008 and to get my rating to over 1600 (which has been my long term goal since 2004 when it was languishing at 1114).

There ... I've said it now ... I'm committed ...
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

I don't much care about my rating and I'm mildly amused by how much it swings.
    My 'target' next year is to absolutely demolish a particular player who caused a major scene during a Pennant match when he would not accept an arbiter's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless
    My 'target' next year is to absolutely demolish a particular player who caused a major scene during a Pennant match when he would not accept an arbiter's decision.
    Revenge: a dish best served cold ... I'm impressed !
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Although I have tied for first in three of the five tournaments I have played in this year my play has generally been pretty dreadful. One of the equal firsts should have been an outright first but I squandered it; in another (against a relatively weak field) I played badly enough that I was lucky to get more than 3/6.

My rating target, as always, is to be ahead of firegoat7.

(Getting over 2000 again would be nice, but it's hard work and I've got 47 points to recover to get back up there again.)

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Primary Goal: Only 21 rated games in 2007. My aim will be to try to lift this number. Life is getting in the way though.

Secondary Goal: From 21 games there were 7 draws. I'd be happier if I have 3 less draws provided I converted 2 to wins and only 1 to a loss.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

this year

dec 06 : 1281 --> dec 07 : 1146 (-135)

4 tournaments

4 W
    2 +B
    1 +F
    2 D
    22 L

a castleus horribilis

next year

learn to prepare better and relax more
    have the right frame of mind at the board
    no point saying "i want to win x % of games"
    my approach to chess has to change first

read sign and PS please

Read below pls. Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Quote Originally Posted by heavyknight
    Read below pls. Cheers and good luck!
    Man, that's really impressive! With that degree of weight loss you'll have to buy a smaller chess set

But you'll note that one loses 3 rating points per kilo of weight. That may explain why so many top chess players over the years have been reasonably slim. Another explanation is that they spent so much on chess books and earned so little from chess that they couldn't afford food or drink.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Background:
    Started competitive/club chess in 2006, with no tactical knowledge. Got walloped accordingly, scoring a miserable 2/25.

2007:
    Gained 113 points thanks to a 2.5/14 score in the club championships. Should gain another 70-100 points in the March 08 list thanks to a 3.5/10 performance in the club 60'10". Highlights include draws against a 1700 and a 1500, and wins against a couple of 1300s.

2008:
    Practice more tactics and endgame, learn more about attacking, finish a few books in my chess 'library'. Beat one particular player (high 1400s) who in 3 games I've failed to put away. Play more chess online, ideally 4-5 standard games a week, to put my learning into action (one game a week at the club isn't enough). Hopefully all this will lift me another 100 points above whatever my March 08 rating is. Other targets: improve my tennis rating, take better photos.
    Last edited by Southpaw Jim; 01-12-2007 at 10:42 PM.
    "the other lefty"

More of a pipe-dream than a target, but
    I'd like to get to >2000 one day.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Boris

I believe you certainly could get to >2000. Playing in the same pool as a heap of fast improving players is not going to help.

Perhaps you could play in a few FIDE rated events. My guess is your initial rating would come in at >2000.

Cheers
    George.

Thread Information