CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar

Regarding John Hanks

Hello, everyone,

Some time ago, at least a month and maybe more, Ex MCC Committee member, and previous Club Champion, Slobodan ( Bob ) Krstic called me to tell me that he had learned of the whereabouts of John Hanks after searching for him at his previous address. Bob then visited with John who is still quite with us in the sense of lucidity, though is apparently a little forgetful of persons names at times.

He has moved to: 33 Upper Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe, which is the site of the Airlie home, who can be contacted on (03) 9499 5046. Apparently John had become frail enough that this move was arranged, I am fairly sure with his consent, albeit begrudgingly.

I am sure that anyone who has met John will acknowledge him for the font of knowledge of Australian Chess that he is, and may wish to avail themselves of the opportunity to visit with him, which is permissible from 11 am onwards.

I urge people to visit, if they are in the area, and have had acquaintance with him.

Finally, I must apologise to Bob Krstic. It is terribly bad that it took me so long to post this, and I am sorry Bob,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

CC Candidate Master
    My dad received the following email, dated May 19th, at his work, VicRoads. In the 1960s, he and Hanks both worked at the Kew head office of the then-called Country Roads Board. I have also appended a funny Hanks anecdote from my dad. Anyway, feel free to pin this up at Melbourne Chess Club or elsewhere, or to pass this on to anyone who might be interested in visiting him. [Note: I think the email address for the Lifestyle co-ordinator is a typo, since the website of the facility at 24 Sutherland Street appears to be http://www.bupacare.com.au/our-facil...ia/coburg.asp].

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dick
    Hi all,

Visited John Hanks yesterday in his new facility, John has moved about 6 weeks ago and the Lifestyle co-ordinator Jenny Puxley has requested that I convey to her ( Jenny.Puxley@bucacare.com.au) any work issues that John got up to and significant projects he worked on as he has started to lose his memory, and by Jenny relating items to him it helps with communication.

John was an Australian Chess Champion, very good tennis player and later a net - cord judge at Championship tennis tournaments, and worked at Vic Roads for 43 years- in fact may hold the record. He was responsible for most of Vic Roads Test Methods and Specifications being adopted and was a critic and proof reader of all technical reports from the Lygon St days to Kew until he retired about 17 years ago.

He also was a hostile " Swans Supporter" and loved all teams other than Collingwood.

If you can help with the memories please contact Jenny as it will assist in communication particularly with his new neighbours.

(See attached file: mini-100_2207.jpg)- indicating the Emily Lenny residential aged care facility Sutherland St Coburg- off street parking available

(See attached file: mini-100_2208.jpg)- entrance via the white doors

(See attached file: mini-100_2209.jpg)- indicating John drifting off in the chair, I was able to get about 30minutes of chit chat prior to John drifting, so if you can visit briefly it will assist to ensure he settles in to the facility.

Kind Regards,

Doug Dick
    Team Leader Surveillance & Audit
    VicRoads, Technical Consulting
    Level 1, 12 Lakeside Drive
    Burwood East, Victoria, Australia 3151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Davies
    One of the stories on John's retirement was that he retired on a Friday, and before his office & desk could be re-assigned he was back early the following Monday, in the chair again. This continued for approx. 6 months, until one day he was not there any more. I was told it later transpired that he was achieving a personal service milestone, which I thought may have been 45 years, but I'm not sure of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How odd? Last night, I was going through some old CW issues and looked at games by Hanks.

(I am writing a review of Casey's book and needed to do some background research).

AR

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Hello everyone,

It is with regret that I must announce that John Hanks passed away yesterday. I was informed by John Lavery. It is a sad day for Australian Chess. Vale John.

It is not a matter of God being on your side; it is a matter of being on God's side that matters

[Event "Tel Aviv ol (Men) qual-E"]
    [Site "Tel Aviv"]
    [Date "1964.??.??"]
    [Round "4"]
    [White "Filip, Miroslav"]
    [Black "Hanks, John"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ECO "E50"]
    [WhiteElo "2510"]
    [PlyCount "158"]
    [EventDate "1964.11.02"]
    [EventType "team"]
    [EventRounds "7"]
    [EventCountry "ISR"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [WhiteTeam "CSR"]
    [BlackTeam "AUS"]
    [WhiteTeamCountry "CSR"]
    [BlackTeamCountry "AUS"]

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 08-06-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added pgn tags

Quote Originally Posted by macavity
    Hello everyone,

It is with regret that I must announce that John Hanks passed away yesterday. I was informed by John Lavery. It is a sad day for Australian Chess. Vale John.

Is he having a Christian burial?

CC FIDE Master
    An obituary was published in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday 8th June 2009.

See SMH
    Last edited by peter_parr; 10-06-2009 at 01:08 PM.

I have not read yet but Ian Rogers put his whole column on him in this week's Byron Echo that is online. Ian reveals how Mr Hanks also defeated him and tried to sabotage Mr Ozols from receiving the Aust Master title.
    And also that he gave mouth back to John McEnro when he was linesman for his games.

Thread Information