View Poll Results: What rating makes a Super GM?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any GM is super-dooper by me

1 10.00%
  • 2600+

0 0%
  • 2650+

2 20.00%
  • 2700+

4 40.00%
  • 2710+

0 0%
  • 2720+

0 0%
  • 2730+

1 10.00%
  • 2740+

1 10.00%
  • 2750+

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Define Super GM

Define Super GM

The question of what makes a super GM arose in another thread. I came across this page which lists players' peak ratings of those over 2699. Quite an impressive bunch, but maybe some people would crop the list more, or indeed less. So cast your vote.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Account Suspended
    Personally, I dont think a super GM (I prefer great Grandmaster) should be decided by ratings.

I'd prefer having the requirement of holding the World Championship for x years. The chess community should try and keep some meaning to the title with they want it and really make it an exclusive honour. No more than 1-2 every 10 years or generation at the most.

note - Personally, I think the standards for GM should be increased to 2600 and IM to 2500. There's to many GM and IM in the world today, decreasing its value.
    Last edited by CameronD; 06-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    note - Personally, I think the standards for GM should be increased to 2600 and IM to 2500. There's to many GM and IM in the world today, decreasing its value.
    i applaud the axiomaticness of this analysis.
    unless of course the increase is directly proportional to the increase in either the chess playing population or population in general.
    Last edited by Axiom; 06-11-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    As a first attempt, I'd suggest a super-GM should have spent five or more years in the top 40 by rating within the last decade and while active. For younger players (say under 22) one or two years would be sufficient.

Defining it by a set rating doesn't work because of FIDE inflation.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    As a first attempt, I'd suggest a super-GM should have spent five or more years in the top 40 by rating within the last decade and while active. For younger players (say under 22) one or two years would be sufficient.

I dont know how the top 40 work... but would players be able to minimise how much they play to protect there rating to get that title????

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    hence cam's suggested adjusted cut-off marks.

My choice on this poll was influenced by the article:

http://members.shaw.ca/redwards1/

CC International Master
    I'd say whoever gets invited to Linares etc. (insert appropriate qualifications here)
    Last edited by Aaron Guthrie; 07-11-2007 at 01:54 AM.

I'd say a 'Super' GM is in the top 8-12 in the world.

If we say super GM is top 40 then we need a new classication 'super-duper' GM which would be top 8-12 in the world.

A GM who is consistently in the top 10 only occasionally dropping lower...2700 is a bit to broad eg. bareev was 2700+ not too long ago and few would class him as a super GM

Why can't Super GM be a title that is not conferred for life? e.g. for those currently over 2700 (or 2750) they can be referred to as a Super GM. If their rating drops, they are still a GM, but no longer a Super GM (a "former Super GM" perhaps). Just base it always on the current rating list.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    Why can't Super GM be a title that is not conferred for life? e.g. for those currently over 2700 (or 2750) they can be referred to as a Super GM. If their rating drops, they are still a GM, but no longer a Super GM (a "former Super GM" perhaps). Just base it always on the current rating list.
    there is already enough silly titles around....however GM itself is loosing significance...just beacuse you are a GM or FM or whatever it doesnt mean you are 'good' or elite in anyway as it once did (an extreme example is WFM's rated around 1700)... maybe super or elite GM might be the solution or it might make other titles titles even more insignificant???

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    there is already enough silly titles around....however GM itself is loosing significance...just beacuse you are a GM or FM or whatever it doesnt mean you are 'good' or elite in anyway as it once did (an extreme example is WFM's rated around 1700)... maybe super or elite GM might be the solution or it might make other titles titles even more insignificant???

Without naming names... (she's a really nice person)
    I defeated a WFM rated 1400 in a classical rated game, she usually finishes mid-table in weekend tournaments in Queensland.

It's not her fault, its the system, plus inflated ratings as she scored above 50% against 2200 opponents when she picked up the title. Makes you wonder about the FIDE rating system though

I defeated a WFM rated 1400 in a classical rated game
    nice effort, not many of us can say we have won against a chess master

Account Compromised
    Without naming names... (she's a really nice person)
    I defeated a WFM rated 1400 in a classical rated game, she usually finishes mid-table in weekend tournaments in Queensland.

It's not her fault, its the system, plus inflated ratings as she scored above 50% against 2200 opponents when she picked up the title. Makes you wonder about the FIDE rating system though
    Exactly. Like Nigel Short says, just get rid of silly titles altogether. The original GMs were world class players, i.e. the title was awarded to the highest category of player. Look at how far we have come since then. Plenty of silly titles. Women's chess titles are the most ridiculous titles ever invented, as both sexes compete on a level playing field.

Thread Information