• Arbiters are heavily disrespected/ignored

0 0%
  • Arbiters dont have a clue and deserve what they get

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Suspended

Unhappy Do arbiters deserve respect??

Hi
    Opinion sought to see if this is a problem everywhere??

It seems to me that at many tournaments, that arbiters aren't given the respect to perform their duties.

What do you think the disrespect comes from
    Last edited by CameronD; 09-10-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Clearly arbiters aren't treated in the same way by everybody. Further, not all arbiters command the same respect as others. There is a further requisite of respecting the office and not the person. I fear these concepts are beyond some people.

The poll asks if arbiters are disrespected. They are - no question. I do not mean to claim by everybody.

Sometimes this disrespect emanates as active behaviour from players and spectators (arguing/ ignoring directives). However, the vast majority is passive (such not listening to tournament announcements/ being slow or ignoring directives such as 'take seats').
    Last edited by Basil; 09-10-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    The title of this thread and the poll would appear to be cross purposes. I agree that arbiters need respect to discharge their duties efficiently. But part of that respect is generated from be able to discharge their duties efficiently. So it is a catch-22 scenario.

On the other hand, the poll seems to ask about the state of play and I think the current treatment of arbiters, while interesting to get a national appreciation, is really a function of the ability of each individual arbiter.

It is not surprising that juniors would be more respectful of arbiters as most children tend to respond more positively toward authority figures than do many adults. Also the comment about higher rated players doesn't surprise me either as those players know more about chess than the average arbiter and often make the mistake that they believe they know more about arbiting chess than the average arbiter. When you value your own opinion more than that of the arbiter you really aren't going to generate must interest in the instructions they are delivering.

That all being said, I will abstain from voting in the poll other than to say that I agree with the second part of the last option. That respect-wise, people tend to get what they deserve. However, arbiters probably do come off with slightly the rough end of the stick, more often than not.

The other thing to think about is that perhaps a function of the respect shown to arbiters has something to with the mechanics of appeals committees in chess. If three or four chess players can over-ride the decision of an arbiter then that is going to do very little in terms of increasing the respect of arbiters in the minds of players. I am not 100% convinced of the validity of this argument but it is an idea for discussion.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    I find the question funny. It is a bit like asking "Do software developers deserve respect?" or "Should we respect accountants?".

To me all professionals (including chess arbiters who do their job professionally) deserve respect. All of those, who are not able to handle arbiting duties professionally, should not be regarded as chess arbiters in the first place .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Thumbs up

I agree with Myke's post above... Arbiters who are either accountants, or computer nerds deserve fully blown maximum respect!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    My vote is based on my own experience, which may be biased as in some respects many things are a bit more laid-back down here.

I've been involved in arbiting of some sort or other for about 14 years. In all that time the sum total of verifiable disrespect (anecdotes regurgitated by antichrist's suspect memory do not count) that I can recall for my efforts has been:

* One parent who tried to tell me how to do my job, disturbing players in the process.
    * A few juniors (maybe three out of thousands I have worked with) with serious mental,behavioural or compulsive cheating problems.
    * One defamatory serial troll.

I also find that cases of disrespect towards other arbiters in my state, even where they are clearly in error in their decisions, are very rare.

not at BHCC

I think the traditions and general culture of the place the tournament is held has a lot to do with the respect shown to the arbiters.
    For example try to be desrespectful to the arbiters at the BHCC (either as a player and/or spectator) and you 'll have another thing coming!
    Cheers and good luck!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I don't believe that the office/position of arbiter has as much respect as it should in Australian tournaments.

It usually comes down to the individual...if the person doing the job commands respect then the players will listen, if the person is a pushover, then the players, spectators, etc will try to get away with whatever they can.

i voted "respected" as a way of saying arbiters should be treated with impartial respect

the "highly respected" option has underpinnings of grovelling

not sure why there are two respect options and three disrepect options

not exactly a balanced poll it would seem

There appears to be a definition issue. Dare I say 'analogous' in effect to the problem with Tournament Noise #1

When Charles Zworestine makes his round 3 announcement at 'nowhere comp' in a field of 80 - and 6 players are conducting their own conversations, then disrespect has occurred.

We have all witnessed that scenario. As such, there is no dispute as the either the existence of the facts (players chatting while Charles is talking) or the existence of the conclusion i.e. the existence of disrespect (except for the true snivel libertarians among us).

----------------------------------------

OK, thanks for your attention. Please continue fudging a very cut and dry issue and turning it (as well as any others presented to you) into a non-event.

Vive la status quo! Vive le right to be slightly ineffectual flops!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    When Charles Zworestine makes his round 3 announcement at 'nowhere comp' in a field of 80 - and 6 players are conducting their own conversations, then disrespect has occurred.
    I would venture that the players who kept chatting are the same ones who used to chat at school through the teachers instructions.

I take it from your post that Charles didnt stop the announcements and tell them to STFU or similar? If an arbiter allows it to continue, it is tough to say that isn't how he/she wants to be treated?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    I take it from your post that Charles didnt stop the announcements and tell them to STFU or similar? If an arbiter allows it to continue, it is tough to say that isn't how he/she wants to be treated?
    I was talking general terms - this was not a specific event. 'Charles', as a respected and respect-worthy arbiter could have easily been Graeme, you or any one of a number of people for the purpose of the example.

In these numerous examples (wot I 'ave witnessed me' lud), the arbiter has often required a first or second round of shooshing, and generally settles in the end for all but complete compliance - generally to a point where he feels (I'm guessing) that the room is as quiet as one can expect.

I am only aware of one man who brings a room to attention, first with withering presence, and in default (from the mercilessly uninitiated), a public persecution that reduces continuing offenders to subservient acquiescence.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have often had trouble with noise (mainly in junior events), but seldom had trouble getting players to pay attention when I needed to announce something. However, I have much better than average voice projection skills.

CC FIDE Master

Arbiter

In any tournament, the Arbiter is entitled to respect and players must abide by his (or her) directions and decisions. With most tournaments, you sign on the nomination form that you will accept the Arbiter's decision.
    End of problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Menham
    In any tournament, the Arbiter is entitled to respect and players must abide by his (or her) directions and decisions. With most tournaments, you sign on the nomination form that you will accept the Arbiter's decision.
    End of problem!!
    Players should always have the right to appeal the arbiters decision.
    This right should not be removed by tournament regulations.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information