Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

The (card) games people play

I think we need a thread for all card games EXCEPT poker!!! (It has enough attention at the moment).

Here are some of my favourites...

Bridge (when you have four)
    500 (best in four)
    Cribbage (2 player is best but works in 3)
    Euchre (cut-throat 3 player is good)
    Hearts (best in 4)
    Spades (best ni 4 but 2 player works too)
    Whist (particularly 2-player)
    Canasta (4 is best from memory)
    Rummy (ok in nearly any number up to 6)
    Gin Rummy (2 only)
    Uno (which is a rip-off of Crazy Eights and good in variable number but I think >3 is best)

Solitaires...

Klondike is the original and a favourite. I also played a games called Devil's Despair which had the advantage that you can usually play on a briefcase while sitting on a train.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Oh and I play too much Spider Solitaire.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have a real problem with card games which causes me to play cards relatively rarely - I can't shuffle. Just physically don't get it, despite numerous attempts. This is a serious social disability; all my attempts to learn how to shuffle have failed, so it's rather embarrassing having to always ask someone else to do it.

Used to play 500 a lot at high school and undergrad uni, and a little bit a few years ago. Also used to play some other card games at undergrad uni - Seargent Major (also known by other names that are not printable on this forum), Hearts, Up and Down The River and this isn't very good but I did invent it in my sleep.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Oh and I play too much Spider Solitaire.
    I sometimes have this problem.

Two more-
    Cheat
    Snap

canfield

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have a real problem with card games which causes me to play cards relatively rarely - I can't shuffle. Just physically don't get it, despite numerous attempts. This is a serious social disability; all my attempts to learn how to shuffle have failed, so it's rather embarrassing having to always ask someone else to do it.
    Commute 2 hours each way to and from work for 5 years and you get to develop an efficient and compact shuffling style. Have some good teachers also helps.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Commute 2 hours each way to and from work for 5 years and you get to develop an efficient and compact shuffling style. Have some good teachers also helps.
    So it really is like that (now dead) SBS show on the sydney trains?

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    So it really is like that (now dead) SBS show on the sydney trains?
    I can't comment as I was only vaguely aware of the show's existence and never watched it. From memory it didn't run that long before the show was derailed.

But there was a large group of us travelling between Wollongong and Sydney every day and we could almost always arrange at least 4 players for cards for the trip which was around 2 hours each way.

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    canfield
    I was wondering if a cc poster was going to bring up that game.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Rince... of all people! How can you not have thought to suggest the famous Discworld card game: "Cripple Mr Onion"!?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I play the russian game Durak.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    I play the russian game Durak.
    This reminds me I have also played the Italian games of Scopa and Tresette. Both allow the application of skill and memory but Tresette is the best in this regard. There are a few other games that I know of such as Bestia and Briscola but I haven't played them very often at all. All are played with the usual Italian deck of 40 cards which come in many regional varieties. I've usually (but not always) played with a deck of carte napoletane.

http://www.modiano.it/en/catalogo/pr...php?db_000=346

You can download a Tresette computer game from here...

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000011965

[QUOTE=Rincewind]This reminds me I have also played the Italian games of Scopa and Tresette. Both allow the application of skill and memory but Tresette is the best in this regard. There are a few other games that I know of such as Bestia and Briscola but I haven't played them very often at all. All are played with the usual Italian deck of 40 cards which come in many regional varieties. I've usually (but not always) played with a deck of carte napoletane.

Ive tried these games too.All top games but briscola would have to be the best...scopa is too basic for my liking (although there a a few nice tricks to know)...tresette reminds me of playing spades...briscola is definately the best, particulary when playing with a partner (so there is 4 players instead of 2) and if there are a few drinks around and some money on the line it makes it even better...also it gives poor players a chance to win once in a while when they get some good cards...so everyones happy.

Right Onz !!!!

Here is a game meh family plays alot during the holidays here stateside.
    It is called Blitz (31). Its a card game played with a full deck of cards(without the jokers). Kinda like 21 as in that you collect the same suites in whih the goal is to reach 31 total. Aces always = 11 points
    Face cards = 10 points
    all others are face value.

First off this card game is for as many ppl as you like but more than 1 person. Each person puts up 3 coins or bills on the table so that everyone has the same amounts in the beginning. Then each person annies up a coin before the dealer deals out three cards face down to each player. Then the dealer places the rest of the deck in the middle of the table and flips the first card over. Then the next player can either pick that card up or take a card from the top of the deck.Then the player discards a card outta his hand. The whole goal is to get to 31 in the same suite(hearts-spades - etc.)

If and when a person gets to 31 then he will lay the cards face up on the table and announce BLITZ !!!! Then each players put a coin or bill into the pot execpt the winner who has the blitz.

Each player has three plays & then they get one more called "grace". Once a player looses 4 times then they are out of the game.

Also a player can Knock on the table if they think that they can beat just one other player at the table. When a player knocks on their turn they cannot take a draw, then all the other players get one more draw to complete the round. If a Player gets a Blitz during the period in which another player has Knocked- the player who knocked has to pay double(two bills or coins) and the other players pay one coin or bill - execpt the player who got the Blitz.

The round go until either a player knocks or a player gets a blitz. When a player knocks the round goes around one more time then end with the knocking player showing their cards - and the others show their cards. Only the lowest player pays after a knock. If the player who knocks cant beat any other players then they pay double :|

Finally the last thing to remember about this card game called Blitz - The one still standing at the end wins da pot
    -Sprout
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 18-09-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    Every One will Catch da Corona19 Virus, May God Help Us All
    You just can't reason with da BA.2.12.1 type Corona19 Virus...... IT DON'T CARE !!!1

Just trying to stay Positive in this New Bizarro World -Sprout85

CC Rookie

Spider Solitaire

And I'm still playing old plain spider solitaire

Thread Information