Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar

Dozsa on Crimestoppers!

Just saw this on channel 9, and found the accompanying web reference - http://www.vic.crimestoppers.com.au/...x?wantedId=171 - I'm thinking the Victorian Police don't think he's dead ...

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Just saw this on channel 9, and found the accompanying web reference - http://www.vic.crimestoppers.com.au/...x?wantedId=171 - I'm thinking the Victorian Police don't think he's dead ...
    The last laugh ... from beyond the grave?

Amazing. The version I heard was that Dosza had died from some kind of cancer but are they suggesting he faked it, or are they just not aware that he is dead?

CC Grandmaster Captain Underpants's Avatar
    Would appreciate a fleshed-out background on the story for we nOObs. Thanks.

When September 7th drops, the bullshit stops. The bullshit has now stopped.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Would appreciate a fleshed-out background on the story for we nOObs. Thanks.
    Australian Seniors Champion 2001-2
    World record holder for illegal restaurant freeloading
    Psychotronically pulsed (according to him) by the Hungarian Military
    Noted for sometimes playing drunk
    Selected to represent Australia at a seniors event (for which there was much fundraising effort given Dozsa's poverty) but mysteriously fell ill, failed to make it and ended up visiting family.
    Widely reported dead through Australian chess community in either 2002 or 2003 (forget which), age about 63.

Oh what the hell, just go straight to his website (it's still up!). The guy makes Axiom look normal!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 13-09-2007 at 02:16 PM.

CC Grandmaster Captain Underpants's Avatar
    Thanks KB & GG.

Nothing wrong with a bit implanting by the way. Especially if done in moderation. And remember, it only seems kinky the first time.

When September 7th drops, the bullshit stops. The bullshit has now stopped.

Hi Kerry,

On the TV program did they make any reference to when he was charged or when he was suppose to appear in court?

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutek
    Hi Kerry,

On the TV program did they make any reference to when he was charged or when he was suppose to appear in court?
    It was 2002 or 2003. I'm thinking they haven't heard (or disbelieve) the story that he is dead.

It was 2002 or 2003. I'm thinking they haven't heard (or disbelieve) the story that he is dead.
    Hi Kerry,

I knew from the online video it was 2002 but thought they may have mentioned different charges and dates during the TV program.

Anyway to the best of knowledge he has been dead for about 5 years.

But with Paul Dodga you never know

btw have you had a chance to play on Crown's new electronic PokerPro tables yet?

If so are they any good?

Guy ended up ringing Crime Stoppers the next evening... they still didn't know Dosza was dead.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Selected to represent Australia at a seniors event (for which there was much fundraising effort given Dosza's poverty) but mysteriously fell ill, failed to make it and ended up visiting family.
    Widely reported dead through Australian chess community in either 2002 or 2003 (forget which), age about 63.

Oh what the hell, just go straight to his website (it's still up!). The guy makes Axiom look normal!
    I'd add to this, that for all his foibles, he was in many ways a warm and charming individual ... some have criticised him but I always found him charismatic and personable and interesting. Sadly missed by me at any rate
    cheers - paulb

CC Candidate Master
    In one famous incident, Pal had been arrested for not paying a restaurant bill (I think) and asked the judge to grant him bail so he could get to the Australian chess championships.
    The press lapped this up, of course ...
    So did the judge, who said something like: "The bad news is that you won't be going to the tournament, Mr Dosza ... the good news is that you won't have to pay for your meal tonight ..."
    cheers - paulb

I miss him too. We played against each other once, in a Fairfield tourney, while he was sipping cheap red wine ever so slowly as if it was some expensive Bordeaux.

Wasn't it Dosza who famously fell asleep against a Fiji player in an Australian Championships won by one Guy West?

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Selected to represent Australia at a seniors event (for which there was much fundraising effort given Dosza's poverty) but mysteriously fell ill, failed to make it and ended up visiting family.

I subscibe to Paul's views on Dosza who I met once or twice. He had an old world charm that one doesn't see much these days. I think he was a chef by profession and when he first came to Australia his arrival was heralded by Cecil Purdy in "Chess World" as he was known to be a very strong player. He played board 4 for NSW below Fred Flatow, Cecil Purdy and Max Fuller in a match against Victoria in 1964, beating Bill Geus. CJSP says he was then about 25. Unfortunately he fell victim to the red wine mentioned by Arosar, I believe, and he also became addicted to dining in restaurants without paying for which he had about 150 convictions so there is no doubt that Paul is right in his assumption. I am not aware of Dosza having been arrested for anything else.

I am not sure of his exact date of death but the December 2002 rating list shows him as having played 25 games in the rating period and that is the last list on which his name appears, I think. So late 2002 - early 2003 is the best guess. Age 63 ties in with the age mentioned by Purdy. His website says he was born on 20 January 1940.

DJ
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 04-09-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added dob
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

Thread Information