Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar

Professionalism in chess

We are all born with varying degrees of beauty or ugliness. Most people try to some extent to make the best of what they have. When your apperence is important to your income, you take particular care. The way you present can be extremely important to your future - we all know that to be true. So, how do professional sports persons and entertainers go about pulling sponsorships. #1 is results - be a champ. A close #2 is present well - speak well, look good, and you could be endorsing crap for the next 20 years.

There can be no excuse for looking like a derro at a big championship. Now take Captain at this bunch of bush pigs. Half of them look like they just finished hanging around the house all day. No wonder chess sponsorship is hard to come by. They should be dressed to kill, not dressed to swill.

http://wwcc2004.fide.com/main.asp?id=468
    Last edited by PHAT; 31-05-2004 at 08:16 PM.

Well, I'm sure there are some there maybe not dressed their best but others are not too bad.

I think Ekaterina Kovalevskaya looks rather sweet :p
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Alexandra Kosteniuk models and endorses watches, so she seems to be doing OK...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    We are all born with varying degrees of beauty or ugliness. Most people try to some extent to make the best of what they have. When your apperence is important to your income, you take particular care. The way you present can be extremely important to your future - we all know that to be true. So, how do professional sports persons and entertainers go about pulling sponsorships. #1 is results - be a champ. A close #2 is present well - speak well, look good, and you could be endorsing crap for the next 20 years.

There can be no excuse for looking like a derro at a big championship. Now take Captain at this bunch of bush pigs. Half of them look like they just finished hanging around the house all day. No wonder chess sponsorship is hard to come by. They should be dressed to kill, not dressed to swill.

http://wwcc2004.fide.com/main.asp?id=468
    Shannon made the comment when I read the post to her, that it would be similar to criticising what a swimmer looked like after they haul themsleves dripping from the pool, with hair plastered to their head.

They are dressed comfortably in order to play a long game of chess. None of them appear to be dirty or have holes in their clothes. I have no doubt that whoever wins will have a good outfit to wear to prize giving. Certainly most of the under 16 and under 18 girls who win medals at the World Youth look pretty good when they go on stage.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Matt, least you could have done was post a comparison picture of yourself (taken mid-game) to show how it should be done.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Matt, least you could have done was post a comparison picture of yourself (taken mid-game) to show how it should be done.
    And I thought you were going to have a comment on post #3.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Kosteniuk actually looks quite snappy on the page Matt posted.

The following is the FIDE Handbook comment dealing with dress code for this tournament:

The Commission on Chess Publication, Information and Statistics (CHIPS) stresses the need for all chess players to take more care in their personal appearance. The image of the chess player should be a dignified one, and dressing properly would not only show respect for the game, but also to sponsors, potential or otherwise, to make it worth their while to spend their money.

For example, some federations have barred slippers, sleeveless T-shirts and vests in their tournaments. Those with unkempt and greasy hair should be admonished, as well as those wearing old or torn jeans and battered attire generally.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Paddington, in between Sydney city and Bondi Beach
    For the record, Matthew has quite a dapper dress sense; he's usually attired in smart casual at the minimum, and thus raises the standards of appearance at every tournament.

I have not clicked on the link posted in this thread; I feel I need not, since I already have an appreciation of how poorly chess players present themselves. I disagree with Jenni entirely that chess players present well if collecting a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Shannon made the comment when I read the post to her, that it would be similar to criticising what a swimmer looked like after they haul themsleves dripping from the pool, with hair plastered to their head.
    Fair comment. Now let's ask, what if same said simmer got out and strutted about with their togs fully hidden up their back crack. Would that be comarable to, say, a particular female chess player flossing in public while playing OTB? ["Flossing in public" is having the back of one's G-string fully displayed above the waist band.]

They are dressed comfortably in order to play a long game of chess. None of them appear to be dirty or have holes in their clothes. I have no doubt that whoever wins will have a good outfit to wear to prize giving. Certainly most of the under 16 and under 18 girls who win medals at the World Youth look pretty good when they go on stage.
    All this is true enough. However, I am suggesting that many look under presented. To describe a minimum for males is easy - some combo of coat, tie, dress shoes, collar, blah blah blah. Females' minimum are a manifestly more difficult to define. Nevertheless, in western commercial/professional circles, a hint of lippy, blush, and eye liner is expected - the older the more is used. It should be noted, we can all feel just as "compfortable" when well dresses as under dressed.

I must say, that I am far from impressed either, with the disrespectful way males turn up to tounaments. (This topic has been debated else where.) The difference here, is that I am taking issue with the players at the top end, the end that is the public face of chess.
    Last edited by PHAT; 01-06-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    The following is the FIDE Handbook comment dealing with dress code for this tournament:

The Commission on Chess Publication, Information and Statistics (CHIPS) stresses the need for all chess players to take more care in their personal appearance. The image of the chess player should be a dignified one, and dressing properly would not only show respect for the game, but also to sponsors, potential or otherwise, to make it worth their while to spend their money.

For example, some federations have barred slippers, sleeveless T-shirts and vests in their tournaments. Those with unkempt and greasy hair should be admonished, as well as those wearing old or torn jeans and battered attire generally.
    Will this code be adopted for the biggest chess event Ausatralia has ever seen ?- Mt Buller

Quote Originally Posted by jase
    For the record, Matthew has quite a dapper dress sense; he's usually attired in smart casual at the minimum, and thus raises the standards of appearance at every tournament.

I have not clicked on the link posted in this thread; I feel I need not, since I already have an appreciation of how poorly chess players present themselves. I disagree with Jenni entirely that chess players present well if collecting a prize.
    Well I guess I was talking about the women and my experience with the girls who go up for the World Under 16 and under 18 - it is always a bit of a fashion parade (apart from the muslim countries where strict dress rules apply).

If we are talking about the average chess male then I agree they are a pretty daggy bunch (apart from the Russian and Ukrainian boys who seem to travel with a suit for the occasion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Fair comment. Now let's ask, what if same said simmer got out and strutted about with their togs fully hidden up their back crack. Would that be comarable to, say, a particular female chess player flossing in public while playing OTB? ["Flossing in public" is having the back of one's G-string fully displayed above the waist band.]

This has obviously totally traumatised you Matt! We just keep on hearing about it.

I don't like it either - I come from a generation where no-one would have their undies on display in public! Unfortunately with these damn hipsters that have been popular for a few seasons it does happen and the new generation seem to have a total disregard for such issues. Wait until your girls are 15 and see if you can control them!

Quote Originally Posted by jase
    I have not clicked on the link posted in this thread; I feel I need not, since I already have an appreciation of how poorly chess players present themselves. .
    well I think you should - Matt is totally over the top on this one. They range from neat casual to really quite snappy.

The Vietnamese girl is wearing a very attractive suit and the others are well co-ordinated with attractive blouses and jackets. They are not the prettiest bunch on the whole (although some are very attractive), but then intelligence and looks don't always go together.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    This has obviously totally traumatised you Matt! We just keep on hearing about it.
    Traumatised? No. More acuritely, it is the murth that the much older find when viewing the exploits of the much younger.

Listen to me. Visible thongs have never been in fashion. And they have been officially uncool since Destiny Child's, 'Nasty Girl'. Tell your kids that if they must wear hipster jeans, they should wear hipster panties. Just a bit of fashion advice.

AR

Thread Information