Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Calling/Announcing Check

When was the rule about the calling of check changed, or was it ever changed? I recall in my earlier playing days that it was required to announce check whenever you did check the king, even remember that at one point in time it was courteous to announce check to the queen.
    When I returned to tournament play, it was the first difference that I noted. That calling of check was not allowed, that it could be construed as distracting your opponent. Is this the scenario, or what is the correct scenario regarding the calling of check in tournament games.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    When was the rule about the calling of check changed, or was it ever changed? I recall in my earlier playing days that it was required to announce check whenever you did check the king, even remember that at one point in time it was courteous to announce check to the queen.
    When I returned to tournament play, it was the first difference that I noted. That calling of check was not allowed, that it could be construed as distracting your opponent. Is this the scenario, or what is the correct scenario regarding the calling of check in tournament games.
    I don't know about the rules changing but in friendly games among weakish players it is the norm. Many stronger coffee house players do it in skittles matches (including so-called queen-checks) to distract their opponents.

In tournament matches it is considered poor etiquette and is almost never done.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    In tournament matches it is considered poor etiquette and is almost never done.
    Really? I always do it in tournament and blitz games as a matter of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    When I began playing chess I asked about this and was told it's only done in social play. In the tournaments I've played, I've found inexperienced juniors are the main ones who announce check and the occasional older adult so I'm kind of surprised you do it WE. Must confess I find it mildly irritating when an adult announces check. You feel like saying 'Yes, I know- I'm weak but I'm not THAT weak...'

It is not required by the Laws of Chess and 12.6 says "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever."

I think anyone announcing check AFTER clocking is in breach of 12.6. Before clocking you might argue habit. If a player was to come to me complaining that a player constantly announcing check was distracting I would warn that player to stop doing so, even if it was before clocking.

Hi George et al

I too am surprised that you partake! I find the practice to be the 12th most annoying thing in chess. Please desist and don't teach the kiddies to do it

Carry on everybody, you're all doing very well.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Check Out Novos !

well please desist with this practice forthwith!
    I believe the Novos Boys( http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6076 ) had a method for eliminating this behaviour amongst its more stubborn juniors,before it ever had a chance to establish itself as this most horrendous and awful habit.
    Just a few games hooked up to high voltage electrical current,seemed to elicit a very rapid cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    It is not required by the Laws of Chess and 12.6 says "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever."

I think anyone announcing check AFTER clocking is in breach of 12.6. Before clocking you might argue habit. If a player was to come to me complaining that a player constantly announcing check was distracting I would warn that player to stop doing so, even if it was before clocking.
    I always do it as I make the move, never after pressing the clock. I must admit, I never even gave it a moment's thought and just did it as a courtesy to my opponent. I probably wouldn't do it in a queen endgame where every second move is a check. Now I will have to rethink the practice altogether!

I remember once I was playing a key game in the Vic Juniors against Tony Davis. In a complicated position, I'd spent half an hour thinking about my move. When I finally decided what move to play and did so, Tony announced very loudly to everyone....'that is an illegal move, you are in check!' Well that was pretty embarrassing! Maybe my habit comes from some sort of subconscious throwback to that game and I want to save my opponents any possibility of the same embarrassment.

I remember once I was playing a key game in the Vic Juniors against Tony Davis. In a complicated position, I'd spent half an hour thinking about my move. When I finally decided what move to play and did so, Tony announced very loudly to everyone....'that is an illegal move, you are in check!' Well that was pretty embarrassing! Maybe my habit comes from some sort of subconscious throwback to that game and I want to save my opponents any possibility of the same embarrassment.

Yes, as a byproduct of not announcing check you sometimes have to point out that an opponent has overlooked the fact that he or she is in check. The advantage is that in blitz, you just win.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Sometimes in tournaments involving extremely weak beginning juniors who are persistently leaving themselves in check I will ask the opponent to quietly announce each check. Otherwise (and sometimes even then) you end up with games which require practically one on one supervision just to maintain legality, and if there are seven of those going in the same room it is a nightmare.

Above about 500 strength the practice is unnecessary and should be eradicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Above about 500 strength the practice is unnecessary and should be eradicated.
    Ok it sounds as if I am in the minority but I disagree.

The human/social interaction between players during a game of chess is already minimised in every way. Why not follow a little harmless tradition and show that we are human beings sitting at a chessboard?

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Ok it sounds as if I am in the minority but I disagree.

The human/social interaction between players during a game of chess is already minimised in every way. Why not follow a little harmless tradition and show that we are human beings sitting at a chessboard?
    OMG!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    When was the rule about the calling of check changed, or was it ever changed?
    Announcing check was not stated as being required in the rules as far back as 1971.
    In fact Article 10 at the time was devoted entirely to 'Check'.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 25-07-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typing error
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Because in so doing you may annoy other human beings who can only play their best game when sitting at the chessboard quietly.

Thread Information