Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Like no talking and no mobile phones?
    You can bet that I'll claim a win by forfeit if I hear you mobile go off while we're playing.

I doubt it. I'm happy with whatever you and Garvin hatch.
    I'm not trying to hatch anything, I just don't like provisional moves But, I'll put up with them if I have to.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

Account Suspended
    I've taken it to mean no databases, no opening books, no computer assistence, but other correspondence rules applies. Like I've been moving pieces around on a board (just ask Axiom!!). If this is not allowed, then Garvin will have to forfeit all of my games.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    I've taken it to mean no databases, no opening books, no computer assistence, but other correspondence rules applies.
    But are provisional moves allowed in a correspondence tournament?
    Like I've been moving pieces around on a board (just ask Axiom!!). If this is not allowed, then Garvin will have to forfeit all of my games.
    It's a hard way to lose!

Now only if I could predict lotto numbers with this much certainty. By the way, previously in this thread I commented:

Before the tournament started I think it was agreed that it should be OTB conditions. No tournament participant made an argument for anything else.

The problem I have with OTB conditions in an online tournament is enforcability. If there is a claim that someone is breaking the rules on this matter, how do I prove it either way? I don't think I can, unless the breach is blatant.

That being said, no tournament participant made an argument for anything other than otb conditions, so that is how it is.
    So taking these rules as they are written, Egor you are warned for talking to your opponent. CameronD and Axiom, you are both forfeited from all games for analysing on another board while playing your tournament games. (that is if I enforce the strict otb conditions, which is what we are trying to work out here now that the devil is being shown in the detail.)

I have even seen other players in the tournament work out problems with their opponent during the tournament game, instead of going through the arbiter, which is what is supposed to happen in otb tournament conditions.

So, to sum up, at least four, if not all five players have been in breach of the agreed rule of otb conditions.

Does that mean I should just forfeit all of you just to save time and effort

A term first- Egor, the term is conditional moves, not provisional. Meaning- I will move here if you move there first. If you dont move there first, I can move anywhere I like that is legal.

Now that the agreement for otb conditions has been proven to be broken by all tournament participants, I propose that the rule for otb conditions be abolished and the normal standards of correspondence play be used.

Which in short are-

1) Opening books, databases can be used
    2) Players can move pieces etc on another board
    3) Conditional moves can be offered, but if one or more conditional moves are offered, they are binding
    4) Each player is responsible for ensuring that they tender the move they want to play. If they tender a move that they didnt want to play, but it is a legal move, they cant take it back and are stuck with the consequences. If the incorrectly tendered move turns out to be a bad one, they are stuck with it and it cant be taken back.
    5) Appeals and queries go through the arbiter, not discussed between the players.
    6) Engine use to generate moves is not allowed and will result in immediate forfeiture from the tournament. Of course I have to prove this.
    7) The only question is about endgame tablebase use from freely available sites????
    Last edited by Garvinator; 08-08-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Account Suspended
    Move to forfeit everyone and start tournament 6

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    as far as i can see everyone is playing within the spirit of the otb rules .
    moving bits around,or negotiating conditional moves, is trivial when looking at the thrust of the rules ie.no external assistance.

Move to forfeit everyone and start tournament 6
    A bit quick, I have put up a new set of rules that are more in line with general correspondence standards.

Account Suspended
    Against the new rules of -

1 - Too late to introduce half - way through the game - make prople think for themselves
    5 - Only if agreement is not reached
    7 - No- make people think

CC FIDE Master
    I seem to have coursed a bit of trouble.
    In hind site it's clear that I should not have made a big deal over provisional, oops, conditional moves.
    It's just that I don't like them, which is just my problem really.
    Everyone, please just go back to enjoying your games, and beating me and, we'll try to forget all this silliness on my part.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EGOR
    I seem to have coursed a bit of trouble.
    In hind site it's clear that I should not have made a big deal over provisional, oops, conditional moves.
    It's just that I don't like them, which is just my problem really.
    Everyone, please just go back to enjoying your games, and beating me and, we'll try to forget all this silliness on my part.

Good work, EGOR. Cameron, you're bordering on being pointy!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC FIDE Master
    Good work, EGOR. Cameron, you're bordering on being pointy!
    Give him a break, I started it.

He's bordering on being pointy!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC FIDE Master
    He's bordering on being pointy!
    ...and you're not?!

Thread Information