Page 297 of 307 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 4598
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Current climate change has nothing to do with the sun
    So what if we all suffer from the problem outlined in the article..while fighting so hard with the climate change?
    Any other wars with nature we need to fight?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    So what if we all suffer from the problem outlined in the article..while fighting so hard with the climate change? Any other wars with nature we need to fight?
    Man-made global warming is a man-made problem, of course, which is why we have to fix it ourselves.

So what if we all suffer from the problem outlined in the article..while fighting so hard with the climate change?
    Any other wars with nature we need to fight?
    A possible solar superflare is not something we can prevent. We can take mitigation action, like climate change. The main difference is that a superflare time frame is unknown, while climate change is happening right now.

Another possible risk is another asteroid or comet strike. Again unpredictable - there is a constant watch in the hope that we spot any on a collision course in time to take some sort of defensive action.

Don’t Worry About Asteroid 2006QV89. There’s Only a 1 in 7000 Chance It’ll Hit the Earth in September

‘We need to do some radical things and we need to do them now’

Microsoft’s Chief Environmental Officer reveals why he thinks the world of AI for Earth

On October 8 last year, the United Nations published a report that called for global warming to be limited to 1.5 degrees centigrade over the next 12 years. Failure to do so will significantly worsen the risk of drought, floods and poverty for hundreds of millions of people, scientists warned.

The research made for grim reading and laid bare the challenge that mankind faces in creating a healthy and thriving planet that future generations can live on.
    Lucas Joppa, Microsoft’s Chief Environmental Officer and the man behind the company’s $50m AI for Earth programme, is honestly blunt when asked about the UN’s findings during a visit to London recently.

“There are two conclusions you can take from the report,” he says. “One is we are finished; but I’m not a fatalist, so I try not to take that route. If you reject that conclusion, which I hope human society does, you are left with only one other – we need to do some pretty radical things, and we need to do them now.”...

CC Grandmaster
    https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-city...aGFMV9rQA7nij8

My Russia-based relative sent me this article...he was wondering if things are really ''that bad''. He interpreted ''state of emergency'' as … STATE OF EMERGENCY. I told him that while I am not in Sydney, as far as I know....Sydney is very much alive and kicking

meanwhile and just in case you environ(mental) guys haven't (or pretend you haven't) noticed

https://www.miningglobal.com/mining-...land-australia

meaning real jobs, for real people!

big news in Europe btw!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    meanwhile and just in case you environ(mental) guys haven't (or pretend you haven't) noticed

big news in Europe btw!
    1500 temporary jobs during construction phase only. The mine will be highly automated. Estimates are that it will be around 100 jobs ongoing. Yep 100.
    meep meep

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    1500 temporary jobs during construction phase only. The mine will be highly automated. Estimates are that it will be around 100 jobs ongoing. Yep 100.
    Meanwhile, renewable jobs in Qld increased by over 1 000 in 2016-17:
    On a state-by-state basis, there has been an increase in FTE employment in renewables across the board in 2016-17, led by growth in two of Australia’s most coal power dominated states, New South Wales and Queensland. Those two states, says the ABS, delivered the largest increases in total FTE employment in renewables, both increasing numbers by more than 1,000 FTE jobs, of the back of mostly large-scale solar in Queensland, and wind farms in NSW.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post

big news in Europe btw!
    Who needs jobs? Who needs economic growth? Lets preserve the planet instead.... . So easy to preserve...best way to preserve..is to do nothing

CC Grandmaster
    So 100 jobs + profits? Taxes paid to our budget? Infrastructure developing around that mine?

For those concerned with job numbers, renewables are the way to go!

Renewable energy could offer up to 60,000 Australian jobs
    news.com.au

CC Grandmaster
    So 100 jobs + profits? Taxes paid to our budget? Infrastructure developing around that mine?
    Heavily-subsidised jobs and infrastructure provided by the Qld government:
    The Queensland Government is offering major financial subsidies to Adani’s coal project, including a secret deal on royalties worth hundreds of millions and a free access road worth $100 million, shows a new report from The Australia Institute. The report estimates the royalty deal will lend Adani between $215 million to $385 million, on terms the Government is still keeping entirely secret.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    For those concerned with job numbers, renewables are the way to go!

Renewable energy could offer up to 60,000 Australian jobs
    news.com.au
    good. If this is the case - I am all in favour@@. In favour because it leads to economic growth@

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Heavily-subsidised jobs and infrastructure provided by the Qld government:
    The Queensland Government is offering major financial subsidies to Adani’s coal project, including a secret deal on royalties worth hundreds of millions and a free access road worth $100 million, shows a new report from The Australia Institute. The report estimates the royalty deal will lend Adani between $215 million to $385 million, on terms the Government is still keeping entirely secret.
    Subsidies are bad.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information