Page 335 of 343 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 5134
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Does anyone here contribute financially to Thunberg - I don't? And I certainly don't rely on her for climate science information, and neither would anyone else here.
    I'd never even heard of her prior to last week (or whenever she was raised here).

It seems to be a recurring theme of the denialists - ignore the scientific discussion and knock over strawmen.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Does anyone here contribute financially to Thunberg - I don't? And I certainly don't rely on her for climate science information, and neither would anyone else here.
    I've been watching her progress for some time. I've never heard of any appeals, crowdfunding etc to raise money for her.

Believing she's in it for the money is patently baseless.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Well the indigenous people of this country took care of themselves before the colonialists came to educate them how to stuff up the environment.
    They stuffed up the environment themselves since not actually being able to cultivate land, they just burnt it to create hunting grounds.
    Problem was they didnt have the technology or the know how ability to stop the rot and the fires kept on burning and burning.

As far as the non-indigenous they don't have to be guided by polluters on how to not stand up for their clean environment rights.
    You 're stuck with either the indigenous who know their rights quite well, look what they did to that Bob Brown(husband of Paul Thomas) character! they kicked them out of the mining QLD town
    of Clermont when they led some sorry antimining mob to agitate against Adani's mining business or the city trouble makers who block traffic in CBDs and get rightly arrested.

People with the dollar stamped on their souls are limited.
    I don't care about dollar signs stamped on my soul, engraved on my bald patch or stuck up my arse. I told you before my fiscal development stages were
    1) Work hard, (took me some bloody time to follow that one)
    2) Save as much as you can (that wasn't easy either)
    3) Invest wisely (that I was good at so it replaced 1 and 2 with admittedly some GM moves and variations)
    4) Now that you've achieved 1, 2 and 3 spend the darn lot and enjoy yourself! (told you before I don't believe in wills and inheritances .
    I got none of that I give none of that!) Well truth is I do help vulnerable people out sometimes but don't tell.
    Well, during the above mentioned process I have acquired some expensive habits and I need the bucks to fulfill them.
    If you like it OK if you don't just get stuffed!
    Last edited by ER; 09-10-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    hehe they shouldn't worry, Greta will bail them out! Well. maybe!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    They stuffed up the environment themselves since not actually being able to cultivate land, they just burnt it to create hunting grounds.
    Problem was they didnt have the technology or the know how ability to stop the rot and the fires kept on burning and burning...……...
    I have not read anything about this but knowing that Aborigines understood the environment very well I would guess that they could time their fires to coincide to when winds are in particular directions and rains may be on the way so they sort of had control. They were part of stone age man who occupied the planet a hundred of thousand of years (I don't know) and the biosphere may have slowly changed but due to small relative (to today") population it certainly survived. Whereas now with billions of people and a highly polluting industrialisation there is no comparison. They never poisoned rivers like they were in Oz and overseas in the sixties. No jets destroying the ozone layer etc etc. No nuke bombs wrecking islands like the French did. No gas camps. No nuke meltdowns. No twin towers. Their biggest evil may have been treatment of women.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Problem was they didnt have the technology or the know how ability to stop the rot and the fires kept on burning and burning.
    Say what? Perhaps you should read:

The “fire stick farming” hypothesis: Australian Aboriginal foraging strategies, biodiversity, and anthropogenic fire mosaics
    R. Bliege Bird, D. W. Bird, B. F. Codding, C. H. Parker, and J. H. Jones, 2008.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Say what? Perhaps you should read:

The “fire stick farming” hypothesis: Australian Aboriginal foraging strategies, biodiversity, and anthropogenic fire mosaics
    R. Bliege Bird, D. W. Bird, B. F. Codding, C. H. Parker, and J. H. Jones, 2008.
    He's made up his mind. Don't try to confuse him with science

I have not read anything about this but knowing that Aborigines understood the environment very well I would guess that they could time their fires to coincide to when winds are in particular directions and rains may be on the way so they sort of had control.
    Cool story bro, but absolute frogshit! Biased greenie pseudo scientific nonsense makes a good read for indoctrinated gullible arm chair environmentalists.
    However, real people who lived through facts and situations and who wouldn't give a shit about modern political correctness are giving us a different side of the story!

Ernest Giles (1889), Australia Twice Traversed. The natives were about, burning, burning, ever burning; one would think they … lived on fire instead of water.
    report from Port Essington in Arnhemland. The natives set fire to the grass which is abundant everywhere, and at that time is quite dry… The conflagration spreads until the whole country as far as the eye can reach, is in a grand and brilliant illumination.’
    Captain James Cook wrote that his crew ‘saw upon all the Adjacent Lands and Islands a great number of smokes — a certain sign that they are inhabited ... '
    George Vancouver the very extraordinary devastation by fire which the vegetable productions had suffered throughout the whole country we had traversed
    Stuart (1865) I wish it would rain and cause the grass to become green, so as to stop them burning...
    Interesting points you make in the rest of your text but I can't discuss now because I am busy. Chat later!
    Last edited by ER; 10-10-2019 at 12:19 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Those plucky oil companies, against the odds:

Half a century of dither and denial – a climate crisis timeline

Fossil fuel companies have been aware of their impact on the planet since at least the 1950s

For more than 50 years, the petroleum industry and politicians have been warned about the climate risks of burning fossil fuels. Yet the top 20 fossil fuel firms have continued to expand and have been behind a third of all carbon emissions since 1965. This timeline shows who knew what and when, and how they communicated or obscured the threat to the public. ...
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Half a century of dither and denial – a climate crisis timeline

Fossil fuel companies have been aware of their impact on the planet since at least the 1950s

For more than 50 years, the petroleum industry and politicians have been warned about the climate risks of burning fossil fuels. Yet the top 20 fossil fuel firms have continued to expand and have been behind a third of all carbon emissions since 1965. This timeline shows who knew what and when, and how they communicated or obscured the threat to the public. ...
    We don't need their admission just go and view a row of oil refineries burning away 24 7 365 100 years and that tells it all and that is without the subsequent vehicle pollution. I am sure you entered Mascot circling Kurnell refineries at full blaze. Forget we were on a jet. meep meep
    Last edited by antichrist; 10-10-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Dob them in to Greta, the cheating so and sos!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

We don't need their admission just go and view a row of oil refineries burning away 24 7 365 100 years and that tells it all and that is without the subsequent vehicle pollution. I am sure you entered Mascot circling Kurnell refineries at full blaze. Forget we were on a jet. meep meep
    That's right - we don't - but I think the timeline is interesting. This for example:

Exxon funds two researchers, Dr Fred Seitz and Dr Fred Singer, who dispute the mainstream consensus on climate science. Seitz and Singer were previously paid by the tobacco industry and questioned the hazards of smoking. Singer, who has denied being on the payroll of the tobacco or energy industry, has said his financial relationships do not influence his research.
    meep meep

..However, real people who lived through facts and situations and who wouldn't give a shit about modern political correctness are giving us a different side of the story!...
    Quoted by Charles Darwin Uni as examples of early European lack of understanding:

The extensive use of fire by Aboriginal people across Australia was recorded and documented by early European explorers. Not only did the explorers record the presence of widespread fire but they also blamed it for damaging the landscape.

What did early explorers have to say about fire? Here are some quotes from early explorer diaries and records.

The natives were about, burning, burning, ever burning; one would think they … lived on fire instead of water.’ Ernest Giles (1889), Australia Twice Traversed.

The natives set fire to the grass which is abundant everywhere, and at that time is quite dry… The conflagration spreads until the whole country as far as the eye can reach, is in a grand and brilliant illumination.’ Report from Port Essington, in Arnhemland.

Captain James Cook wrote that his crew ‘saw upon all the Adjacent Lands and Islands a great number of smokes — a certain sign that they are inhabited ... '

... the very extraordinary devastation by fire which the vegetable productions had suffered throughout the whole country we had traversed – George Vancouver.

I wish it would rain and cause the grass to become green, so as to stop them burning... – Stuart (1865).

The same summary concludes:

Largely as a result of European misunderstanding and fear of fire, fire suppression rapidly became the dominant paradigm in fire management; in most areas there was a large shift away from traditional burning practices.

In northern Australia, the disruption of traditional burning practices means that many areas (e.g. the Top End) are now prone to extensive wildfires that sweep through the country late in the dry season.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    When it comes to the Climate Crisis you are either a hypocrite or an arsehole. The time has come to decide which you'd rather be. (http://www.jonathanpie.com) Broadcast 08.10.2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feeFO_LHOu8
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

Thread Information