Page 292 of 296 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 4437
    CC Grandmaster
    It seems that the main threat to coal mining is the market:
    The backer of a massive coal proposal in the Galilee Basin, adjacent to Adani’s Carmichael mine site, has quietly abandoned its plans amid growing doubts about the long-term profitability of Australian thermal coal exports. The ABC reported this morning that the proponents of the $7bn China Stone mine had withdrawn their application for a mining lease in March.

Not least of which is the insurance industry's growing reluctance to cover projects contributing to their increasing risks due to climate change

The Global Insurance Industry's $6 Billion Existential Threat: Coal Power

So far Adani has been unable to secure insurance cover for its Carmichael mine and rail link

Insurers shun Adani's Carmichael coal mine, says activist group Market Forces

Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    While looking for evidence that we have known about climate change for decades (not just the last ten years). I remembered Mayer Hillman a proponent of personal carbon trading.
    In general I am not really interested about the topic of climate change.
    I have been convinced long time ago that the whole hullabaloo is based upon cheap sensationalism!
    However it has obtained dangerous proportions since it is aimed toward the gullibility of people who usually convert nonsensical
    ideas into ideological life styles resulting in destruction of the economy, loss of jobs and as such reduction of the country's growth.
    I posted the Guardian's article on #4335 to show the environmental damage caused by irresponsible and obsolete ways of mining.
    You don't really want me to start posting stuff regarding the most recent record clean coal production rate for both exports and local use, its profitability
    as well as its tremendous contribution to Australian industries and economy.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    In general I am not really interested about the topic of climate change.
    I have been convinced long time ago that the whole hullabaloo is based upon cheap sensationalism!
    However it has obtained dangerous proportions since it is aimed toward the gullibility of people who usually convert nonsensical
    ideas into ideological life styles resulting in destruction of the economy, loss of jobs and as such reduction of the country's growth.
    I posted the Guardian's article on #4335 to show the environmental damage caused by irresponsible and obsolete ways of mining.
    You don't really want me to start posting stuff regarding the most recent record clean coal production rate for both exports and local use, its profitability
    as well as its tremendous contribution to Australian industries and economy.
    This is exactly the point!
    I do not want to know about climate Change! All these environmental dramas that will never end anyway (controlling climate ) why not control rain and sun as well then ).
    But then ….it is blown out of proportion and becomes such a money and resource-waster!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This is exactly the point!
    I do not want to know about climate Change! All these environmental dramas that will never end anyway (controlling climate ) why not control rain and sun as well then ).
    But then ….it is blown out of proportion and becomes such a money and resource-waster!
    Sigh. Climate control is a feature you find in your car. When it comes to climate change, all we can strive for is adaptation and mitigation to lessen the effects. The alternative is a different planet.

CC Grandmaster
    This is exactly the point! I do not want to know about climate Change! All these environmental dramas that will never end anyway (controlling climate ) why not control rain and sun as well then ). But then ….it is blown out of proportion and becomes such a money and resource-waster!
    We can't control the climate, but we can change it. Carbon dioxide acts as a greenhouse gas, so the more we put into the atmosphere (by burning coal, for example) the higher the global temperature becomes.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    This is exactly the point! I do not want to know about climate Change! All these environmental dramas that will never end anyway (controlling climate ) why not control rain and sun as well then ).
    For me the argument has always been a simple one. In the long run we must transition from fossil fuels regardless of whether you believe they are polluting or not, because once the resource has been dug up and burnt its gone.

So, transitioning sooner rather than later is a ‘no brainer’. Because if I’m wrong (about spiralling levels of CO2 in the atmosphere) well, we needed to do it anyway. On the other hand, if the deniers are wrong (as 97% of scientists tell us they are), well see here: Extinction Rebellion - The Emergency

At the end of 2018, the UN Secretary General warned us:

• Humanity and life on Earth now face a ‘direct existential threat’
    • The world must act swiftly and robustly to keep global warming under 1.5°C and try to avoid utterly catastrophic impacts to life on Earth.

Human activity is causing irreparable harm to the life on this world. A mass extinction event, only the sixth in roughly 540 million years, is underway. Many current life forms could be annihilated or at least committed to extinction by the end of this century.

The air we breathe, the water we drink, the earth we plant in, the food we eat, and the beauty and diversity of nature that nourishes our psychological well-being, all are being corrupted and compromised by the political and economic systems that promote and support our modern, consumer-focussed lifestyles.

We must act while we still can. What we are seeing now is nothing compared to what could come.
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 27-05-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    For me the argument has always been a simple one. In the long run we must transition from fossil fuels regardless of whether you believe they are polluting or not, because once the resource has been dug up and burnt its gone.

So, transitioning sooner rather than later is a ‘no brainer’. Because if I’m wrong (about spiralling levels of CO2 in the atmosphere) well, we needed to do it anyway. On the other hand, if the deniers are wrong (as 97% of scientists tell us they are), well see here: Extinction Rebellion - The Emergency

At the end of 2018, the UN Secretary General warned us:

• Humanity and life on Earth now face a ‘direct existential threat’
    • The world must act swiftly and robustly to keep global warming under 1.5°C and try to avoid utterly catastrophic impacts to life on Earth.

Human activity is causing irreparable harm to the life on this world. A mass extinction event, only the sixth in roughly 540 million years, is underway. Many current life forms could be annihilated or at least committed to extinction by the end of this century.

The air we breathe, the water we drink, the earth we plant in, the food we eat, and the beauty and diversity of nature that nourishes our psychological well-being, all are being corrupted and compromised by the political and economic systems that promote and support our modern, consumer-focussed lifestyles.

We must act while we still can. What we are seeing now is nothing compared to what could come.
    Again if its economically feasible - I would only support it!

Re our ''corrupt lifestyles' - well its the choices we have been making.

However, I am against climate protection measures that are having negative impact on our economy and well-being.

CC Grandmaster

... I am against climate protection measures that are having negative impact on our economy and well-being.
    Without adaptation and mitigation measures, the effect of climate change on our economy will be catastrophic. It's started already - longer bushfire seasons, changing rainfall patterns, hotter summers/milder winters, droughts and floods, with hundreds of millions spent on disaster relief.

It goes without saying that global warming has a negative impact on human health and activities.

...In recent months, massive demonstrations over climate change have rocked European capitals, dwarfing the mobilizations of the continent’s far right. Fridays for Future — a movement inspired by Swedish teenage activist Greta Thunberg — has seen countless European teenagers walk out of school to protest climate inaction. It underscores a growing consensus among the next generation of voters that governments must do more to mitigate environmental disaster and an impatience with political parties that refuse to recognize the urgency of the situation.

Climate change, said an editorial in France’s Liberation newspaper, “has become the principal criteria of judging political action in the European Union.” ...
    https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-r...1ff666ca147a3a
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 28-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Australia to achieve 50% renewables by 2030 without government intervention, analysis finds
    The Guardian

Australia is on track to achieve 50% renewable electricity by 2030 even without new federal energy policies, according to modelling by the energy analysts RepuTex.

The analysis, to be released on Wednesday, suggests that a surge in renewable energy driven by state schemes and rooftop solar installations will reduce wholesale prices from $85 per MWh to $70 over the next three years.

Lower prices will make gas- and coal-fired power less competitive, even without a market mechanism to make fossil fuels reflect the cost of pollution or a direct constraint on emissions, although a lack of federal policy could lead to longer-term price rises, RepuTex found.

During the election campaign, the Coalition attacked Labor for its 50% renewable energy target – as well as its 45% emissions reduction target – claiming they would harm energy-intensive industries and cost jobs.

But after the Coalition won on 18 May, the Liberal senator Arthur Sinodinos urged the government to use the changing energy mix to bolster its environmental credentials, and treasurer Josh Frydenberg declared that the “inevitable” transition to low-emissions sources created an opportunity for the country....

Extreme heat, freak rainfall breaks summer records
    Financial Review

Days of extreme heat and rainfall skyrocketed last summer by several times the 30-year average, delivering the hottest summer on record in another clear signal of the risks posed by climate change, a report by the Actuaries Institutes has found.

The latest Australian Actuaries Climate Index found the number of days of extreme heat over the 2018-19 summer was three times the 30-year average between 1980 to 2000.

Meanwhile, the days of extreme rainfall in the wet tropics was up a massive 430 per cent, or more than five times the 30-year average. In southern Queensland and NSW the index recorded an increase in extremely dry days....

Global temperatures have increased about 1 per cent on pre-industrial levels, and on the current trajectory are set to rise 4 per cent by the end of the century. Temperature rises of that magnitude would have potentially devastating meteorological, ecological and economic effects, and could render the world uninsurable, according to Australian insurance giant IAG....

A "small" increase of temperature in Australia is uncomfortable and sweaty but not that deadly but in south east Asia the extra degree or two is a killer. Tricycle riders are pushing up daises whilst still on their motor bikes.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    A "small" increase of temperature in Australia is uncomfortable and sweaty but not that deadly but in south east Asia the extra degree or two is a killer. Tricycle riders are pushing up daises whilst still on their motor bikes.
    A local increase of 1°C is just a blip on the weather chart. Warming the whole planet by 1° is something else entirely - massive amount of heat involved.

Dear climate change.
    Please cut the crap of being so vindictive and unforgiving to Victorians and pay us a visit ASAP.
    We're getting our arseholes ****ing freezing here!
    That extra 1°C although not quite sufficient, would be more than welcome!
    I mean snow in bloody Oakleigh, gimme a break!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information