Page 402 of 404 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404 LastLast
Results 6,016 to 6,030 of 6053
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    You can also read more about her here, including her association with the far-right AfD party in Germany.

The huge difference between her and Thunberg is that Thunberg accepts the science. Seibt, on the other hand, despite having no obvious qualifications or experience in physics, believes that she understands physics better than actual physicists: 'In another film, Naomi Seibt vs Greta Thunberg: Whom Should We Trust?, Seibt says: “Science is entirely based on intellectual humility and it is important that we keep questioning the narrative that is out there instead of promoting it, and these days climate change science really isn’t science at all."'
    It is questioning (critical analysis) of the scientific facts that moves the very science forward. I am not familiar with Seibt's political background but It has little to do with what she has to say about climate change anyway, so I suggest we consider her opinion on this topic rather than launch a personal attack at her, shifting focus from what she has to say about our obsession with climate.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    It is questioning (critical analysis) of the scientific facts that moves the very science forward. I am not familiar with Seibt's political background but It has little to do with what she has to say about climate change anyway, so I suggest we consider her opinion on this topic rather than launch a personal attack at her, shifting focus from what she has to say about our obsession with climate.
    The scientific facts remain facts regardless of what deniers may or may not believe. Siebt has nothing to offer the advancement of science - her association with Heartland only contributes to the denial of science, in the interests of the fossil fuel lobby. Heartland still denies the link between smoking and cancer.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    .. rather than launch a personal attack at her...
    Oh the irony. You never miss an opportunity to make baseless remarks about Greta’s alleged mental health issues. Yet, we point out that Heartland ‘hire’ the daughter of a far right politician – and you accuse us of making personal attacks!
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 27-02-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Inside Australia's climate emergency: the killer heat

... Australia’s seven hottest days on record were in the second half of December, 2019. Prior to 2018, there were only four days on which the maximum temperatures across the country were on average hotter than 40C. In the past two years there have been 18.

Karl Braganza, the Bureau of Meteorology's manager of climate monitoring, says the number of extreme heat days — those hotter than 35C — has increased five-fold in just the past 30 years. ...

The mortality rate increases nearly 20% when the average temperature across a 24 hour period is above 30C, she [Dr Diana Egerton-Warburton, an emergency doctor at Monash Health in Melbourne] says. “When the overnight minimum is 24C or above is really when our heat health alert steps in.”

In early 2009, two weeks before the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria that killed 173 people, Egerton-Warburton was working in the Monash medical centre emergency department in Melbourne when an extreme heatwave struck.

Temperatures in the state got as hot as 48.8C. More than 400 people died over four days in south-eastern Australia due to heat exposure. ...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Oh the irony. You never miss an opportunity to make baseless remarks about Greta’s alleged mental health issues. Yet, we point out that Heartland ‘hire’ the daughter of a far right politician – and you accuse us of making personal attacks!
    Michael would never make a personal attack
    It is a true pleasure to listen to someone analytical, calm...and most importantly...normal for a change!

CC Grandmaster
    Would you like to quote her explanation of why atmospheric physics isn't science?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    I do not mind you pointing this out...I trust it is no ground for dismissing her opinion though!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Would you like to quote her explanation of why atmospheric physics isn't science?
    As I am not qualified in atmospheric physics. I would not want to comment on it in the first place. I trust that climate alarmists are all qualified in Atmospheric physics...AC in particular .

CC Grandmaster
    As I am not qualified in atmospheric physics. I would not want to comment on it in the first place. I trust that climate alarmists are all qualified in Atmospheric physics...AC in particular .
    You don't need to be qualified in physics to accept what the experts at the CSIRO and BOM are telling you - just as you don't need to be a GM to accept the advice of Magnus Carlsen. On the other hand, if you want to reject the advice of experts, as Seibt does, then you do need to be an expert yourself - otherwise it's like taking the advice of a beginner over that of Carlsen.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Really good series from the Guardian I notice that they credit The Washington Post for inspiring them.

Albanese says we can’t replace steelmaking coal. But we already have green alternatives

Despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary, some still propagate the myth that the world will need Australian coal for decades to come. Last weekend Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese joined in, saying thermal and metallurgical coal mining and exports would continue after 2050, even with a net zero emissions target.

Metallurgical coal (or “coking coal”) is mined to produce the carbon used in steelmaking, while thermal coal is used to make steam that generates electricity.

Albanese argues there’s no replacement for metallurgical coal, but this is not the case. The assertion stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of modern steelmaking, and places Australian manufacturers at risk of missing out on massive opportunities in the global shift to a low-carbon economy.

Just as thermal coal can be replaced with clean energy from renewables, we can use low-emissions steel manufacturing to phase out metallurgical coal. ...

CC Grandmaster
    Albanese says we can’t replace steelmaking coal. But we already have green alternatives

Despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary, some still propagate the myth that the world will need Australian coal for decades to come. Last weekend Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese joined in, saying thermal and metallurgical coal mining and exports would continue after 2050, even with a net zero emissions target.

Metallurgical coal (or “coking coal”) is mined to produce the carbon used in steelmaking, while thermal coal is used to make steam that generates electricity.

Albanese argues there’s no replacement for metallurgical coal, but this is not the case. The assertion stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of modern steelmaking, and places Australian manufacturers at risk of missing out on massive opportunities in the global shift to a low-carbon economy.

Just as thermal coal can be replaced with clean energy from renewables, we can use low-emissions steel manufacturing to phase out metallurgical coal. ...
    So replace it...just do it through the market forces! .

Also, I wonder if by the year 2050, totally new kinds of fuels may become available. In 30 years, a lot of things may happen.

So replace it...just do it through the market forces! .
    It's happening right now. Major European steelmakers like ThyssenKrupp and SSAB are building pilot plants, while Boston Metal in the US is being backed by Bill Gates.

The era of making steel without carbon emissions is here

Also, I wonder if by the year 2050, totally new kinds of fuels may become available. In 30 years, a lot of things may happen.
    Hydrogen. Made from water, emissions-free (assuming the electrolysis process is powered by renewables), easily packed and transported, able to power industry and transport.
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 29-02-2020 at 08:19 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    It's happening right now. Major European steelmakers like ThyssenKrupp and SSAB are building pilot plants, while Boston Metal in the US is being backed by Bill Gates.

The era of making steel without carbon emissions is here

Hydrogen. Made from water, emissions-free (assuming the electrolysis process is powered by renewables), easily packed and transported, able to power industry and transport.
    Good! This is the best solution of all. To quote the article: While SSAB estimates steel made with its process s currnetly 20 to 30 per cent more expensive, Boston claims that its steel would actually be cheaper.

So...if its really cheaper - that is the way to go.

Hysteria whippers beware, Naomi's back!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...limate-sceptic
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

In defense of Capitalism.
    Money is the cause of all evil!
    Wrong
    Lack of money is the cause of all evil!

Thread Information