Page 432 of 436 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 6531
  1. #6466
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,780
    Aussies back stronger climate action: Lowy

    Australians overwhelmingly support taxpayer-funded investment in renewable energy and bigger cuts to carbon emissions to combat climate change, a poll shows.

    Some 90 per cent support federal subsidies for renewable energy technology and more than three quarters (77 per cent) support more ambitious cuts to emissions this decade, according to Lowy Institute research released on Wednesday. ...

  2. #6467
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Blockade a city and open the door to the right: zealots do Dutton a favour

    The return of a Coalition government in 2025 is a long shot, whether under Peter Dutton or anyone else. But oppositions have come roaring back to government after a defeat, especially the Coalition.

    And if the unlikely happens and the conservatives are back in Canberra in three years, perhaps historians will see the seeds having been sown in the first six weeks of the Albanese government.

    The Blockade protests have been an exercise in bloodymindedness. Ironically, most of their commuter victims on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the morning peak are likely to be voters who supported climate-action candidates in North Sydney, Mackellar and Warringah.

    The Blockade spokespeople and their champions repeatedly assert that no social change has happened without disruption and some inconvenience to the populace. That assertion might apply in jurisdictions such as the US and South Africa, but much less so in the social laboratory of the Australian federation since 1901. ...
    Blockade the city....any chance of acting in a civilized way not to disturb people's work/leisure time?. Their behaviour does not make me want to support their cause. On the contrary, want to offer my skills to teach martial arts to motorists to help them get by while travelling...looks like its the only way~
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  3. #6468
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Aussies back stronger climate action: Lowy

    Australians overwhelmingly support taxpayer-funded investment in renewable energy and bigger cuts to carbon emissions to combat climate change, a poll shows.

    Some 90 per cent support federal subsidies for renewable energy technology and more than three quarters (77 per cent) support more ambitious cuts to emissions this decade, according to Lowy Institute research released on Wednesday. ...
    No problem with backing up any initiatives...but does it mean roads need to be blocked?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  4. #6469
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,780
    Closing of oil and coal power plants linked to drop in preterm births

    The shuttering of eight oil- and coal-fueled electric plants in California was associated with a sizeable decrease in preterm births among women living nearby, researchers say.

    Their study took advantage of a “natural experiment” when six oil-fueled electricity-generating plants and two coal-powered plants were retired. Using data collected from 2001 to 2011, they found that preterm birth rates among women exposed to the highest amounts of pollution from the plants fell from 7 percent of births to 5.1 percent after the plant closures. ...

  5. #6470
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Closing of oil and coal power plants linked to drop in preterm births

    The shuttering of eight oil- and coal-fueled electric plants in California was associated with a sizeable decrease in preterm births among women living nearby, researchers say.

    Their study took advantage of a “natural experiment” when six oil-fueled electricity-generating plants and two coal-powered plants were retired. Using data collected from 2001 to 2011, they found that preterm birth rates among women exposed to the highest amounts of pollution from the plants fell from 7 percent of births to 5.1 percent after the plant closures. ...
    It does smell like data torturing .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  6. #6471
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    It does smell like data torturing .
    No it does not. Why would it be in the least bit surpirsing that less polution would mean less early births?

  7. #6472
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    No it does not. Why would it be in the least bit surpirsing that less polution would mean less early births?
    I am no expert in neither early birth or polution so it is neither surprising nor not surprising for me. However, curious how they've done the data analytics . Big Data analytics is always tricky and the fall from 7% to 5.1% could be attributed to a number of factors so wondering if the study assumed that all other factors (other than the closures) remained unchanged .
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  8. #6473
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I am no expert in neither early birth or polution so it is neither surprising nor not surprising for me. However, curious how they've done the data analytics . Big Data analytics is always tricky and the fall from 7% to 5.1% could be attributed to a number of factors so wondering if the study assumed that all other factors (other than the closures) remained unchanged .
    To quote the article ''The improvement was greatest among non-Hispanic Asian and black women '' as I assume impact is same on all races...would be interesting to see how for women living in same area....some ethnica groups have been gaining greater benefits...if we assume polution was the main factor.
    Btw, I am certainly against polution etc. but do not like it when people turn analytics into the ''assumptions game''.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  9. #6474
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,780
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    To quote the article ''The improvement was greatest among non-Hispanic Asian and black women '' as I assume impact is same on all races...would be interesting to see how for women living in same area....some ethnica groups have been gaining greater benefits...if we assume polution was the main factor.
    Btw, I am certainly against polution etc. but do not like it when people turn analytics into the ''assumptions game''.
    If you are interested in the methodology, you should not rely on a wire service report but go to the source material, here and here, where your concerns are addressed by experts in their field.

    Considering that "a persistent and substantial racial disparity in preterm birth rates exists in the United States, with a disproportionate impact on non-Hispanic black mothers and infants", a commensurate decrease in preterm births with the removal of sources of pollutants might result, and in fact happened.

  10. #6475
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    To quote the article ''The improvement was greatest among non-Hispanic Asian and black women '' as I assume impact is same on all races...would be interesting to see how for women living in same area....some ethnica groups have been gaining greater benefits...if we assume polution was the main factor. Btw, I am certainly against polution etc. but do not like it when people turn analytics into the ''assumptions game''.
    So why would you assume that the "impact is same on all races" without any evidence? Housing is very segregated in the US, which probably explains the disparity.

  11. #6476
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    So why would you assume that the "impact is same on all races" without any evidence? Housing is very segregated in the US, which probably explains the disparity.
    We are talking about particular area. If a report claims that race factor is being considered - we should be able to assume that all of the races considered are represented in the area to a sufficient extent to form a sample.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  12. #6477
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    ''The poll of 1,001 Australians undertaken in June for the IPA, asked respondents whether they agree or disagree with the following statement: “Australia should pause its commitment to the policy of net zero emissions by 2050, as the UK has done, until we have enough energy supplies to avoid blackouts.”

    61% Agree
    22% Neither agree nor disagree
    17% Disagree
    Source: https://www.2gb.com/podcast/aussies-...h7wE1OiGa3KOjg
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  13. #6478
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    ''The poll of 1,001 Australians undertaken in June for the IPA, asked respondents whether they agree or disagree with the following statement: “Australia should pause its commitment to the policy of net zero emissions by 2050, as the UK has done, until we have enough energy supplies to avoid blackouts.”

    61% Agree
    22% Neither agree nor disagree
    17% Disagree
    Source: https://www.2gb.com/podcast/aussies-...h7wE1OiGa3KOjg
    It seems to be quite a biased way of asking the question and I am not surprised a majority agreed given the way it was asked.

  14. #6479
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    18,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    It seems to be quite a biased way of asking the question and I am not surprised a majority agreed given the way it was asked.
    We can change the question around to '' Would you be prepared to pay higher price for energy as well as slow-down development of the Australian economy if this is what Net Zero requires?
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

  15. #6480
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    We can change the question around to '' Would you be prepared to pay higher price for energy as well as slow-down development of the Australian economy if this is what Net Zero requires?
    But is that what Net Zero requires?
    I am not sure it is so the question is very biased.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Death of Climate Change Consensus
    By Spiny Norman in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2021, 08:39 PM
  2. Evangelism and Climate Change
    By Ian Murray in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 11:24 AM
  3. Climate Change (read bottom up)
    By antichrist in forum Politics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
  4. Climate Change Is Irreversable ??
    By Bruce Oates in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-01-2009, 09:55 PM
  5. Pentagon Report on Climate Change
    By Cat in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-06-2004, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •