Page 305 of 307 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 4598
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Please...ask school children in a public school next time how to work out Interest for a loan over 20 years . In Russia, it is grade 3 staff but I can recall getting such ''puzzles'' in year 11-12 in Australia
    Maybe a very simple interest calculation you may have learnt in grade 3 but the full whammy of changing from variable to fixed half way through I doubt you learnt in grade 3. My public school chess teams thrashed the expensive private school teams for your info
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

This is not an analogy but an explanation of the fact that majority of school kids in pubic schools lack sufficient knowledge to understand complex matters/processes.
    It is not a complex issue I believe my fishpond analogy proves it is a simple issue for which very little scientific knowledge is necessary. I can provide pic of said fishpond if that would assist you
    Last edited by antichrist; 11-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Maybe a very simple interest calculation you may have learnt in grade 3 but the full whammy of changing from variable to fixed half way through I doubt you learnt in grade 3. My public school chess teams thrashed the expensive private school teams for your info
    International comparisons show that Russia is not significantly ahead of Australia in maths. And this NAPLAN test shows that simple interest is studied in Year 9.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    International comparisons show that Russia is not significantly ahead of Australia in maths. And this NAPLAN test shows that simple interest is studied in Year 9.
    You can also say that India and China are not ahead of Australia because there are poor kids in India who do not go to school...Re ''simple'' Interest: how about compound interest? By the way, I clearly remember solving interest related problems in year 11..and that was Melbourne High school
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

You can also say that India and China are not ahead of Australia because there are poor kids in India who do not go to school...Re ''simple'' Interest: how about compound interest? By the way, I clearly remember solving interest related problems in year 11..and that was Melbourne High school
    So you didn't learn about interest rates in Grade 3 after all

Here's a simple diagram you can understand - the carbon cycle

carbon_cycle.jpg
    https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/CarbonCycle

The cycle has kept global temperatures livable for a long time, until human emissions began perturbing the equilibrium

CC Grandmaster
    You can also say that India and China are not ahead of Australia because there are poor kids in India who do not go to school...
    Only schoolchildren were tested.

Re ''simple'' Interest: how about compound interest? By the way, I clearly remember solving interest related problems in year 11..and that was Melbourne High school
    Year 11 compound interest:
    Year 11 Compound Interest Capture.JPG

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    ABC Radio Hobart this morning got some [real] Scientists to respond to Climate Change sceptics. For some reason they didn't invite Alan Jones: ABC radio Hobart curious climate sceptics
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Yes. so this is year 11 ...and this was Melbourne High School! One of best schools i suppose.
    If this is year 11..what do they do in year 7?
    Last edited by MichaelBaron; 11-07-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Yes. so this is year 11 ...and this was Melbourne High School! One of best schools i suppose.
    Year 11 is the relevant year to teach as they will soon be leaving school and may need such knowledge. They probably cannot take out a loan to age 18 years. Not everyone is a Donald Trump son with their dad giving them millions since primary school.

CC Grandmaster
    Huh!? The example I provided is from a Qld Maths B textbook - Maths B is studied at most (probably all) high schools.
    Not too many Year 7s would be part of the climate marches.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Why don’t we let Greta speak for the children…

Thunberg readily concurs. “I have spoken to many politicians who ask me ‘What do you think about this?’, and it’s just insane,” she says. “We are not doing this because we have solutions and we want to be the ones in power, we are just messengers. We are just children and we cannot solve this. We cannot wait for us to grow up and become the ones in charge because by then it will be too late.” In her speech to the UK parliament, she was not optimistic, noting that despite the strikers' accomplishments, the greenhouse-gas emission curve was still rising.

Scientists, too, back the youth activists – in March 2019, more than 12,000 of them signed a letter in support of the youth protests. “She and her colleagues have great moral authority – they’ll have to live with these changes all their lives,” says climate scholar Bill McKibben. “They can call on the rest of us to act, and they have. And I think many people will choose to answer.”
    Thunberg is neither hopeful nor pessimistic about the future of our planet – she is firmly grounded in the present, trying to change what she can now. “I have just decided that I will do this even if there is no hope. Not having hope is not an excuse for not doing something,” she says. “Everyone says different things. Some say we are already screwed and some say we still have time.” Her message, as always, is calm and clear. “I just hope that this movement will continue and we do something about the climate – because that is the only thing that matters.”

Greta Thunberg Climate Crisis
    Amelia Tait
    WIRED – 6 June 2019
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Why don’t we let Greta speak for the children…

Thunberg readily concurs. “I have spoken to many politicians who ask me ‘What do you think about this?’, and it’s just insane,” she says. “We are not doing this because we have solutions and we want to be the ones in power, we are just messengers. We are just children and we cannot solve this. We cannot wait for us to grow up and become the ones in charge because by then it will be too late.” In her speech to the UK parliament, she was not optimistic, noting that despite the strikers' accomplishments, the greenhouse-gas emission curve was still rising.

Scientists, too, back the youth activists – in March 2019, more than 12,000 of them signed a letter in support of the youth protests. “She and her colleagues have great moral authority – they’ll have to live with these changes all their lives,” says climate scholar Bill McKibben. “They can call on the rest of us to act, and they have. And I think many people will choose to answer.”
    Thunberg is neither hopeful nor pessimistic about the future of our planet – she is firmly grounded in the present, trying to change what she can now. “I have just decided that I will do this even if there is no hope. Not having hope is not an excuse for not doing something,” she says. “Everyone says different things. Some say we are already screwed and some say we still have time.” Her message, as always, is calm and clear. “I just hope that this movement will continue and we do something about the climate – because that is the only thing that matters.”

Greta Thunberg Climate Crisis
    Amelia Tait
    WIRED – 6 June 2019

Meanwhile Australian coal interests think the good times will never end

Coal left Appalachia devastated. Now it’s doing the same to Wyoming
    Vox

Wyoming is facing a potential crisis. Coal mines have shut down, hundreds of people are out of work, unemployment offices are overwhelmed, and there appears to be worse to come.

The coal industry, long seen as a friend and economic linchpin in the state, is falling apart, and the very communities that have supported it most are getting screwed over in the process.

This wasn’t supposed to happen in Wyoming. After all, it’s not like Appalachian coal country (West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, and Pennsylvania, along with eastern Ohio and parts of Alabama, Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia).

Appalachia, which has been ground into codependent poverty by the coal industry over the course of a century, has been declining, in coal output and employment, for decades. Lately it has only gotten worse, as companies declare bankruptcy, executives get healthy bonuses, polluted coal mines are abandoned, and miners and retirees are denied long-promised health benefits and pensions.

But it has long been industry conventional wisdom that Western coal would continue to prosper, at least for a while. The coal boom in the Powder River Basin — the largest coal basin in the US, the source of 40 percent of American coal, spanning northeast Wyoming and southeast Montana — dates back to the early 1970s. It has resulted in a few large companies with deep local roots, their taxes funding infrastructure and schools. Their steady profitability has made coal the heart of several Western communities. There are 13,000 coal-dependent jobs in the PRB.

It’s beginning to look like conventional wisdom was wrong. Western coal is declining too, and as it does, vulture capitalists are buying up mines, squeezing out the last bit of profits, and declaring bankruptcy, leaving behind an environmental mess and workers without jobs or pensions. ...
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 12-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.

The California coast is disappearing under the rising sea. Our choices are grim
    LA Times

...Elsewhere, Miami has been drowning, Louisiana shrinking, North Carolina’s beaches disappearing like a time lapse with no ending. While other regions grappled with destructive waves and rising seas, the West Coast for decades was spared by a rare confluence of favorable winds and cooler water. This “sea level rise suppression,” as scientists call it, went largely undetected. Blinded from the consequences of a warming planet, Californians kept building right to the water’s edge.

But lines in the sand are meant to shift. In the last 100 years, the sea rose less than 9 inches in California. By the end of this century, the surge could be greater than 9 feet.

Wildfire and drought dominate the climate change debates in the state. Yet this less-talked-about reality has California cornered. The coastline is eroding with every tide and storm, but everything built before we knew better — Pacific Coast Highway, multimillion-dollar homes in Malibu, the rail line to San Diego — is fixed in place with nowhere to go.

But the world is getting hotter, the great ice sheets still melting, the rising ocean a slow-moving disaster that has already swept past California’s front door. ...

Much of California’s climate change efforts have centered on reducing carbon emissions and the rate of global warming, rather than dealing with how to live with these increasing hazards, said Heather Cooley, research director of the Pacific Institute, an Oakland think tank that has studied the economic impact of sea level rise.

“We need to do both,” she said. “We’re already locked into a certain amount of climate change, and we need to adapt to the effects that we know we’re going to be experiencing.”...
    Last edited by Ian Murray; 14-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Information