Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 126
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871

    Crying on the chessboard (split from WWCC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    On this report Jana Jackova is wearing what looks to me like a rock band t-shirt of some kind. If so, anyone recognise it and able to name the band? Not a lot to go on but someone might know it.
    From the article:
    Being very upset after having lost to the great Maia Chiburdanidze, Marie Sebag of France sobbed uncontrollably.
    Boohoo. What do you think, is this typical of a woman or of just a player who takes what they do too seriously? I know some past juniors who used to shed quite a few tears at the board..
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-05-2004 at 09:38 PM.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  2. #2
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    What do you think, is this typical of a woman or of just a player who takes what they do too seriously? I know some past juniors who used to shed quite a few tears at the board..
    I've seen a strong player around my age cry after losing a game, but it was really because of off-board stresses that were released by the defeat. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that someone crying after losing a game was crying just because they lost.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  3. #3
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Boohoo. What do you think, is this typical of a woman or of just a player who takes what they do too seriously? I know some past juniors who used to shed quite a few tears at the board..
    Well if you shouldn't take the World Champs seriously, what the hell should you? Players to get to that level have to take it seriously, it is if not all, at least a large chunk of their life. Not everyone is happy to sit on FICS and play bug their whole life.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    From the article:


    Boohoo. What do you think, is this typical of a woman or of just a player who takes what they do too seriously? I know some past juniors who used to shed quite a few tears at the board..
    At the 2002 Olympiad Polish GM Mikhal Krasenkow lost in very short order to Nikolic. He stood up from the board, walked a few paces along the aisle and began crying his eyes out.
    We all have ways of dealing with our success and failure, both men and women.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I've seen a strong player around my age cry after losing a game, but it was really because of off-board stresses that were released by the defeat. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that someone crying after losing a game was crying just because they lost.
    That's fair enough Kevin if that's the case, the effect was not wholly due to the cause one may have assumed it to be. Crying solely because of the lost game however, is equivalent of crying over spilt milk.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Well if you shouldn't take the World Champs seriously, what the hell should you? Players to get to that level have to take it seriously, it is if not all, at least a large chunk of their life. Not everyone is happy to sit on FICS and play bug their whole life.
    People can still take things seriously without losing control over their emotions.

    Regarding your last sentence, what are you trying to imply? If you have an issue come out and say it.. I enjoy occasionally playing on FICS but it's hardly my life, there are more constructive things to do. Personally I believe devoting one's life to a game is time better spent elsewhere.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    At the 2002 Olympiad Polish GM Mikhal Krasenkow lost in very short order to Nikolic. He stood up from the board, walked a few paces along the aisle and began crying his eyes out.
    We all have ways of dealing with our success and failure, both men and women.
    Shaun, you are correct, I was perhaps too harsh in criticising but I did say what I said to generate response and see what you all thought. Indeed it may be better to deal openly with issues than leave them repressed.. get angry then get over it
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  8. #8
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    That's fair enough Kevin if that's the case, the effect was not wholly due to the cause one may have assumed it to be. Crying solely because of the lost game however, is equivalent of crying over spilt milk.
    And you'd know from your personal experience , playing in World Champs and the like?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    And you'd know from your personal experience , playing in World Champs and the like?
    you could always ask jose

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    And you'd know from your personal experience , playing in World Champs and the like?
    And you would also Barry? You self-righteous pr**k.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  11. #11
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    People can still take things seriously without losing control over their emotions.

    Regarding your last sentence, what are you trying to imply? If you have an issue come out and say it.. I enjoy occasionally playing on FICS but it's hardly my life, there are more constructive things to do. Personally I believe devoting one's life to a game is time better spent elsewhere.
    What I have an issue with is you assuming your list of priorites, which might be appropriate for an chess amateur, is also appropriate to the elite players playing in the quite possibly the most important tournament of their careers to date and perhaps for ever.

    I also take issue with your WASP view that the expression of emotion in public is somehow unseemly.

    On the whole, don't assume one world view fits all.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,310
    and i suggest starting a new thread for this.

  13. #13
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    And you would also Barry? You self-righteous pr**k.
    Actually I was just affronted by your self-righteousness, and was defending those who don't post on this BB.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    What I have an issue with is you assuming your list of priorites, which might be appropriate for an chess amateur, is also appropriate to the elite players playing in the quite possibly the most important tournament of their careers to date and perhaps for ever.
    Your point being? I'd be embarassed to have an opponent cry after losing. It doesn't show very strong character and can be seen even as being a bad sport and not being gracious in defeat. You can read my replies to Kevin and Shaun when I think such behaviour may be acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    I also take issue with your WASP view that the expression of emotion in public is somehow unseemly.

    On the whole, don't assume one world view fits all.
    Not always unseemly but uncalled for and unsportsmanlike given the circumstances. Are you a cry-baby in public Barry? or should I ask, are you a man or a mouse?


    Actually I was just affronted by your self-righteousness, and was defending those who don't post on this BB.
    I'm expressing my opinion.. that's what a BB is for. You're also welcome to yours..
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    and i suggest starting a new thread for this.
    Not everything has to be 'by the book'. Kevin Bonham already commented how some threads simply diverge into different topics.

    P.S. Are you playing Surfers tomorrow?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •