Thread: Ideas?

Ideas?

A game I played on FICS tonight. Apart from the miscalculated pawn exchange around move 30 under extreme time pressure (<20 secs on guillotine clock) there no big tactical wowsers, but I'm assuming I had some positional problems? Just felt that the initiative slipped away from me...

White: JimAbbott
    Black: groovyhassle
    Result: 0-1
    ECO: C45
    WhiteElo: 1273
    BlackElo: 1301
    TimeControl: 1800

PGN Viewer

Rybka suggests 8.Qe3 rather than Qxf6. Couple of other improvements, but as I say, no "?" moves apart from 30.g5.

Anyone got any strategic/positional advice? I exchanged Qs in anticipation of maybe getting a K-side pawn storm rolling... did I have a better plan to pursue?
    "the other lefty"

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'm not mad-keen on 15.f5. It gives you a badly backwards e-pawn which assists Black to open the board for the two bishops (and gives the dark-square bishop good squares).

However ...d4 from Black is pretty hard to fathom as it gives up the bishop pair and incurs a pawn weakness. White is better after that. Towards the end, activating the king with the idea of having a go at winning Black's isolated d-pawn is a good plan. You could do this right away with 25.Kc1 followed by Kd2 and maybe at some stage R-f1-f4. White has good chances there.

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Hi, Euro

I think that Black's strategy of offering wholesale exchanges from the opening is not so good. I think that rather than 8.Qxf6, or 8.Qe3, I prefer 8.Be3 and white is even further ahead in development. If black enforces the exchange by c7-c5, White has gained a useful backward d6 pawn to work on, and if Black exchanges on d4, and then plays c5 in an attempt to trap the Bc4 via a later b5, then the Bc4 can go to d5, hitting the Ra8, still with White having the better game.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

I certainly agree that Qxf6 is a weak move. Black's queen is poorly placed there, obstructing the natural development of the Ng8. I would prefer moving the queen, since this prevents a queen swap if black really wants to pursue that, and also on 8.Be3 Qg6 looks a bit annoying because if 9.0-0 then Bh3. Perhaps also possible is to let black have the g-pawn if he wants it with 9.0-0-0. It might be that white has good play for the pawn here, but I think the simple 9.Qe3 and white has a decent advantage out of the opening.

CC Candidate Master
    I will go with the crowed and suggest that Qxf6 is perhaps the most serious mistake since it misses an opportunity to obtain a large advantage with either Be3 or Qe3. I don't white needs to worry about boris's suggestion of
    Qg6 after Be3 since, after 0-0-0 whites advantage is nearly overwhelming.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure about the plan involving Bg5 and Bxf6 followed by Nd5. Although whites position looks asythesically better I don't see how white can make significant progress, since black always seems to have the option of c6 booting the knight, perhaps Be3 followed by f4 is sufficient to maitain a slight edge. I think the main problem with this position is the fact that white has thrown away his chance at a significant advantage with Qxf6 and probably can't hope for more than a slight plus anyway.

Thread Information