Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I recently bought Silman's new book on endgame technique - in it, he claims that he's faced KBN v K once in his entire career, and IM John Donaldson has never seen it. On this basis, he deliberately and openly omits KBN v K from the book entirely!

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    I must disagree with Silman here though. Capablanca's Chess Fundamentals taught the technique. It is a good exercise in cooperation of the pieces.

I could understand omitting K+3N, but that is easier anyway. Also, K+3N dominate K+N. Once I had to win 2NvP in an Internet blitz game (increment IIRC), and that comes up every so often.

CC International Master
    I have just taught Anton how to mate with N and B. He managed to mate me 3 times in a row. Still a little bit shaky at the moment, but believe me or not in a week time he will be comfortably mating with less than 2 minutes on his clocks. Kevin, you want a bet that 6-year-old can mate you with N and B in less than 2 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by drug
    I have just taught Anton how to mate with N and B. He managed to mate me 3 times in a row. Still a little bit shaky at the moment, but believe me or not in a week time he will be comfortably mating with less than 2 minutes on his clocks. Kevin, you want a bet that 6-year-old can mate you with N and B in less than 2 minutes?
    That's impressive! Most 6yos would have trouble with K+QvK.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC International Master
    Anton just managed to beat (K+N+B vs K) a 2450 IM. Anton had only 5 minutes on his clocks. Still needs some practise but already not too bad. Not many 2000 players can do that. The IM was really impressed.

Then I had a go against him (K+N+B vs K). The first time it took me 1 minute. The second time I finished the game in 30 seconds. I wander if anybody can do that in less than 15 seconds?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Anton just managed to beat (K+N+B vs K) a 2450 IM. Anton had only 5 minutes on his clocks. Still needs some practise but already not too bad. Not many 2000 players can do that. The IM was really impressed.

Then I had a go against him (K+N+B vs K). The first time it took me 1 minute. The second time I finished the game in 30 seconds. I wander if anybody can do that in less than 15 seconds?
    Wow! That is mightily impressive.

My sole experience of KNB vs K was long ago as a junior. A prominent junior arbiter (and coach) at the time asserted that KNB vs K was a draw (I think in the context of a game that nearly ended up in it). I told him he was wrong, and he didn't believe me. In order to persuade him I had to go away and learn it and then proceeded to beat him with it a few times.

In hindsight, it is possible that he only said it was a draw in order to induce me to learn it (if so, smart psychology), but I think he genuinely believed it at the time..

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    My sole experience of KNB vs K was long ago as a junior. A prominent junior arbiter (and coach) at the time asserted that KNB vs K was a draw.
    He is probably right in 50% of the cases
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    There are three much more difficult endgames where even the strongest grandmasters stumble:
    KR v KN
    KRN v KR
    KRB v KR

some others are also quite remarkable, like KBB vKN, KNN vKp, KQp v KQ, etc.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

I saw a video by IM (now GM) Jesse Kraai demonstrating two top-10 GMs mishandling KQ v KR, and allowing a draw IIRC. The main thing the stronger side missed was the win in this position (or symmetry-related variants):

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 07-08-2007 at 05:21 PM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I have had KQ vs KR in a tournament game twice! First time with no increment I lost on time while reaching out to play mate in one and blew $150. Second time I had a ten-second increment and won.

I had a drawn KR vs KN once in which the defender at one point for one move strayed into a lost position but I missed the win, $160 lost there.

I failed to win KRBP (rooks pawn) vs KR in a simul vs GM Johansen a very long time ago.

During the 2007 Peninsula Open, Peter Froehlich had KQ v KR against Jacob Edwards (2065 acf) in a 90/10 game.

With both players surfing the increment, Peter managed to drop his queen cold.

It certainly deserved to be in the pits/shockers thread. I was not actually present for this event, but was playing in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    During the 2007 Peninsula Open, Peter Froehlich had KQ v KR against Jacob Edwards (2065 acf) in a 90/10 game.

It certainly deserved to be in the pits/shockers thread. I was not actually present for this event, but was playing in the tournament.
    Yeah, saw that. Peter didn't realise that he had put his Q en prise, but the arbiter saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have had KQ vs KR in a tournament game twice! First time with no increment I lost on time while reaching out to play mate in one and blew $150. Second time I had a ten-second increment and won.

I had a drawn KR vs KN once in which the defender at one point for one move strayed into a lost position but I missed the win, $160 lost there.

I failed to win KRBP (rooks pawn) vs KR in a simul vs GM Johansen a very long time ago.
    Bummer. Even with the B and RP of the wrong coloured queening square, it should be a win with Rs on, e.g. Capablanca vs Tarrasch, St. Petersburg 1914.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Bummer. Even with the B and RP of the wrong coloured queening square, it should be a win with Rs on, e.g. Capablanca vs Tarrasch, St. Petersburg 1914.
    It was wrong-coloured square and my error was to push the pawn too far, ending up having to give it up, and then I couldn't win the KRB vs KR that resulted. (He was down for another couple of simuls the next year and I managed a win in one of those. These were in the days when I was strong-ish but not really an outright local tournament threat, probably about 1800 strength in today's terms.)

Thread Information