View Poll Results: Who will win? Tiebreak will be used for first.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alekseev

0 0%
  • Anand

7 33.33%
  • Carlsen

5 23.81%
  • Gelfand

1 4.76%
  • Kramnik

6 28.57%
  • Leko

0 0%
  • Madmedyarov

2 9.52%
  • Naiditsch

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Dortmund

2007 Dortmund

Dortmund is here again, starting June 23 and so it is time for a poll.

Tournament is only seven rounds, so single round robin. A little disappointing in my opinion.

Code:
    Saturday, 	23rd June 3 p.m. 1st Round
    Sunday, 	24th June 3 p.m. 2nd Round
    Monday, 	25th June rest-day
    Tuesday, 	26th June 3 p.m. 3rd Round
    Wednesday, 	27th June 3 p.m. 4th Round
    Thursday, 	28th June rest-day
    Friday, 	29th June 3 p.m. 5th Round
    Saturday, 	30th June 3 p.m. 6th Round
    Sunday, 	1st July 1 p.m. Final Round

Obviously this will effect some peoples votes, if anyone actually bothers to vote
    Quote Originally Posted by chessbase
    Breaking news: will Kramnik miss Dortmund?

20.06.2007 – On the eve of the Dortmund Super-GM tournament, which begins this weekend, we learn that world champion Vladimir Kramnik has fallen ill with a severe respiratory infection, which calls his participation into question. Kramnik's illness made it necessary to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Whether he can play in Dortmund or not will be decided in the next 48 hours.

Vladimir Kramnik's illness has nothing to do with the rheumatic disease Ankylosing Spondylitis, which plagued him two years ago, and caused him to drop out of the Wijk aan Zee tournament in January 2006. That problem is under control, as he revealed to us in a recent interview.

The current problem is a severe infection of the respiratory system, accompanied by high fever, which made it necessary to administer massive antibiotics. We learn from sources in Moscow that Kramnik had to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir on Wednesday because of this illness (the meeting was rescheduled for July).

When asked about his participation in the Super-GM tournament in Dortmund Kramnik's manager informed us that the situation was unclear. In his current condition playing serious chess games was out of the question. However a recovery in time for the start of the tournament on Saturday is still in the books. The next 48 hours will bring clarity. Kramnik will have to miss the press conference on Thursday and would, health permitting, arrive in Dortmund on Friday, in time for round one on Saturday at 3 p.m.

We will keep you briefed on the status of his participation.

Unable to play? This reminds me of Lleyton hewitt always injuring his ankle when he no longer wishes to play.... Kranmik just wants to save his tricks for the world championship.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    Unable to play? This reminds me of Lleyton hewitt always injuring his ankle when he no longer wishes to play.... Kranmik just wants to save his tricks for the world championship.
    I doubt that, otherwise why enter at all.

Any rumours about who would replace him? This doesn't seem to be mentioned on chessbase.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Garvin, was your vote for Mamedyarov partly influenced by his outrageously favourable draw? (4-3 colour split, white vs Kramnik and Anand)? I was thinking of tipping him anyway even before I saw that.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Garvin, was your vote for Mamedyarov partly influenced by his outrageously favourable draw? (4-3 colour split, white vs Kramnik and Anand)? I was thinking of tipping him anyway even before I saw that.
    Is white vs Anand and Kramnik all that favourable? In these supertournaments the winning strategy usually seems to be draw the big guys and pound on the little guys. From that point of view, Kramnik with white against Carlsen, Naiditsch and Gelfand looks pretty good.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Is white vs Anand and Kramnik all that favourable? In these supertournaments the winning strategy usually seems to be draw the big guys and pound on the little guys. From that point of view, Kramnik with white against Carlsen, Naiditsch and Gelfand looks pretty good.
    Hmm... I did not know Naiditch(2654), Carlsen(2693), let alone Gelfand(2733) are little guys, even for Kramnik. Well, Carlsen maybe (in terms of age )
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Naiditsch and Alekseev do look like the outsiders in this bunch. Any of the others could win it.

Nope, wasnt aware of the draw. I voted even before the chessbase article.

My reasoning is that Kramnik, Anand and Leko will all be keeping their preparations a secret until Mexico. Mamedyarov will be out to enhance his reputation as a player of the top class, which a win in this tournament would certainly do.

Regarding the colour split- of course if Kramnik withdraws, then it is 3-3. Then the question becomes, where do the players get the bye in terms of a favourable draw?

Still dont understand why this tournament is SRR, instead of DRR.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    My reasoning is that Kramnik, Anand and Leko will all be keeping their preparations a secret until Mexico.
    This was also a large part of my reasoning.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Hmm... I did not know Naiditch(2654), Carlsen(2693), let alone Gelfand(2733) are little guys, even for Kramnik. Well, Carlsen maybe (in terms of age )
    Come on, Igor - it's all relative. Note that nobody has backed Naiditsch or Gelfand to win, and only one has backed Carlsen. The three I mentioned are all in the bottom half of the seedings along with Alekseev.

CC Grandmaster
    Naiditsch and Alekseev do look like the outsiders in this bunch. Any of the others could win it.
    Kevin. Naiditsch won the tournament 2 years ago ahead of Kramnik, Topalov, Leko, Svidler and Adams. I would not right him off.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Sertez
    Kevin. Naiditsch won the tournament 2 years ago ahead of Kramnik, Topalov, Leko, Svidler and Adams. I would not right him off.
    I had forgotten that; there's probably a thread about it somewhere.

All the same, while no-one in such a field can be written off entirely, a surprise victory in a particular event doesn't make another surprise win in the same event much more likely in future.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Come on, Igor - it's all relative. Note that nobody has backed Naiditsch or Gelfand to win, and only one has backed Carlsen. The three I mentioned are all in the bottom half of the seedings along with Alekseev.
    Four of us have backed Carlsen now.
    He’s still very much an improving player so I like his chances enough to back him. Wouldn’t put my house on it though.

btw, how did Intuition get to vote twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    btw, how did Intuition get to vote twice?
    The first vote was his gut feel and the second was his sixth sense

Thread Information