Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

The Art of Troitzky

His name came up in the ANU thread. Here is an example of his artwork. From Chernev's 200 Brilliant Endgames.

White to play and win. (1930)

FEN Viewer
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Spoiler: possible dual

SPOILER: If you don't want to see the answer(s) then don't scroll down.

Actually I wonder if this has a dual solution. Apologies for posting the "answers" but I think seeing if anyone can kill one of these duals is more important.

(i) (I found this one myself - for some reason the theme "domination" just jumped out from the board at me and I saw that the R could win one B in a KR vs KB ending) 1.Rg4+ Kh8 2.c7 Bf5 3.Rf4 Bg3 (or Bb6) 4.Rxf5 Bxc7 5.Kc6! Bg3 6.Rh5+ K moves 7.Rg5+ +-

(ii) (Fritz found this) 1.Ke6! Bb6 (...Bc2 2.Rg4+) 2.Ra6 Bc7 3.Ra8+ Kg7 4.Ra7 +-

If I'm correct, I suspect this dual's been found before because the study is not among the dozen R+P vs BB domination studies included in my copy of Kasparyan's "Domination in 2545 Endgame Studies" (1974).

I'm very interested in domination themes generally, probably because I win a lot of games by trapping opposing pieces (usually rooks).
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    The first is the intended solution and I can see nothing wrong with the second either. Not as striking as the first but just a effective in securing the win.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information