Cool Accessing Australian Chess Games Online

I know the ozbase website is good, but alot of the games there are old, and recent tourneys like the sydney international for eg are not there. Is there other sites which may be useful??

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    I know the ozbase website is good, but alot of the games there are old, and recent tourneys like the sydney international for eg are not there. Is there other sites which may be useful??
    The Ozbase database is done by a volunteer and not a paid employee,thats why you are not going to find games from tournaments that have been recently completed.

Secondly, any good quality database is going to have "old" games.
    Thats why its called a database.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    SIO games entry is in progress.

Would you like to enter some of the games?

Any volunteers?

CC International Master
    I'd suggest chessbase.com (they have an online database) and/or chesslab.com. I'd also suggest if you want a particular event, check their website. You could also try state associations websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    I'd suggest chessbase.com (they have an online database) and/or chesslab.com. I'd also suggest if you want a particular event, check their website. You could also try state associations websites.
    if you use the chessbase one www.chesslive.de and use advanced option then type australia into the venue it gives 2000 games but that might be due to a limit so you might have to refine the years .... even then then latest i get are games in 2004

another tack is to see if there are accompanying pgn files for the tournaments which the FIDE ratings officer sends to FIDE for rating purposes.

also if you go to the twic site www.chesscenter.com and download the weekly batch of games then put them into a database then use a sort or filter to find games played here however it depends on how important the tournaments are ... doeberl premier results make it, ballarat begonia results also, championships etc

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    if you use the chessbase one www.chesslive.de and use advanced option then type australia into the venue it gives 2000 games but that might be due to a limit so you might have to refine the years .... even then then latest i get are games in 2004
    I think the problem there is that australia is often not going to be inputed as the venue. For instance if you put 2007 and rogers in you get his games from the sydney open, but if you put australia in the venue it no longer returns those games. But yes it is going to be a problem to find the Australian games in there as such. Another problem is that its not easy to download the games. You can select as pgn but that can be annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    also if you go to the twic site www.chesscenter.com and download the weekly batch of games then put them into a database then use a sort or filter to find games played here however it depends on how important the tournaments are ... doeberl premier results make it, ballarat begonia results also, championships etc
    I reckon all of the twic databases should be in chessbase and chesslab, but of course it is in a better format on twic.

Do you have the current URL for ozbase? The link from the ACF website is out of date. I have drawn this to the Webmaster's attention. The current URL is http://www.ozbase.com.au/ . The SIO isn't there yet but many of the 2007 Doeberl Cup games are. Paul Dunn maintains the database virtually single-handed. Also he can't enter games unless they are available to him . He concentrates in particular on searching for, and entering, old games so as to have as full an archive of Australian games as possible. If old games are not put on the database they may be lost forever. It is current to 26 April 2007 and currently contains 26,367 games which is not bad going.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Do you have the current URL for ozbase? The link from the ACF website is out of date. I have drawn this to the Webmaster's attention. The current URL is http://www.ozbase.com.au/ . The SIO isn't there yet but many of the 2007 Doeberl Cup games are. Paul Dunn maintains the database virtually single-handed. Also he can't enter games unless they are available to him . He concentrates in particular on searching for, and entering, old games so as to have as full an archive of Australian games as possible. If old games are not put on the database they may be lost forever. It is current to 26 April 2007 and currently contains 26,367 games which is not bad going.

DJ
    Yeah it's a great effort and good job by Paul and everyone else invlolved. Im not for a second suggesting the site is second rate as it is clearly the best site for aussie games. Maybe more games should be made avaliable somehow so they can be put on the site??? I guess I was expecting all aussie premier/major/minor games to be as easily accessible as anand games...but this clearly can't happen unless alot more ppl get on board and help...It would be good for aussie chess if this could happen tho

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Maybe more games should be made avaliable somehow so they can be put on the site??? I guess I was expecting all aussie premier/major/minor games to be as easily accessible as anand games...but this clearly can't happen unless alot more ppl get on board and help...It would be good for aussie chess if this could happen tho
    So I have these SIO scoresheets. Can I send you them?

Yeah it's a great effort and good job by Paul and everyone else invlolved. Im not for a second suggesting the site is second rate as it is clearly the best site for aussie games. Maybe more games should be made avaliable somehow so they can be put on the site??? I guess I was expecting all aussie premier/major/minor games to be as easily accessible as anand games...but this clearly can't happen unless alot more ppl get on board and help...It would be good for aussie chess if this could happen tho
    Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. As far as I know the scoresheets of tournaments are not usually collected by the organisers except in the biggest events like Australian Championships and Opens, the Doeberl Cup, the SIO and, I hope, the State Championships. Paul has done a lot of work chasing up old scoresheets from individual players' collections and old tournament bulletins and he also works in consultation with others like Bob Meadley and Tony Wright who are doing the same kind of research. But it's a heck of a lot of work hence Brian's post. One trick used recently is to get juniors to enter the games as they are finished in major events as the juniors can do that as well as anyone and actually think it is fun.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Candidate Master

Try ChessTheatre on Rootyhill site

My search tells me that Rootyhill site have an enormous collection of viewable tournament games international and local (SIO games are there too). I wonder it's not been noticed by most player. Dozy's favourite site must have done a lot of work on putting these together.

Thread Information