Training Techniques For Titled Players/ Strong

What is it that the pros do to stay sharp between tourneys and work on their game? Obviously, at that level opening prep and analysis plays a significant role but do tactics in general still get a decent run in? I think I read somewhere that Judit Polgar does tactical problems every day??

Was also wondering what strong aussie tourney players 1800-2200 who still work ect put into chess on a daily basis and what types of things you guys do to train.

Cheers
    Last edited by Intuition; 11-05-2007 at 03:14 PM.

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    Was also wondering ... what types of things you guys do to train. Cheers
    We drink lots of beer and chase crocodiles!

I try to study mistakes from my last tournament.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Was also wondering what strong aussie tourney players 1800-2200 who still work ect put into chess on a daily basis and what types of things you guys do to train.
    I don't quite work full-time (about 85% at the moment) but I do so many other things with my spare time that I probably don't have much more time for chess than many full-time workers.

I analyse every game I play, using computer assistance, and annotate the more interesting ones. I am also progressively annotating all my old games but not making very much progress with what will probably be a lifelong project at the current slow rate of progress!

Before major tournaments I will often brush up on a few openings that I am feeling rusty in. Nothing major, just an hour or two in total on anything from, say, two to six different lines.

I'm pretty lazy really. I just don't believe that spending hours and hours more on chess would make any real difference at my age (mid-30s) and given both my strengths and limitations. In particular I am hopeless at learning theory; I can't just sit down for several hours and swat up piles of it the way some people do.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham

I'm pretty lazy really. I just don't believe that spending hours and hours more on chess would make any real difference at my age (mid-30s) and given both my strengths and limitations. In particular I am hopeless at learning theory; I can't just sit down for several hours and swat up piles of it the way some people do.
    If you do not see improving in chess as one of your key goals (i certainly have this problem myself) then there is no point in working on the game seriously. However if you do, I do not think you should worry too much about the "limitations". Let sky be the limit and see how far you can get!
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In particular I am hopeless at learning theory; I can't just sit down for several hours and swat up piles of it the way some people do.
    Can you point out some people that "sit down for several hours and swat up piles of it the way some people do" ?

I think I'll get Gunner Duggan to pay them a visit

Thanks kevin/boris, but i guess with the majority not discolsing thier top secret prep and daily chess efforts we will be winning no olypiads for oz soon Analyisis of games is common and I think no doubt very effective.

CC Grandmaster
    Thanks kevin/boris, but i guess with the majority not discolsing thier top secret prep and daily chess efforts.
    Mine are top secret . Do not expect me to disclose them to you
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Thread Information