Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 148

Thread: Diplomacy

  1. #31
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704

    lost something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    damn, where's that circumflex button?
    Here is one!
    reson d'être
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  2. #32
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    And you will have given me a raison d'etre!
    damn, where's that circumflex button?
    And you will have given me a raison d'être!

    Thanks! Damn, I love copy and paste
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  3. #33
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704

    show off!

    lol no i just wanted to show off I knew what circumflex means!
    cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  4. #34
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Looks like we will have probably filling a game. Given the player shortage we have a couple of options.

    Option 1.

    We arrange a time to play simultaneously online. Will probably take several hours to finish a game but we should be able to save the game at the scheduled finish time and take it up again in a subsequent session.

    This could work by you guys downloading the AImapper and connecting to my machine when I will host the server application and I will run automated AI engines for the other players. We can either play gunboat or allow full press and just let the bots play gunboat. In this scenario I get to play.

    Option 2.

    I host the game on chess chat without participating and fill the remaining places with AI bots. I recommend allowing full press between humans and let the bots try and compete. Players PM orders to me before a published deadline and orders and results are posted on a thread here.

    In this scenario I am a dedicated arbiter and don't play.



    In both cases the biggest source of imbalance will be the bots vs human starting countries. That will be randomised and it will be up to the humans to play whatever situation they fnid themselves in to the best of their ability.

    What say you?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #35
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Looks like we will have probably filling a game. Given the player shortage we have a couple of options.

    Option 1.

    We arrange a time to play simultaneously online. Will probably take several hours to finish a game but we should be able to save the game at the scheduled finish time and take it up again in a subsequent session.

    This could work by you guys downloading the AImapper and connecting to my machine when I will host the server application and I will run automated AI engines for the other players. We can either play gunboat or allow full press and just let the bots play gunboat. In this scenario I get to play.

    Option 2.

    I host the game on chess chat without participating and fill the remaining places with AI bots. I recommend allowing full press between humans and let the bots try and compete. Players PM orders to me before a published deadline and orders and results are posted on a thread here.

    In this scenario I am a dedicated arbiter and don't play.



    In both cases the biggest source of imbalance will be the bots vs human starting countries. That will be randomised and it will be up to the humans to play whatever situation they fnid themselves in to the best of their ability.

    What say you?
    As a total newbie I don't mind either option but I think you'd like to play so I'll go with option 1.

    Getting everyone online at one time seems a problem perhaps we need to make moves/orders every 1-2-3-7 days.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

    Sydney International Open

    Parramatta Chess Club

    Manchester United - In decline since 92!

  6. #36
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    Getting everyone online at one time seems a problem perhaps we need to make moves/orders every 1-2-3-7 days.
    In the online option I was hoping to get many moves in one session. If we can schedule a 1 ot 2 hout timeslot when people can play we should be able to get in lots of moves, depending on the amount of diplomacy that goes on. Note: Option 1 might not be practical whcih is why I included option 2.

    I think the ideal scenario for internet diplomacy would be a computer arbitered game with the players wheeling and dealing via skype or MSN and playing simultaneously and with reasonably quick deadlines (like 5 minutes per move).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  7. #37
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    110
    Hi,

    I will try to workin with whatever but sounds like we should just play all against all without diplomacy in the first instance to see how the methodology works but like i said whatever the games Master wants.

    Regards
    frog

  8. #38
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    OK. In the interest of engendering some following here and then perhaps getting enough players to get a fully human game I think we will go for option 2.

    bergil
    heaviestknight
    Boris
    frog

    will play powers and the other three powers will be played by the computer. I think I'll make the computer Italy, Austria-Hungary and Germany as they are quite often the meat in the sandwich and I will allocate Russia, Turkey, France and England to the four humans randomly.

    This is to be a press level 0 game. This means the players should not discuss the game with each other at all. I ask all players respect this aspect of the game. It keeps it fair and interesting for all.

    Deadline for playing moves will be generally 3 days for Spring and Fall and 1 day for retreats (if required) and 1 day for Winter (if required). If this is not too everyone's liking then let me know before you miss a deadline.

    Moves are to be PMed to me here. I will process them along with the computer generated moves and post results in a soon to be created thread for the game.

    The rues of Diplomacy, maps and strategies, etc can be checked out on here...

    http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/home.htm

    I'll post a new thread with the player allocation and initial position shortly...
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #39
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    110
    Hi All,

    Looking forward to an interesting game - good luck to all - until the game starts of course.

    Regards
    frog

  10. #40
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,704

    what about howie though?

    I don't think this game gonna be any fun without Gunner though!
    Can we somehow entice him wo play?
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  11. #41
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by heaviestknight
    I don't think this game gonna be any fun without Gunner though!
    Can we somehow entice him wo play?
    Cheers and good luck!
    Come on Gunner. You can play Germany. Just model yourself on Kaiser Willhelm II.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #42
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    110
    Comeon howie comeon comeon comeon Howie Comeon.

    regards
    frog

  13. #43
    CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Picton, The Dilly, NSW
    Posts
    2,935
    I've had a read and i'm interested....... what do we need to start?
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

  14. #44
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    There is a game in progress here

    You you want to get a taste for it, I can assign you to one of the bots (France, Germany, Italy or Turkey) randomly and you can take over from Spring 1906.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  15. #45
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    Quote Originally Posted by TCN
    I've had a read and i'm interested....... what do we need to start?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sydney grade matches joke
    By Javier Gil in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 250
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
  2. ACF March 2004 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: 14-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •