Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Honour Roll

Mac Honour Roll

Every couple of weeks, someone gives it up and fronts centre as a mac guy. Others are out and proud from the get go. I'd like to compile a list of mac users.

Unshackled by the constraints of sub-standard global monopolising 'burdendom' are these known warriors on the side of good, light and freedom include:

Duggan, Howard
    Gletsos, William
    Jessop, Denis
    Renzies, Elliott

Are there any more of you brothers (or sisters) ?

I have a suspicion that Barry might have said something once, but I'd need confirmation.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Poll?

Howie, how about a poll?
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by heaviestknight
    Howie, how about a poll?
    Cheers and good luck!
    What, so all the faceless plodders can collectively ratify their slavery? Nah! This is just for the Gold Card members of the BB. We'll probably attract a bit of the riff-raff anyway, though.
    Last edited by Basil; 29-04-2007 at 02:37 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

correct!

correct!
    cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master
    macs and pcs are both subservient to the NAND gate.

Can't we all just get along?

Won't someone think of the children?

So Renée was talking to her daughter in Sydney today (mac user aye!, Renée and the daughter).

The daughter's friend went to Sydney uni today where she has re-enrolled for her psych studies. She took everything with her including her floppy disk with her previous studies on it! (Now hang PC users; first you shouldn't be reading this thread, second I remember when mac did away with floppy drives - oh didn't you all laugh - idiots.)

So anyway, "we don't use floppy disks any more here luv" etc.. and they came up with a work-around.

Yada yada yada, I'm told the Sydney Uni library only uses macs (anyone confirm?) <score one for the good guys>.

And yada yada yada, after her experience with the nicest and best computers she has ever seen, her new upgrade which would have been a PC plonk will now be a mac!

CC Grandmaster
    Anyone care to translate that incomprehensible ramble?

Not sure I can be of much help sorry Pax, but I'm guessing the MacHonour Roll is some variation on a sesame seed bun.
    meep meep

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Anyone care to translate that incomprehensible ramble?
    I hear UNSW is all Linux. Could that be true? Can anyone confirm or deny?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    I have a suspicion that Barry might have said something once, but I'd need confirmation.
    I used to own an Apple ][+ when I was in high school (>20 years ago). Apart from that, I don't think I qualify. Used 1st gen Macs at uni c.1984 but never really took a shine to them. Proceeded to use Amiga for the rest of the 80s and then migrated to PC for desktop. I use Linux for my servers but find Windows too convenient to change my desktop to anything else.

Thanks for clearing that up. The lure of a green screen? Or was it orange or black?

Seriously, I confess to knowing nothing about Amiga's early years. And while appreciating the relative limited capacity of all machines at that time, I'd be interested to hear your recollections of the industry and any/ all products in that era.

My God! that was 1/4 of a century ago. You must be similar vintage to me

EDIT: I vaguely recall Amigas being a command line, and that's about it as far as a user interface goes. Whereas macs were well into developing their user-friendly interface for matters not concerning maths, stats, programming etc.. They were busy pioneering DTP at the time from memory.
    Last edited by Basil; 02-05-2007 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks for clearing that up. The lure of a green screen? Or was it orange or black?

Seriously, I confess to knowing nothing about Amiga's early years. And while appreciating the relative limited capacity of all machines at that time, I'd be interested to hear your recollections of the industry and any/ all products in that era.
    The thing I liked the most about the Amiga was the stucture of the operating system. It didn't appear to be a haphazardly assembled series of patches. Oh it was also MC68000 based which I also liked at the time as I had some experience with programming 6800 and 68000.

My recollection of the Amiga (I haven't used one for many years now, was that the screen went white and then a couple of shades of grey as it wass booting. If there was an error in the boot (something I had a little experience in and most often responsible for) It might start flashing between green and orange. Normally, if you get some exception you would get the Amiga equivalent of the blue screen of death, which had an associated "Guru Meditation Number".

I still have heaps of Amiga OS books lying around here. All free to a good home. Titles like The System Programmer's Guide the the Amiga, and many, many others.

CC Grandmaster
    EDIT: I vaguely recall Amigas being a command line, and that's about it as far as a user interface goes. Whereas macs were well into developing their user-friendly interface for matters not concerning maths, stats, programming etc.. They were busy pioneering DTP at the time from memory.
    Your recollection is quite faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Your recollection is quite faulty.
    As is your bedside manner.

Jon, you seem prone to attacks of pointyness. Why couldn't you just be pleasant and share your experiences and your recollections. The discussion about the early days is obviously a genuine one.

Your two contributions to thread have both been negative. Now come on, let's forget about them and lift your game. I'd be happy to be hear of your recollections.
    Last edited by Basil; 02-05-2007 at 01:51 PM.

As is your bedside manner.
    The comment was terse but accurate.

From day 1 the Amiga OS (called Workbench) was user friendly GUI comparable to Mac OS and better than Windows of the same era.

The system module dealing with interfacing with the user was called Intuition, which was very nice to use and well structured.

Lamentably, those days are long gone.

Thread Information