Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I varied with 16...f6 from the Radjabov-Deep Junior game because the more I looked at that game the more I became convinced that Radjabov actually had the thing on toast (or at least a clear advantage) for a long time, and blew it much later on. I tried to find a later way to differ from the computer's play that looked promising but failed.
    I wasn't planning to copy the game. I thought Black was doing OK in that game, but I don't think I looked too deeply into it. My move new move was going to be 17.d5!? (so you beat me to it by one move). Today or tomorrow I will post some of my analysis with it.

The position was so complex that even with computer assistance/hinderance I struggled to work out exactly what was going on, so that I didn't anticipate being thrown further pawns with 26.e5 at all. (Of course I didn't have to take them, but not doing so just helped you open the position anyway.)
    I am not sure that the pawn sacing idea (starting with b3) was best. But then I haven't analyzed alternatives much. But I do think once I started that I had to play e5.

I didn't think I was winning after that
    And I thought the question was if I was winning or not.
    despite being three pawns up but it wasn't until I had a very difficult choice on move 34 that I realised things weren't looking very flash. Actually I missed a lot of lines at that point; immediately after playing ...Nf7 I panicked because I missed a line where I dropped a piece, then it turned out that that line was a probable win for me anyway, then you played another line which I had also missed (etc). In retrospect after 35.h3 I don't see much hope for black but the many other 34th move alternatives weren't looking promising either and I only played ...Nf7 because I didn't like any of the others.
    I spent a long time on 34...Ne6 and couldn't find any adequate line. Lots started off looking promising, but then if I ignore the computer a bit I could find a strong defence. If you had played this move, and I still couldn't find any strong lines, I had a cop out line prepared starting with 35.Qa1 and ending up in an equal rook ending. It did allow some alternatives along the way, but I thought they would be bad for you. So that line went 35.Qa1 Qg7 36. Qxa6 Nxc5 37.Qxc6+ Nd7 38.Rd3 Qe7 39.Qg6+ Qf7 40.Qxf7+ Kxf7 41.Rxd7+ and Rb7 and I think I should draw that pretty easily in corr.

Thanks for the game.

edit-Hmm when I looked back over to my other computer it was showing, in that Qa1 line, 39.Rd6 as an easier draw.
    Last edited by Aaron Guthrie; 02-09-2007 at 06:55 PM.

CC International Master
    This is one of the coolest lines I had following from 17.d5.
    PGN Viewer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    And I thought the question was if I was winning or not. I spent a long time on 34...Ne6 and couldn't find any adequate line. Lots started off looking promising, but then if I ignore the computer a bit I could find a strong defence. If you had played this move, and I still couldn't find any strong lines, I had a cop out line prepared starting with 35.Qa1 and ending up in an equal rook ending. It did allow some alternatives along the way, but I thought they would be bad for you. So that line went 35.Qa1 Qg7 36. Qxa6 Nxc5 37.Qxc6+ Nd7 38.Rd3 Qe7 39.Qg6+ Qf7 40.Qxf7+ Kxf7 41.Rxd7+ and Rb7 and I think I should draw that pretty easily in corr.
    I saw all that, but something else scared me off ...Ne6, only I haven't kept all my notes so I'm not sure what it was. As per your edit, you seem to have a pack of other drawing lines after 39.Rd6 but I can't see anything there that actually threatens to win for either side. Maybe I just figured it was unclear and you had at least a draw so there was just a risk you might find something more, and having not then seen anything wrong with ...Nf7 after quite a long look decided to play it instead. I might have been worried about whether all of the Q for R+N lines after 39.Rd6 Qd8 40.Qd5 were actually quite dead or not. They all seem to be, although there was some other line (probably not 34...Ne6) where I looked at some that were not so easy to hold.

I didn't look at 17.d5; I was quite worried enough about lines in the game continuation.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 02-09-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Thread Information