PGN Viewer

CC International Master
    PGN Viewer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    PGN Viewer

CC International Master
    PGN Viewer

I resign. Well played. Rxf6 seemed like a fun idea at the time but ended up just putting me a pawn up for more compensation than I could find any way to handle.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I resign. Well played. Rxf6 seemed like a fun idea at the time but ended up just putting me a pawn up for more compensation than I could find any way to handle.
    Thanks for the game. Comments on the game forthcoming.

CC International Master
    I am not so sure I picked the best way to handle the opening, e.g. maybe the a6-b5 plan was better. Also 13...Nh5 was interesting. 14...d5 wasn't even on the radar for the computer. If I don't play this move I think I will end up with a solid but passive position. I thought 15.e5 was best, when you played your move I was still trying to find a good way to handle it.

But even after 15.Bxf6 I think you should be ok if you play 16.cxd5. After this I was going to play Bg7. It looks like you have good compensation. However on my analysis it seemed hard for you to improve your position, and if I get my rooks active then I think I will take over the initiative. 18.e5 then d4 was an interesting try. I set a couple of engine games from this position, and the Black side often stuffed things up.

Thanks for the comments.

I looked quite hard at 15.e5 but after ...Ncd7 16.cxd5 leaves me with a rather bad isolated pawn while 16.d4 dxc4 and it looks to me like I have kingside pressure for a while but eventually going nowhere, and your pawn mass on the q-side is a bit worrying.

I had similar views about 16.cxd5 - it seemed probably OK but no better than that, and with some long-term risk.

18.e5 is interesting - I did look at it but not for long, and I don't remember why I didn't play it, except that at that stage I hadn't realised how much trouble I was getting into.

Move 21 was amusing. I thought you might play ...Be5 followed by ...Rd2 when I was basically forced into a massive sequence of exchanges leading into a knight ending that looked pretty lost. When you played ...Bxc3 I wondered if you'd missed that ... until I realised that this actually gave me not one forced most-likely-lost ending, but rather a wide range of options which each led to different most-likely-lost endings.

CC International Master
    I looked quite hard at 15.e5 but after ...Ncd7 16.cxd5 leaves me with a rather bad isolated pawn while 16.d4 dxc4 and it looks to me like I have kingside pressure for a while but eventually going nowhere, and your pawn mass on the q-side is a bit worrying.
    Aha now I remember analysing this. The computer seemed to always give white an advantage, regardless of what line I was looking at. And aside from that it was pretty confusing anyway. I think I wanted to make d4 work, but couldn't. Of the alternatives to d4, Ncd7 seems best. The line in my database is 15.Ncd7 16.d4 dc4 17.Qd2 Nh7 18.Rf2 h5 19. Raf1 Nb6 20.Ne4 Nd5 21.Nd6 Be6, which is a pretty confusing position and line.
    Move 21 was amusing. I thought you might play ...Be5 followed by ...Rd2 when I was basically forced into a massive sequence of exchanges leading into a knight ending that looked pretty lost. When you played ...Bxc3 I wondered if you'd missed that ... until I realised that this actually gave me not one forced most-likely-lost ending, but rather a wide range of options which each led to different most-likely-lost endings.
    I thought Be5 wasn't as forcing, but I didn't really look at it for very long since I was pretty convinced Bxc3 gave an overwhelming advantage.

Thread Information