View Poll Results: Religious Predilections

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theists (All religions, beliefs with commonly accepted deities)

16 41.03%
  • Fence-sitter (Dunno, Jury's out, Catch-all dribble bucket, Can I have another option)

4 10.26%
  • Atheist

19 48.72%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Last one from the site Mac posted earlier tonight.

So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I like the third-last panel of that cartoon, where the arms appear as devil horns.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I need an option for "beyond atheist".
    I've already suggested Christophobic misotheist

The critical issue is the being's ability to create deceptions at will.
    Ah, that explains your antitheistic posts

I suppose a vote from Jono is hardly necessary?
    Heh

You mean "devout"? But I'm not. I have come across "religious atheists" who worship Richard Dawkins or stage silly anti-Christian demonstrations that nobody cares less about, and who obsess themselves with their anti-Christianity, and I am not one of them.
    Definitely a point in your favour.

Generally, I really couldn't care. Unlike some so-called "devout atheists", I have no interest in harming Christianity at all, provided that it absolutely gets its filthy hands off (a) the State
    I.e. as long as it's totally underground so the public arena is left to the atheists?

and (b) all non-consenting underage persons.
    What, you'd remove children from Christian parents?

Of course, any time it takes even a cent of my money via the tax system, I reserve the right to destroy it.
    Hmm, as long as this goes both ways. Jefferson wrote:

That to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical; that even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness

CC Candidate Master
    You know Jono,Im still trying to figure out who is the biggest nut case..you or Axiom. Its a tough call.

You know Sam, who's the bigger nutcase, the nutcase or the one who engages alleged nutcase?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I.e. as long as it's totally underground so the public arena is left to the atheists?
    You may consider that something being prevented from misusing the State to propagate itself alone drives it "totally underground", but could any other posters holding such a bizarre and unsubstantiated view please identify themselves right now so I can decide whether to give it the time of day?

What, you'd remove children from Christian parents?
    I don't think a parent should be allowed to force a child to attend a religious service that that child objects to going to, that's for sure. If persistent enough I'd consider this grounds for the child to seek some kind of quasi-divorce from his/her parents, if so inclined. I'd also be very interested to see some scientific assessment of the impact of threats of hellfire from "Christians" of one of the many nuttier varieties on the mental wellbeing of (a) a child who has no views on anything to do with God or religion (b) an atheistically inclined child.

Equally I don't think an atheist parent should drag an obviously Christian child to a Richard Dawkins lecture against that child's will. But that's only because Dawkins is so secondrate and I would do the lecture so much better.

Hmm, as long as this goes both ways. Jefferson wrote:

That to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical; that even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness
    I don't believe the State should financially support atheism either.

However I expect the difference between "supporting atheism" and "refusing to support religion", and the difference between "supporting atheism" and "allowing the teaching of scientific facts inconsistent with some interpretations of some strands of religious belief" to both be lost on some readers.

I've already suggested Christophobic misotheist
    Bzzt. Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian, a vampire in Poppy Z. Brite's "Lost Souls"
    I have nothing against your Christ. I am sure his blood tasted as sweet as anyone else's
    I regard Christ rather as I do a number of modern lefties (for these purposes, I am not a leftie). I suspect he and Bob Brown would have got on quite superbly, whatever many Christians may think otherwise.

Do you think Nietzsche was "Christophobic"?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 22-04-2007 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    You know Sam, who's the bigger nutcase, the nutcase or the one who engages alleged nutcase?
    Jon, take solace in the fact that a quick visit to a shrink will cure your apparent problem, whereas I feel Sam's preponderance for
    1) anonymity, and
    2) shocking spelling is terminal - not to mention
    3) his limited contributions to this board - none of which
    4) have anything to do with chess

Why do I have the distinct impression,
    1) Sam is a hydra, and
    2) I know who he is!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I don't think Sam's a hydra let alone the one Howard may suspect.

Any more for any more?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

the poll is invalid as one can't vote as ones religious predeliction:

COFSO (Cult of Football [Strict Observance*])#

* ie we mean real football here not heresies

# slightly ripping off OCSO ie order of citeax strict observance aka cistercians

@GD
    Last edited by eclectic; 24-09-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Theists lead

My vote has just put the theists into the lead....
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I voted atheist, although I'm not a true/strict atheist (ie belief in the non-existence of deities), but more of a nontheist (ie an absence of belief in deities) or a skeptic.

However, matters of religion, metaphysics, etc etc are not something that I argue/debate/talk about, as they're not issues that weigh on my mind.
    "the other lefty"

Thread Information