View Poll Results: Religious Predilections

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theists (All religions, beliefs with commonly accepted deities)

16 41.03%
  • Fence-sitter (Dunno, Jury's out, Catch-all dribble bucket, Can I have another option)

4 10.26%
  • Atheist

19 48.72%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What are ya!? Poll on Religious Tendencies

OK let's gooooooooooooo with another survey as we probe our membership.
    Last edited by Basil; 06-04-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

We had 39 voters in the smoking poll (41 minus a couple of hydras/ clowns). It would be great if we could approach that number with this one.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    On the subject of religion questions, this is the ABS instructions on how to answer said question in the 2006 census

Quote Originally Posted by ABS
    HOW TO ANSWER

Q19 Answering this question is OPTIONAL.

If a person's religion is an Eastern Catholic religion such as Maronite Catholic, Melkite Catholic or Ukrainian Catholic, write the name of the religion in the ‘Other - please specify’ box.

People who have non-theistic religious beliefs or other life philosophies should write their response in the ‘Other - please specify’ box.

If a person identifies with no religion at all, mark ‘No religion’.
    The bit which caught my attention and influenced my answer was "other life philosophies."

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    The bit which caught my attention and influenced my answer was "other life philosophies."
    But you didn't vote!

I seriously hope this isn't because I couldn't get 'other life philosophies' on to the options, which I did try - character length 100 exceeded

When creating the poll, my intended delineation incidentally was the acknowledgement of a deity in the broad and generally accepted sense of the word. Whereas paying homage to an ageing tree stump, called Skye in Nimbin didn't really qualify as religion in my intended poll.

Caaarn, Aaron. Pick a box!

CC International Master
    I tend note to vote in online polls. Aside from my quirks I have good reason not to vote in this poll. I consider that "Is there a god?" to be both an unimportant and confusing (the concept and implications of a god) question.

It would seem inconsistent to think the question both confusing and unimportant but yet still answer the question. Denying the question means one can't answer it. The only option I would be inclined to give a tick to would be "Who cares?
    Last edited by Aaron Guthrie; 07-04-2007 at 12:41 AM.

I tend note to vote in online polls
    The plot thickens! Is this an unearthed poll question in itself?

Aside from my quirks
    I love a man who acknowledge his quirks! I stopped counting when I reached 100 (of them) although I keep tabs on all of them.

I have good reason not to vote in this poll
    OK, I'll respect that. What is it?

I consider that "Is there a god?" to be both an unimportant and confusing (the concept and implications of a god) question. It would seem inconsistent to think the question both confusing and unimportant but yet still answer the question.
    God (usage intended) I love this place!

Thanks for your answer, Aaron. I hope you're not insulted by mine (very happy to delete anything considered offensive). Certainly no intention. But given the topic at hand and our respective quirks, who the hell (usage intended) knows what could happen!
    Last edited by Basil; 07-04-2007 at 12:53 AM.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    The plot thickens! Is this an unearthed poll question in itself?
    "Does Mangafranga vote in online polls?" might be good for a trivia question, but I don't think it is good for a poll question.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Thanks for your answer, Aaron. I hope you're not insulted by mine (very happy to delete anything considered offensive).
    No, and not sure why I would be.

I added a bit to my last post just before you replied btw.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Wording of option 1 changed slightly at the thread starter's request. Please PM me if you want to change your vote as a result of this wording change.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I need an option for "beyond atheist".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I need an option for "beyond atheist".
    Would "areligiously fervent, dyed-in-the-wool, mega-atheist" suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Would "areligiously fervent, dyed-in-the-wool, mega-atheist" suffice?
    Actually not quite. For starters I'm really not that fervent about it and don't devote that much energy to it except for the odd debate/flamewar on here and elsewhere - it just happens to be the way of things that the concept of existence contains empirical undertones incompatible with the concept of an all-powerful God, and hence that nearly all of Christianity is guilty of a category error. I'm not sure if there really is a label for this view.

How about devote atheist?

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    comitted atheist?

You mean "devout"? But I'm not. I have come across "religious atheists" who worship Richard Dawkins or stage silly anti-Christian demonstrations that nobody cares less about, and who obsess themselves with their anti-Christianity, and I am not one of them. Generally, I really couldn't care. Unlike some so-called "devout atheists", I have no interest in harming Christianity at all, provided that it absolutely gets its filthy hands off (a) the State and (b) all non-consenting underage persons. Of course, any time it takes even a cent of my money via the tax system, I reserve the right to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Actually not quite. For starters I'm really not that fervent about it and don't devote that much energy to it except for the odd debate/flamewar on here and elsewhere - it just happens to be the way of things that the concept of existence contains empirical undertones incompatible with the concept of an all-powerful God, and hence that nearly all of Christianity is guilty of a category error. I'm not sure if there really is a label for this view.
    So you hold the view that the existence of all gods can be disproved empirically? Perhaps an affirmative atheist.

My position is more one of "well there is no evidence for supernatural, spiritual or religious experience and I refuse to accept it on faith alone". This is what I call the fairies-at-the-end-of-the-garden position. Perhaps they do exist, but I'm going to need more than fanciful stories to be convinced.

Actually my position is a bit stronger than this for existent religions I've looked at, as they they are invariably flawed and most contain components which I find morally objectionable which leads me to think they cannot be divinely inspired. But I don't discount the possibility of a new religion (maybe just new to me) which might really be the one true religion.

Thread Information