View Poll Results: On Good Friday:

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Christian and will be abstaining from meat.

1 14.29%
  • I am a Christian and will NOT be abstaining from meat.

0 0%
  • I am a NOT a Christian and will be abstaining from meat.

0 0%
  • I am NOT a Christian and will be NOT abstaining from meat.

6 85.71%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Friday

Good Friday

Interested in your meat-eating habits on this particular day.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Interested in your meat-eating habits on this particular day.
    Would have voted for "I am a Christian and will NOT be abstaining from meat."
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

For years I did not eat meat on Fridays, and the Lebo custom is not to eat meat three days a week. But being a Catholic there is a great contradiction. We are supposed to believe that the communion host becomes the body and blood of Christ i.e., meat - and yet we consumed it on Friday!!! You work that one out Jono.

And as a health fanatic does the wafer become genetically modified when turning in the body and blood of Christ?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    For years I did not eat meat on Fridays, and the Lebo custom is not to eat meat three days a week. But being a Catholic there is a great contradiction. We are supposed to believe that the communion host becomes the body and blood of Christ i.e., meat - and yet we consumed it on Friday!!! You work that one out Jono.

And as a health fanatic does the wafer become genetically modified when turning in the body and blood of Christ?
    As far as I know only Catholics put much store in the whole transubstantiation so your ribbing is waaay off if you are looking for a rise from almost all the outspoken Christians here.

Regarding the not eating meat, it isn't a hard rule, don't eat meat without reason, it was a mark of respect and obviously doesn't apply to the sacrament of communion regardless of your position on transubstantiation.

Regarding the genetics, transubstantiation is a dogma and not open to scientific enquiry.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    As far as I know only Catholics put much store in the whole transubstantiation so your ribbing is waaay off if you are looking for a rise from almost all the outspoken Christians here.

Regarding the not eating meat, it isn't a hard rule, don't eat meat without reason, it was a mark of respect and obviously doesn't apply to the sacrament of communion regardless of your position on transubstantiation.

Regarding the genetics, transubstantiation is a dogma and not open to scientific enquiry.
    But your response is only 20th century relativism. A few hundred years ago Catholics would accuse Jews of stabbing the host (the child Jesus) and the host would cry and bleed - this would set off a pogrom.

So it all depends on time and place as to how these aspects are treated.

And eating meat was certainly a hard rule in my school. Sister Mary Michael of the Sacred Heart Convent School promised us we would burn in Hell if we ate meat on Friday. No dilly dalliness in those days.

But your response is only 20th century relativism. A few hundred years ago Catholics would accuse Jews of stabbing the host (the child Jesus) and the host would cry and bleed - this would set off a pogrom.
    Not so: as the book The Myth of Hitler's Pope by Rabbi Dr David Dalin documents, the medieval popes denounced this "blood libel" and "host desecration libel". Pope Gregory the Great's Sicut Judaeis ("As for the Jews") explicitly forbade vilification of the Jews and affirmed their property rights. Pope Callixtus V condemned physical attacks on the Jews, forced conversions, and destruction of the synagogues, and promised to defend them. Pope Gregory X declared that any testimony against the Jews without a Jewish witness was invalid. Pope Clement VI issued a bill absolving Jews for any blame for the Plague, and urged bishops, priests and monks to take Jews under their protection. Later popes had Jewish physicians, including Joseph Sarfati (d. 1577), personal physician and medical adviser to Pope Clement VII, considered by the Jews as a "favourer of Israel"; his father Samuel Sarfati had successfully treated a serious illness of Pope Julius II. Pope Sixtus IV quashed the vile rumour that Jews had drained the blood of a Christian child to mix with their unleavened bread (the "blood libel", stupid on the face of it since Jews abstain from blood). Alexander IV (Borgia) sheltered Jews who fled from the Spanish and Portuguese inquisitions. Leo X treated Jews so well that they thought that it presaged messianic times. Pope Clement XIV wrote one of the most comprehensive refutations of the "blood libel". Pope Leo XIII, quite a strong chessplayer, defended the Jews in general and Captain Dreyfus in particular.

So it all depends on time and place as to how these aspects are treated.

And eating meat was certainly a hard rule in my school. Sister Mary Michael of the Sacred Heart Convent School promised us we would burn in Hell if we ate meat on Friday. No dilly dalliness in those days.
    Who cares about superstitious nuns? They are more legalistic than the church requires.

In any case, as RW says, many Christians (including me) don't accept transubtantiation, so the point is irrelevant.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Jono, am very busy these days but will get back next week

Anyone want to guess what they call the day after Good Friday in South Australia? "The Day After Good Friday". I kid you not. Fine name for a holiday if you ask me.

http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2483
    meep meep

Anyone want to guess what they call the day after Good Friday in South Australia? "The Day After Good Friday". I kid you not. Fine name for a holiday if you ask me.

Makes sense. BTW although that sites says that it is commonly referred to as Easter Saturday, according to Wikipedia (and I'm inclined to agree), it is incorrect to do so. Easter Saturday is the Saturday of Easter Week which starts on Easter Sunday. A more correct name is Holy Saturday or simply The Day After Good Friday.

The good news is next year we have a 5 day Easter holiday because Easter Monday falls on ANZAC day and thus Easter Tuesday has been proclaimed a public holiday.

What's wrong with Easter Saturday?
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    The good news is next year we have a 5 day Easter holiday because Easter Monday falls on ANZAC day and thus Easter Tuesday has been proclaimed a public holiday.
    I'd like to say "you beauties" but in Qld it seems it is not necessarily going to happen:

link

^ The Queensland Government is currently considering whether a substituted public holiday should be appointed for either Easter Monday or Anzac Day 2011.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Nothing, I was being facetious.
    meep meep

I'd like to say "you beauties" but in Qld it seems it is not necessarily going to happen:

link

^ The Queensland Government is currently considering whether a substituted public holiday should be appointed for either Easter Monday or Anzac Day 2011.
    I contacted the relevant government authorities attempting to try and confirm whether the Tuesday will be a public holiday and they said a decision would be made in a month or so. That was a month ago though

Will ACT be observing a Tuesday public holiday as that could change the dates and structure of Doeberl?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Easter Saturday is the Saturday of Easter Week, that is the Saturday AFTER Easter Sunday. The Saturday before Easter Sunday is Holy Saturday.

Victorians call it "The Saturday before Easter Sunday"
    meep meep

Thread Information