Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

half borrowing that new testament brevity (winks at matt ...)...

eclectic wept.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by adelaideuni
    My problem is more with the state of certain people in chess who are a biproduct of the tall poppy syndrome and try to cut people that are well intended and trying to help (ie George) down.
    Some of the ill-will had it's roots in George's own failure to communicate with people from the beginning of the process, well before the apparent stresses took over. I don't think it's appropriate to absolve him of all responsibility.

My problem is with people who send hate mail to George etc. My problem is with people who dont care about George's health.
    Agreed. All depends on what was actually classified as hate mail. I have not emailed George myself since well before Mt Buller - at which stage I still thought I was "helpful" but he felt it necessary to consign my enquiries & offers to the crapper.

My problem is with the fact that this bulletin board spent ages talking about what George didnt do and now that he has written a letter of apology to the chess community there isnt any word about it on here (or atleastt not from what i can see).
    I think the most charitable thing that has happened since George published his apology is that we have all (almost) ignored it. The issue has been allowed to rest as people await what he promises.

I found it sincere. I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his current intentions but I'm not suddenly going to change my view of how he (& others) conducted themselves over the event or for the need for people to properly account for financial matters.

Account Suspended
    Thanks Libby. I agree with all your thoughts.

Dont get me wrong-George is responsible and must pay.

Cheers!
    Alex.

Who let the dogs out

I really think it is high time that people laid off criticism of George Howard.

I have already famously called much of it uninformed and irresponsible and yet it continues.

I know from contact with George confirmed by another source that George's post-Mt Buller disappearance was for good reasons that I am not prepared to canvass on this BB.

Moreover George has now not only written a letter of apology published in the appropriate place - the ACF Newsletter - but also has made arrangements for payment to the ACF of all the moneys in dispute. And it should be noted that, thanks to some characteristic junior chess ploying, the ACF stands to make a profit of $4000 from the Mt Buller events.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

I kind of agree with Denis. George has apologised, he is going to pay the money. It is time to let the past go. He did a huge amount of work and made a lot of mistakes, but so do we all. I think anyone who heard me turning the air blue after a run in with George on the last day, would know I wasn't happy with some of the things that happened. On the other hand the schools comp and Juniors were quite successful and enjoyable comps.

I am a big fan of apology and forgiveness and pretty anti holding grudges. (particularly when the money is paid. )

The reason there is a constant line coming out of SA chess that George disappered from the scene is believe it or not because it is true!! How weird is that. I tried on many occasions to call him and emailed him but in both situations he didnt respond to my emails and messages. As far as i was concerned he was uncontactable. He did not come along to meetings until late last year and the first time i saw him for a long while was at the SACA AGM a few Sundays ago.
    My observation was that he was slowly working into things in the second half of the year. I saw him at interclub a few times (August-September I think it was) - organising but not playing (is that a crime?). I found him approachable and was able to ask about him about the Mt. Buller CDs.

It seems there was a screwup over the CDs, and he's agreed to pay the $4k, so let's take it in good faith. While I don't doubt that some of the Mt. Buller problems were due to George, let us apply the adage, "Never ascribe to malice what you can ascribe to incompetence", or however it goes.
    http://www.peterballard.org

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I too am glad that George has apologised and am willing to wait and see how he goes about compensating the chess community before I make any judgement. However, you can only judge someone based on their actions and so far he has not taken any action (ie repaid the ACF any money) as far as I know. I don't think it is a good political move for the ACF to be singing his praises until we see some results. Let's hope George was sincere about everything he stated in his letter.

Account Suspended
    Hi all,

Just to let you know, George is getting a lot of the 'bits and pieces' payments out of the way.

I can announce that Karthick has been fully reimbursed for his website work. Some of you may critisise the order of payment but i think its important for him that he takes small steps and does one bit at a time. The $4000 junior development fund will be the final thing he pays off.

My following comments do not refer to anyone posting in this thread.

I am not going to harp on about this but i gave many of you a warning back in February 2005 about this when i could see George wasnt doing so well. See below

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....aded#post45251

and yet many of you continued on and on relentlessly. You know who you are. You were rude and un-Australian.

In many ways, some of you shot yourselves in the foot. The very thing you were going on about was never going to be achieved because you kept going on about it!! You needed to give him space and you didnt.

I am not trying to criticise anyone at a personal level but be very careful in future should this situation arise.

Cheers,
    Alex.

CC Grandmaster
    Trevor Tao has won the SA championships with a round to go after moving to 7/8 after a forfeit win over bottom seed Matthew Juszczynski. Juszczynski was apparently moving house but failed to inform the arbiters so other arrangements could be made. Alan Goldsmith with was in second lost to James Obst last night and is now tied with Obst, Srbo Zaric and Bob Cowley on 5.5/8. Zaric beat Edgar Mdinaradze, Cowley beat Tristan Stevens and Aaron Guthrie beat John Riches in the other games last night.
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Last night saw the last round of the SA championships and although the winner was decided it still saw a fight for second place and the upset of the tournament. Edgar Mdinaradze upset the Trevor Tao after being forced to defend for most of the game. Mdinaradze whose fighting qualities have been on show for the whole tournament finally bore fruit. He was forced to defend as black from the start of the game as Tao gained a good position, but he did accurately and managed just to keep his position together to reach a drawn endgame, but Tao then gifted him the victory with a shocking blunder.
    Second place was shared by Srbo Zaric and James Obst who beat Bob Cowley and John Riches respectively. Tristan Stevens upset Alan Goldsmith and Aaron Guthrie beat Matthew Juszczynski in the other two games.

There will be two Allegro tournaments on the next 2 Tuesday nights followed by the start of interclub on the 2nd of May.

Scott

CC Grandmaster
    The Queens Birthday weekender play on last Saturday and Sunday was won by Srbo Zaric on 5.5/6 ahead of Glen Gibbs on 5/6. Gibbs and Zaric drew their game.

The Interclub competition is currently underway and the Adelaide team of Bob Cowley, Andrew Saint, Adam Takos and Andrew Short were dominating the competition with 20.5 points after six rounds, 4.5 points ahead of Matisons. The seventh round was played last night but I don't have the results.

Scott

CC Grandmaster
    The State juniors were held in the chess center over the last 2 days. James Griggs won the championship with 6.5/8. The other titles were,
    U16 Fedja Zulfic 6
    U15 Malcolm Borg 6
    U14 Sophie Eustace 6
    U13 Calvin Fong

The seperate U12 championship was won by Alaistair Cameron with Katrina Knapp second. The U11 prize was won by Natalia Bortsova and the U10 by Lachlan Cameron. Natalia Bortsova has recently moved to SA with her family from Russia and turned 9 earlier this month.
    Scott

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    The State juniors were held in the chess center over the last 2 days. James Griggs won the championship with 6.5/8. The other titles were,
    U16 Fedja Zulfic 6
    U15 Malcolm Borg 6
    U14 Sophie Eustace 6
    U13 Calvin Fong

The seperate U12 championship was won by Alaistair Cameron with Katrina Knapp second. The U11 prize was won by Natalia Bortsova and the U10 by Lachlan Cameron. Natalia Bortsova has recently moved to SA with her family from Russia and turned 9 earlier this month.
    Scott

Would of been interesting is James Obst was to play

CC Grandmaster
    The City of Adelaide Minor and Major was completed on Tuesday night

Srbo Zaric won the major with an unbeaten 6/7 ahead of Bob Cowley on 4.5/7 with Aaron Guthrie and Ralph Jackson on 4/7.

The Minor was won by junior Fedja Zulfic with 5.5/7, I believe he too was unbeaten. Gavin Haydn and Erik Staak finished equal second.

Next Tuesday see the start of the Penant Interclub season.

Scott

CC Grandmaster
    FM Aaron Guthrie won the SACA Labour Day weekender comfortably with 7/7 ahead of a disappointing field of 13, although the fact 5 of them were females was promising.

The Penant season will finish next week. Adelaide is leading both the A and B grade with a round to go. In the B grade it has been very pleasing to have the Girls Power team playing, with team members Sophie Eustace, Katrina Knapp, Natalia Bortsova and Elee Mayo. 9 year old Natalia has partically impressed scoring 3.5/5 including wins over State junior champion James Griggs and last night over Mike Beltsos rated 1256. I will be playing her next week and I am expecting a very tough game.

The state girls championship will be played this Friday and will be quite an open tournament although it will be missing Sophie Eustace who is at Ergas.

After the Penant season finishes next week there will be rapid tournament held on the 17th and 24th followed by the state blitz championship on the 31st.

Scott

Thread Information