Page 4 of 129 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Closest I could find is a Swiss player called "D. Koestinger" with a rating of around 2200. No "Koetsier" is on the list, or any Dutch David with a remotely similar surname.

Pax
    Hi Pax,
    In the latest Dutch Chess Federation (KNSB) rating list, D.Koetsier has a rating of 1839 (http://www.schaakbond.nl/. My experience is that this Dutch rating compares to about 1700 Australian rating.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 04-03-2006 at 04:22 PM. Reason: url link corrected

CC Grandmaster

SAJCL Committee

The SAJCL held its AGM on Wednesday night. This saw the election of the following committee.

President : Alan Goldsmith
    Deputy President: Micahael Peake
    Vice President: George Howard
    Secretary: Alex Saint
    Treasurer: Rita McKechnie

The SA Minister of Youth (amongst other things) the Honorable Stephanie Key has become the Patron of the SAJCL, thanks to George Howard.

Scott

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    A forgiving bunch these South Australians. After avoiding any attempts by the rest of us to get the South Australian chess community to pressure George into doing the right thing re Mt Buller, they go and elect him to the Junior Chess League Council. Unless of course there are 2 George Howards, but what would be the chances of that?

BTW whats happening to the SA CA website www.sachess.org.
    It has been unavaiable for over a week.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 05-03-2006 at 08:40 AM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Account Suspended
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for pointing this out. I should have done so last week.

We are changing web hosts. We still have control over the domain name.
    Last edited by adelaideuni; 04-03-2006 at 11:20 PM.

The SAJCL held its AGM on Wednesday night. This saw the election of the following committee.

The SA Minister of Youth (amongst other things) the Honorable Stephanie Key has become the Patron of the SAJCL, thanks to George Howard.

Scott
    Interesting, SAJCL now runs the internet chess competition and then George Howard is admitted to junior council. This would then mean that George has a say in the running of another acf event, just over 12 months after the mt buller events concluded play and with issues still outstanding

I wonder what the positions are now of all the people who have frothed at the mouth over the repercussions of mt buller?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    A forgiving bunch these South Australians. After avoiding any attempts by the rest of us to get the South Australian chess community to pressure George into doing the right thing re Mt Buller, they go and elect him to the Junior Chess League Council. Unless of course there are 2 George Howards, but what would be the chances of that?
    Shaun. I was not at the AGM, although I was elected to a position in my absence subject to my agreeing to take it up. I doubt alot of the people, teachers from schools and the like would be aware of the Mt Buller fiasco. On top of that George was involved in junior chess, doing a bit of coaching and help at least on school put there teams into the interschool competition. I don't know this but I also suspect he was the only candidate for the position.
    There is also the very recent history of the SAJCL to consider. The SAJCL has existed offically as a subcommitee of SACA for a number of years. It has recently become an incorporated body and the AGM was the first meeting of the new body. George managed to arrange for a patron for the SAJCL in very quick time so I guess he deserves some credit for that. What actual benefit the SAJCL will recieve from the arrangement I have no idea.
    He has also apologised for what happened at Mt Buller and is going to try and fix it up as much as possible.
    As for the responsibilities George Howard on the SAJCL, I have no idea, I am very busy with non chess stuff at the moment but will be finding out after this weekend.
    Scott

CC FIDE Master
    Shaun. I was not at the AGM, although I was elected to a position in my absence subject to my agreeing to take it up. I doubt alot of the people, teachers from schools and the like would be aware of the Mt Buller fiasco. On top of that George was involved in junior chess, doing a bit of coaching and help at least on school put there teams into the interschool competition. I don't know this but I also suspect he was the only candidate for the position.
    There is also the very recent history of the SAJCL to consider. The SAJCL has existed offically as a subcommitee of SACA for a number of years. It has recently become an incorporated body and the AGM was the first meeting of the new body. George managed to arrange for a patron for the SAJCL in very quick time so I guess he deserves some credit for that. What actual benefit the SAJCL will recieve from the arrangement I have no idea.
    He has also apologised for what happened at Mt Buller and is going to try and fix it up as much as possible.
    As for the responsibilities George Howard on the SAJCL, I have no idea, I am very busy with non chess stuff at the moment but will be finding out after this weekend.
    Scott
    My point wasn't that Geoge shouldn't be elected to the SAJCL, as much it was about the constant line coming out of SA chess that George had dissapeared from the scene, and as a consequence getting the SA chess community to confront him about the Mt Buller fiasco would be a waste of time. Clearly he hadn't dissapeared, and even now there appears to be no indication that his fellow office bearers will apply any pressure if he fails to come through with his promises.

CC Grandmaster
    My point wasn't that Geoge shouldn't be elected to the SAJCL, as much it was about the constant line coming out of SA chess that George had dissapeared from the scene, and as a consequence getting the SA chess community to confront him about the Mt Buller fiasco would be a waste of time. Clearly he hadn't dissapeared, and even now there appears to be no indication that his fellow office bearers will apply any pressure if he fails to come through with his promises.
    Shaun, George had largely disappeared from the scene. Before Mt Buller he was president of SACA and the ACF. After Mt Buller he really held a couple of positions in name only as far as I could see. A fairly big reduction in what he was doing.
    As far as being put under pressure from people in SA chess, I think you are wrong on that point.
    Scott

Shaun, George had largely disappeared from the scene. Before Mt Buller he was president of SACA and the ACF. After Mt Buller he really held a couple of positions in name only as far as I could see. A fairly big reduction in what he was doing.
    As far as being put under pressure from people in SA chess, I think you are wrong on that point.
    Scott
    Sorry Scott,

But the answers need to come straight from the current committee people themselves ie these people. Answers from anyone else is unacceptable.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Sorry Scott,

But the answers need to come straight from the current committee people themselves ie these people. Answers from anyone else is unacceptable.

Garvin. I am currently a committee member of the SAJCL. There are other positions on the SAJCL committee I didn't list, primary school coordinator, secondary school coordinator and data entry coordinator. I was elected to the position of data entry coordinator at the AGM, so I am on the committee at least at the moment. I am not sure whether I will be able to undertake the position for long though. I also hold a position, although extremely minor, on the internet chess committee.
    Scott
    Scott

Account Suspended
    Ok Shaun i dont quite agree with your analysis here.

Why shouldnt he be a part of the SAJCL? He never has not done anything wrong with junior chess in SA. From where i stand, he made some mistakes and now he is fixing them.

My problem is more with the state of certain people in chess who are a biproduct of the tall poppy syndrome and try to cut people that are well intended and trying to help (ie George) down.

My problem is with people who send hate mail to George etc. My problem is with people who dont care about George's health.

My problem is with the fact that this bulletin board spent ages talking about what George didnt do and now that he has written a letter of apology to the chess community there isnt any word about it on here (or atleastt not from what i can see).

The reason there is a constant line coming out of SA chess that George disappered from the scene is believe it or not because it is true!! How weird is that. I tried on many occasions to call him and emailed him but in both situations he didnt respond to my emails and messages. As far as i was concerned he was uncontactable. He did not come along to meetings until late last year and the first time i saw him for a long while was at the SACA AGM a few Sundays ago.

Clearly he hadn't dissapeared, and even now there appears to be no indication that his fellow office bearers will apply any pressure if he fails to come through with his promises.
    Careful Shaun with your statements. You are not in a position to make this kind of call. Again i said he had disappeared and i meant it. I informed Denis about this a long time ago and Tristrom Cooke (SA delegate) knew about this. A comment like this is actually quite concerning considering you don't know the full picture.

Your final comment about not applying pressure is also a bit silly-speak to ACF about that one. Im not saying anything on here about that.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Interesting, SAJCL now runs the internet chess competition and then George Howard is admitted to junior council. This would then mean that George has a say in the running of another acf event, just over 12 months after the mt buller events concluded play and with issues still outstanding

I wonder what the positions are now of all the people who have frothed at the mouth over the repercussions of mt buller?
    This is just being paranoid. Dont be ridiculous.

George wants to VOLUNTEER his time to help out SAJCL and quite frankly, we would love his help. There was nobody else for that position. He has no say in our internet competition which is being run by Knights and Bytes with help from SAJCL (ie Robin Wedding etc) to accomodate adult matches requested by people such as yourself. Knights and Bytes includes Alan Goldsmith, Scott Colliver, myself, IM Mark Chapman, FM Aaron Guthrie etc

I think you all just need to go and hire a good DVD tonight and just relax.

Dont worry the world is not coming to an end.

Breathe in, and out. In and out...

Kind regards,
    Alex.
    Last edited by adelaideuni; 07-03-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adelaideuni
    This is just being paranoid. Dont be ridiculous.

George wants to VOLUNTEER his time to help out SAJCL and quite frankly, we would love his help. There was nobody else for that position. He has no say in our internet competition which is being run by Knights and Bytes with help from SAJCL (ie Robin Wedding etc) to accomodate adult matches requested by people such as yourself. Knights and Bytes includes Alan Goldsmith, Scott Colliver, myself, IM Mark Chapman, FM Aaron Guthrie etc

I think you all just need to go and hire a good DVD tonight and just relax.

Dont worry the world is not coming to an end.

Breathe in, and out. In and out...

Kind regards,
    Alex.
    Yes you're right Alex. In fact I hope Pope Benedict takes my letter recommending George for canonisation seriously. I can think of no greater Australian. Hopefully he can become Australia's first saint ahead of Mary Mackillop. Of course, a few miracles like the appearance of some Mt Buller CDs or $4000 junior development fund would do his cause no harm.

Kind regards,
    Barry
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Account Suspended
    If you had any empathy for what he went through last year, you wouldnt be making comments like that.

Thats fine, get a few laughs but if you were in his position, trust me you would not be laughing.

He has made a written apology and payments are on the way.

So just watch the dvd...

Thread Information