MCC Blitz Tournament

MCC BLITZ TOURNAMENT

Every Tuesday 7:15pm
    $5 members; $10 non-members; GMs free
    Format depends on numbers.
    95% of entries paid out in prizes

"Be quick or be dead!!"

CC Grandmaster
    According to the MCC Facebook page, yesterday's tournament had 9 players participating with Kolak and Partsi finishing 1st equal
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    yes they finished a half point in front of me.

Partsi lost to Kolak but won all other games.

Kolak got to draws.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    yes they finished a half point in front of me.

Partsi lost to Kolak but won all other games.

Kolak got to draws.
    Whom did Kolak draw with? sounds like it was a fairly strong event

CC Candidate Master
    Kolak drew with me and Jordan

I had K+Q against K+B against Kolak but only had 4 sec. left and couldn"t convert.

Jordan was put off by alot of noise during tournement people talking and mobiles going off and lost to Partsi and me.

CC Grandmaster
    sounds like a strong field...hopefully more participants next time around.

CC Candidate Master
    Blitz is on again this Tuesday night 7:15 at MCC.

The first 2 weeks of Tuesday night blitz have been great with the winner of the first week drawing with a GM the following night in a tournament game.

CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar
    So we're all on the same page for next week:

1. We'll use the official FIDE rules, so Andrew's pawn and knight VS Bill's many pieces and no time will be a win for Andrew.

2. Illegal moves can't be claimed long after they've happened. If an illegal moves is made (e.g. Tom V Michael), the clock is stopped, the arbiter (me or whoever else is chosen before we start) is called, if they're playing their game they pause the clock, a ruling is made and the ruling is accepted.

3. Zlatko's wife's attempt to call him 17 times in one game will result in a loss for Zlatko, but not for Zlatko's wife who will get to speak to her husband.

Agreed?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cavezza View Post

1. We'll use the official FIDE rules, so Andrew's pawn and knight VS Bill's many pieces and no time will be a win for Andrew.

2. Illegal moves can't be claimed long after they've happened. If an illegal moves is made (e.g. Tom V Michael), the clock is stopped, the arbiter (me or whoever else is chosen before we start) is called, if they're playing their game they pause the clock, a ruling is made and the ruling is accepted.

3. Zlatko's wife's attempt to call him 17 times in one game will result in a loss for Zlatko, but not for Zlatko's wife who will get to speak to her husband.

Agreed?
    Re 2: There was no illegal move played on the board - there was a perfectly legal move played....then Tom has taken his hand off the piece...but claimed there were no witnesses.

CC Grandmaster
    This is not a controversy but disgraceful behaviour by the long-standing MCC member. Hand goes off the piece...then he puts the piece on another square...where is the controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    This is not a controversy but disgraceful behaviour by the long-standing MCC member. Hand goes off the piece...then he puts the piece on another square...where is the controversy?
    Right but you would be claiming a win based on an illegal action, which needsnto be done right afterwards. I'm happy to pause my game and arbit when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cavezza View Post

Agreed?
    I love Rule 3!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Differing views on the Facebook chat thread! Maybe a vote before next week is in order.

CC Candidate Master
    By the way the results were 1st Jack Puccini
    2nd Micheal Baron
    3rd Leo Nguyen

It was great to see the interest in are blitz after just 3 weeks and it was interesting even before tournament starting with a very strong field entering including 3 masters. then we argued about how many rounds and decided on ten. then there was trouble running the computer.

During the tournament there was some misunderstandings with touch move rule, players should know to stop the clock to call arbiter to make ruling and explain the rules. Player said he was clearly winning even if touch move was forced.

Then i claim win on time with King and Knight against many pieces but arbiters make wrong ruling and call game draw i am the one that should be upset.

Also some people saying it is unfair to give rating prize to people in lower half of draw because ratings often don't mean much in blitz.

Still i enjoyed every minute of it and i can't wait until next Tuesday.

Thread Information