Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    ... I caught sight of my reflection in a window nearby and realised I was dressed as Darth Vader.
    Do you mean complete with the light stick???
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Last night I dreamt I was playing a tournament game with Black against former Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer. I was in some trouble in this game when I suddenly spied a neat line that would liquidate into a rook and two pawns vs rook and two pawns ending (doubtless inspired by this thread). I was pleased about this as it was well known on the tournament circuit that Downer wasn't very good at endgames.

I promptly bashed out the moves in this line only to find that Downer had cheated somewhere along the line by playing Pg2-g3 when it was not his move. The point of this cheating was that when I played a particular rook check, Downer could respond Kg2 followed by Kf3, saving his e-pawn which would otherwise have dropped to a rook move (his rook could not reach any square protecting it.) This meant that Downer would emerge with rook and three pawns against rook and two, unless I could prove he had cheated. Unfortunately I was low on time and had not been scoring for many moves.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 07-11-2010 at 05:16 PM.

I once dreamed of playing chess with Obamov, who turned out to be a fair match.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Last night I dreamt I was playing a tournament game with Black against former Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer. I was in some trouble in this game when I suddenly spied a neat line that would liquidate into a rook and two pawns vs rook and two pawns ending (doubtless inspired by this thread). I was pleased about this as it was well known on the tournament circuit that Downer wasn't very good at endgames.

I promptly bashed out the moves in this line only to find that Downer had cheated somewhere along the line by playing Pg2-g3 when it was not his move. The point of this cheating was that when I played a particular rook check, Downer could respond Kg2 followed by Kf3, saving his e-pawn which would otherwise have dropped to a rook move (his rook could not reach any square protecting it.) This meant that Downer would emerge with rook and three pawns against rook and two, unless I could prove he had cheated. Unfortunately I was low on time and had not been scoring for many moves.
    I have never heard of Downer being a chessplayer - but he is known for dressing like a queen, no joking, in fishnet stockings etc

Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against or even an utter novice. Usually this will involve my time simply running away while I sit there powerless to prevent it, copious cheating by my opponent and an illegally large number of opposing pawns parked menacingly on my third rank.

However a few nights ago my alter-ego enjoyed a form reversal and managed a draw against Peter Leko. I don't remember the exact position but we had castled opposite sides and Leko (Black) had an enormous q-side attack but his Q was parked on h5 and I had a lot of pressure piled up on the g-file, but no actual winning threats. Leko missed that I had a Nxf4 hitting his queen and threatening to take it then sac for a draw before he could checkmate me. He played ...Qd1+ giving up his Q to capture by some minor piece and disrupting my q-side defences, but only had enough attack to force a perpetual with the single tempo left before I forced one myself.

Leko was disgusted by this result and stormed off (I think this bit was inspired by reading about one of Theos Rippis' opponents doing that in the Asian Cities). Leko was even less impressed when he learned that a movie producer intended to use the game in a chess scene in a major blockbuster, thus exposing to the world at large how he had conceded a draw to such a bunny. He even sent a hired thug after me with the object of forcing me to surrender all records of the game so that it would be as if it had never happened. I was telling the thug not to bother, the game was already all over in the internet and published in Australian Chess, there was no way it could possibly be disposed of. Then I woke up.
    I dream about chess, ALOT! Even though I only started playing about a week ago. almost every night I have had a dream about beating my opponent. In one of my dreams, my rating was 2500 and I lost against a 1500, but in the other ones my rating was very low... around 500, and I somehow managed to beat the higher up ratings. (100, 1250, 1600, all the way up to 2000) But, my rating would never change from 500 when I beat someone, which really frustrated me... I would usually have several matches in my dream - all repetitive... I think chess is kinda taking over me, too... I can't stop day dreaming about it when I am awake, too... Which distracts me from things...

Live your life and make mistakes. Don't regret them, they make you who you are.

Wink

according to a book, this is what your conscience is trying to tell you:
    "
    To dream of playing chess denotes the need for careful thought in a business or financial matter.
    Losing chess indicates confusion, lack in direction, and unable to make clear decisions. Slow down and don't act until you get your bearings right. Pay attention to anyone who comes along and offers assistance. It may help you get back on track.
    Winning at chess indicates future success. You will soon invest in something that will complete your whole life. A white light surrounds your soul, and it has been there the whole time. You may have never seen it because you haven't been looking hard enough. It has found you, and you will be rewarded. "

NICE, KEVIN!!

could it happen,

Could sproutys dream last nite when ems fell asleep at the keyboard come true. Could in the not to distant future show up here at chesschats and find Axioms & eclectics back in good outstanding order here at chesschats.

-Sprout85 =)
    ChessChat's Break0ut High Score Champion - 02/02/2012
    ChessChat's Space Invaders High Score Champion - 09/24/2012
    ChessChat's Moon Lander High Score Champion - 10/07/2012
    ChessChat's Asteroids High Score Champion - 10/19/2012

ChessChat's Current Reigning King of the Arcade since 10/07/2012

Sprout:
    What dream did you have at the keyboard, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprout85
    Could sproutys dream last nite when ems fell asleep at the keyboard come true. Could in the not to distant future show up here at chesschats and find Axioms & eclectics back in good outstanding order here at chesschats.
    In view of his past offences including using other people's accounts while banned, Axiom won't be back here while he remains anonymous.

eclectic hasn't posted for a year and a half but is still online now and then, including last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I once dreamed of playing chess with Obamov, who turned out to be a fair match.
    He over-extended on the queenside so you countered by tripling on the h-file - right?

Lest people fear for my sanity, I should say that I don't often have dreams about chess forums. But last night I dreamt that the owner of the other place wanted some information from me. "Well Alex" I said "if you want that you're just going to have to pay the price. Firstly you must stop lying, and secondly you must give me a permanent admin account on your forum so I can remove all the defamation from it."

Alex responded by saying he would have to consult his lawyers to find out if there was really defamation on his forum, and would charge the costs of doing so to me. I told him this was not acceptable but he persisted. Fortunately for me it now transpired that the site of this discussion was a house I used to live in. I told Alex's lawyers, all six of them, that they would have to leave. They refused. I went outside and it just happened that a few Tasmania Police cars were passing. I had a quick word to them and all Alex's lawyers were arrested for trespass and led away. I told them they may as well arrest Alex too while they were there, and after a very brief summary from me of what he was like, Alex was also arrested.

Lol

What's worse than dreaming you have beaten a strong player convincingly only to wake up and find it was a dream? Not being able to reconstruct the game, of course!

Last night I dreamt that I was playing (one of Tasmania's strongest players) in round one of a seven round swiss (go figure!) However the game was both a game and a bus trip through some hills above what later proved to be Adelaide. Thus, while the chess game was some kind of peculiar Caro-Kann where Black fiddles around a lot with knights and both sides essentially lose a move compared to some other line, the bus was going up over the skyline somewhere around move 5, causing me to say "I like this line, it's fun", when this feeling was actually more likely prompted by the bus ride.

At a certain point the road on the skyline had a vertical jump on it, causing the bus to shoot up high in the air. Precisely why the bus did not crash at this point I am not sure, but in any case when it landed I got off (somewhere around move 9) and considered my next move. It was somewhat difficult to orient - which way was the board facing? what was the board? would my opponent play 10.Na3 or 10.Nc3 next? (Na3 was a dusty bit of weed-infested dirt perched above a railway track wile Nc3 was somewhere in the parking lot of the supermarket across the road).

"Naaah" I thought "I don't need to look up Na3 in NCO, he's not a Na3 sorta guy" (never mind that I was supposed to be White). I had to look to the ocean to work out where south was, and hence work out which way the board was turned around, and then I confidently played Nc3 (which consisted, of course, of crossing the road).

I remember no more of the "game" except that I won a convincing and brilliant victory that was much admired by other players. I went outside for a walk ...

... and wandered off into the forest. When I looked at my watch it was 6:08pm. I had forgotten about the tournament and forfeited round two already, perhaps I'd make it back in time for round three? It wasn't clear. I wondered if the DOP would throw me out of the tournament then I remembered that I was the DOP. Then I woke up.

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.
    This piece deserves to be re-quoted as it is definitely LOL material and maybe even a "classic" post! Good one KB!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Hmmmm,

Looking like KB's is stressing and ems is working out problems in his sleep. Luv how ems gains control of the dream and sends da taz's after ems-nice twist

-Sprout85 =)

At the interval of a tournament Axiom entered through a side door.It appeared he wanted to be inconspicuous.

Hmmmm

Now that sprouty has had another look at this thread recently. It is all starting to all fall into place.

Sprouty was thinking ems was asleep at the keyboard again in here cause meh saw eclectics onlines also.

Its Also looking like there might be a lil hope in the case of meh buddy Axioms. If ems quit's trying to create hydras & starts behaving on da down-low for a while. Keeping it mouse-like(squeeky) Ems might finally be able to jam with sprouty here at chesschats Like back in da days of Ole

But like yea, dream are amazing cause sproutys lil dream might actually come true like so many often do

-Sprout85 =)
    Last edited by littlesprout85; 21-12-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Thread Information