Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

actually

Actually, if you get the Chernev book "The chess companion" there is a fantastic piece of fiction called "Professor Pownall's oversight".

It's about two chess rivals who are competing to qualify for a master tournamnet. One of the rivals murders the other one. But then the ghost of the other player keeps appearing at the chessboard and making killer moves. Even in his dreams the murderer is accosted by his murdered rival. Ultimately, the murderer vows to never play chess again and hopes that his games never appear in his dreams

But to answer the question, yes I have had dreams of chess games and positions a few times. I tend to getpositions rather than opponents. I see my hand reaching for the chessboard and moving pieces.
    Last edited by qpawn; 17-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    On Tuesday I was running way ahead of schedule in my work and for a while it looked like I might be back in Hobart in time to watch the final Kramnik-Deep Fritz game.

As it turned out this didn't materialise because there proved to be no plane from Wynyard to Hobart that day (Tassie intrastate transport is an absolute disgrace) and I missed the game, but I had been looking forward to hopefully getting back in time to see it.

That night as Kramnik was losing to Deep Fritz I dreamt that because Kramnik was unable to win the match, he had agreed to be replaced by Kasparov for the final game to increase interest in the final game (which was otherwise a dead rubber). In the game Kasparov was white.

Kasparov built up pressure on the computer with a series of apparently meaningless moves. The computer started playing complete nonsense (eg at one point it had a blocked pawn on b5 and played Ba6 shutting its bishop out of play for no reason.) Kasparov was clearly better and probably winning but suddenly misjudged a relatively simple (but not completely straightforward) series of exchanges. The computer won a pawn and went on to win the game in another ten moves or so.

Last night I dreamt that I was trying to win a game with K+Q+R vs K+R+N+B+P. I've tried to reconstruct the position but it has turned out to be logically impossible as, among other things, it requires nine squares on the opposing second rank. I had explored a line with a rook check followed by an exchange sac leading to winning the other piece with checks but didn't want to leave my opponent with KR. I had another line where I played a queen check then a different rook check driving the opposing king away from the rook and winning it, and was analysing that when I woke up.

I also dreamt that I had a game where my flag fell (analog clock) after my opponent played an illegal move (think we may have discussed this on a thread) and my opponent and I claimed the illegal move and the flagfall simultaneously. We were calling the arbiter over to sort out the mess when I noticed that even though my flag had only just fallen, it was showing three minutes past flagfall, so getting two minutes back wouldn't help me. Therefore I accepted my defeat.

If you really dreamt that you really do need help. Gee for an oldie my dream-imagination is still very "youthful".

What's worse than dreaming you have beaten a strong player convincingly only to wake up and find it was a dream? Not being able to reconstruct the game, of course!

Last night I dreamt that I was playing (one of Tasmania's strongest players) in round one of a seven round swiss (go figure!) However the game was both a game and a bus trip through some hills above what later proved to be Adelaide. Thus, while the chess game was some kind of peculiar Caro-Kann where Black fiddles around a lot with knights and both sides essentially lose a move compared to some other line, the bus was going up over the skyline somewhere around move 5, causing me to say "I like this line, it's fun", when this feeling was actually more likely prompted by the bus ride.

At a certain point the road on the skyline had a vertical jump on it, causing the bus to shoot up high in the air. Precisely why the bus did not crash at this point I am not sure, but in any case when it landed I got off (somewhere around move 9) and considered my next move. It was somewhat difficult to orient - which way was the board facing? what was the board? would my opponent play 10.Na3 or 10.Nc3 next? (Na3 was a dusty bit of weed-infested dirt perched above a railway track wile Nc3 was somewhere in the parking lot of the supermarket across the road).

"Naaah" I thought "I don't need to look up Na3 in NCO, he's not a Na3 sorta guy" (never mind that I was supposed to be White). I had to look to the ocean to work out where south was, and hence work out which way the board was turned around, and then I confidently played Nc3 (which consisted, of course, of crossing the road).

I remember no more of the "game" except that I won a convincing and brilliant victory that was much admired by other players. I went outside for a walk ...

... and wandered off into the forest. When I looked at my watch it was 6:08pm. I had forgotten about the tournament and forfeited round two already, perhaps I'd make it back in time for round three? It wasn't clear. I wondered if the DOP would throw me out of the tournament then I remembered that I was the DOP. Then I woke up.

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.

Apparent cheating by opponents is a very common feature of chess-related dreams that I have.

Last night I dreamt that I was again playing in the Australian Championship, but for some reason I had to play two games at once, and while my game against some unidentified very strong junior was proceding very nicely, I had lost half an hour on my clock in my white game against IM (name suppressed as I'm sure this person doesn't really cheat) without making a single move.

I was concerned that IM Anon would play the Pirc against me, and found this tedious because I wouldn't want to lose to it, even to an IM. So I decided I would play 1.Nf3 against IM Anon, and after 1...Nf6 2.g3 I returned to my game against the junior.

After a few more moves in that game I decided my position was very strong and the junior had plenty to chew on, and returned to my game against the IM.

I discovered that it was suddenly move six or seven. Both sides had fianchettoed their king's bishop, brought the other knight out and castled king-side. But what was peculiar was that IM Anon had also played ...Re8, which seemed to suggest he was a tempo ahead, which didn't make any sense. Looking at the board I could not see any reason for it, until I discovered that my queen was on f2 and my knight was on h1.

I got into an argument with IM Anon about how this happened and he insisted that I had mistakenly picked my king's knight up when I meant to move my bishop, and moved it there on move three.

This being a dream, it did not even occur to me that h1 would have been occupied by a rook or that Nf3-h1 would be illegal anyway. I decided to complain to the arbiter and insist that either IM Anon or a spectator had been moving my pieces while I was playing the other game.

interesting post Kevin.

It's interesting how things like Nf3-h1 seem perfectly rational in dreams.

This one is classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    What's worse than dreaming you have beaten a strong player convincingly only to wake up and find it was a dream? Not being able to reconstruct the game, of course!

Last night I dreamt that I was playing (one of Tasmania's strongest players) in round one of a seven round swiss (go figure!) However the game was both a game and a bus trip through some hills above what later proved to be Adelaide. Thus, while the chess game was some kind of peculiar Caro-Kann where Black fiddles around a lot with knights and both sides essentially lose a move compared to some other line, the bus was going up over the skyline somewhere around move 5, causing me to say "I like this line, it's fun", when this feeling was actually more likely prompted by the bus ride.

At a certain point the road on the skyline had a vertical jump on it, causing the bus to shoot up high in the air. Precisely why the bus did not crash at this point I am not sure, but in any case when it landed I got off (somewhere around move 9) and considered my next move. It was somewhat difficult to orient - which way was the board facing? what was the board? would my opponent play 10.Na3 or 10.Nc3 next? (Na3 was a dusty bit of weed-infested dirt perched above a railway track wile Nc3 was somewhere in the parking lot of the supermarket across the road).

"Naaah" I thought "I don't need to look up Na3 in NCO, he's not a Na3 sorta guy" (never mind that I was supposed to be White). I had to look to the ocean to work out where south was, and hence work out which way the board was turned around, and then I confidently played Nc3 (which consisted, of course, of crossing the road).

I remember no more of the "game" except that I won a convincing and brilliant victory that was much admired by other players. I went outside for a walk ...

... and wandered off into the forest. When I looked at my watch it was 6:08pm. I had forgotten about the tournament and forfeited round two already, perhaps I'd make it back in time for round three? It wasn't clear. I wondered if the DOP would throw me out of the tournament then I remembered that I was the DOP. Then I woke up.

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.
    What a classic, Kevin. My dreams are far more prosaic. Occasionally involve chess-players, but none that I recall actually have chess games in them. But I read that we forget 90+ % of our dreams...
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

more "in yer hallucinations" i would say ...

from tonight's forthcoming federal budget speech:

Quote Originally Posted by IfOnly...
    ... accordingly, the federal government will henceforth recognise chess as an elite mind sport thus entitling its peak body, the australian chess federation, to funding in the vicinity of one hundred million dollars per annum ...

i'm going to dream that this board gets a new vbulletin upgrade overnight which results most unexpectedly in causing those who have not posted or shouted here in quite some time to be unable to pm email or access the coffee lounge

Last night I dreamt that I was playing Peter Garrett (as distinct from our Garrett!) in a serious tournament game. The game had the same time controls as the FIDE Grand Prix meaning that there was a time control at move 40. It was move 35 in a queen and pawns ending in which I was white and a pawn up. Garrett made a surprising move and pressed my clock.

I realised that Garrett's move was threatening a series of queen checks that would force a draw. I could start a series of queen checks myself but they would win a pawn and then run out, and he would force a draw.

As I analysed, my clock ticked down. Garrett's fans, a bunch of Green Party members (this should surely have alerted me to the fact that I was dreaming) tried to distract me by feeding me small trays of roasted nuts. I simply grabbed the nuts and ate them and continued to analyse.

With just under three minutes on my clock I realised that playing h3 (which I thought of as h6 although I was white) would leave Garrett without an effective perpetual check threat and leave me free to play the queen check next move. I played the move and pressed my clock. Garrett sat there for ages analysing the position and lost on time minutes later without playing another move.

I played the move and pressed my clock. Garrett sat there for ages analysing the position and lost on time minutes later without playing another move.
    As I've said, the Libs are tossed for being hated - Labor tossed for being incompetent!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    This is possibly the most epic thread in ages! I often have in tournament/in game day dreams where I either win awesomely or lose pathetically...my version of analysis. But as far as dreams go I think I've had them but not anything specific enough to remember mostly just around the tournament I'm actually playing.

The roasted nuts distraction made me laugh.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I had a dream a few nights ago that I was playing Hou Yifan at Box Hill Chess Club, in a major tournament. Many of the spectators were players who I've played and they've stuck in my memory for some reason (usually because they made a huge blunder, were annoying during the game or completely and uttely smashed me to pieces). I ended up winning the game by playing the Sicilian, and doing a K R v K mate. As I stood up to go report the result, I caught sight of my reflection in a window nearby and realised I was dressed as Darth Vader.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

CC Candidate Master
    I agree with Saragossa. Kevin, these stories are hilarious!

The game was being played on an unusually large board and I was having trouble focussing on the position. I kept transferring it to a smaller board to analyse it (nobody seemed to object to this) but when I did so the position kept changing
    This is interesting, and is similar to a common phenomenon involving clocks in dreams. Namely, that if you look at a clock, look away, then look back at the clock, the time has usually changed.

Thread Information