Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    More strange dreams...upon which I woke up.
    Damn!, you just woke up before Antichrist entered scene 2 with Robert De Niro in the street battle scene direct from the movie 'Heat'.
    Last edited by JGB; 18-11-2004 at 11:19 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Possibly the stupidest dream I've ever had - brings a whole new meaning to the idea of "coffeehouse chess".

Last night I dreamt that I was playing game one of six in a match against another top Tasmanian player. The game was being played on an unusually large board and I was having trouble focussing on the position. I kept transferring it to a smaller board to analyse it (nobody seemed to object to this) but when I did so the position kept changing, usually for the worse. Finally I concentrated on the main board where I was three pawns down in a double rook ending with some tactics involving cross-pins on an attacked pawn, I don't remember the exact details. I had thought I had a sequence that recovered two pawns with chances but found that the position was different to the one I'd analysed and the line actually dropped a rook. So I played whatever I could to keep going and soon found my opponent had an unstoppable pawn which queened.

He was waiting for me to resign but as I surveyed the board looking for swindles I noticed that my remaining pieces had turned into half-full hot cafe lattes and I was in an endgame of king and five lattes vs king and queen (opponent may have had other material). Improbably I seemed to have winning chances as I had his king (on h8) boxed up by my king (f6) with two of my lattes on g7 and g8. It occurred to me that if I could completely surround his king with lattes then he would be unable to prevent me from tipping hot latte on his king next move and would therefore be immediately checkmated. I therefore wanted to play latte (a8)-h7 mate and got up to ask the DOP whether this was a legal move.

My opponent was disgusted. I said "I need to find out how lattes move, it isn't stated in the laws of chess". He said "You've beaten me so often, it won't hurt you to lose just one." On my way to the arbiter's table I suddenly realised the answer for myself - lattes are not chess pieces and could not contribute in any way to my attack. (Doh!) I therefore returned to the table, resigned and shook my opponent's hand. I tried to apologise saying "I'm sorry about that, it had never come up before, I just wanted to know my rights" but he was ropable and refused to listen.

I have never dreamt of anything chess, am I missing something?

CC Candidate Master

Exclamation Are You Missing Something?

AC I thought it would have been obvious, you're missing a brain!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Possibly the stupidest dream I've ever had - brings a whole new meaning to the idea of "coffeehouse chess".
    I actually think its quite profound ... but I hadn't picked you as one of the latte set KB!
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    AC I thought it would have been obvious, you're missing a brain!
    Just shows that I have a lot more interesting things to dream about aye? Actually you may be on something on there I can't remember when I last dreamt. I think it was of AR showering and I was perving on him hahaha

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    I rarely dream... I had a couple of dreams involving chess last night.....

There was one where i was playing in a huge tournament..... In Mt Buller!
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC Candidate Master
    I had a dream of my son playing chess and when he lost he ate all the other players and the arbiter didnt give him money so he gobbled up the arbiter too.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the chess nut
    Yeah, like that will happen.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

did you get any cd's

CC International Master Bereaved's Avatar
    Very good one and all,
    take care and God Bless, Macavity

Your dream has come true - I just voted for A/C being barred from having polls - beat that.

CC International Master
    This isn't my dream but I thought some might find it interesting:

http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/Eng...ans/031110.php

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Last night I dreamt that I was playing in a small but very strong 7-round swiss somewhere on the Australian mainland and, having fluked my way to an undeserved 4/6, I was drawn to play white against tournament leader David Smerdon (6/6) in the final round.

I sat down at the table and reached out to shake hands and then noticed that David had already moved a black pawn to a6. After a moment of confusion I somehow understood this to mean 1...a6 against anything. I thought for a moment and played 1.e4. He pointed at his a-pawn and pressed the clock. I played 2.d4. David picked up his b-pawn. I thought "aha he is going to play the Polish and smash me with it to punish me for rubbishing the Polish on the bulletin board". But no, he played ...b6. I felt relieved. The game continued and after several moves, all of his banged out instantly although his clock showed he had used 25 minutes, he had a great pawn centre, his first two moves notwithstanding. He was harassing my king with minor pieces that kept threatening to checkmate me [this is a blatant lift from me threatening the same against Dowden in the Tas Blitz champs I think]. He had castled kingside and fianchettoed his king's bishop and I suddenly noted with delight that I could play Qxh7+ - it was protected by my knight on g5. My delight faded when I noticed that his king would simply move and all I would do was harmlessly win a pawn that would not solve my problems, since his bishop covered h8 and if I sacrificed my queen there (it was protected by a rook as well as the knight) he would get g7 and then f6 as holes for his king. I studied the position for several minutes in dismay trying to find a more effective attack, failed, and woke up.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    I've had a couple of chess dreams myself, but the position of the board often ends up in confusion and I wake up in frustration. (This maybe me more of a reflection of my lack of talent than anything else! )
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Thread Information