Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee View Post
    My chess dreams seem to be more about organising tournaments, and nothing about the positions.

I dream that I am playing a regular opponent, and have a strong, if not winning, position, when a distraction occurs elsewhere that means I have to sort it out before returning to my board, only to find that the pieces are suddenly all in the wrong places... (Frustration!)

Attempting to go back through both scoresheets to reconstruct the game (or trying to replay the game through my mind) only proves to be an even more frustrating exercise where I just can't hold my concentration... (all the while my clock is running down)... and then another distraction pops up!

Sometimes it's good to wake up!
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who has anxiety dreams about organising chess tournaments - although I'm rarely a player in these dreams!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I think this is my first ever dream about being an arbiter.

In last night's dream I dreamt that I was running a small Swiss tournament which included some rather high-rated young players. The tournament has just overcome some interruptions from external noise when one of these high-rated young players (2200-ish), who has already been playing poorly and losing to lower rated players, starts mucking about. He starts doing things like sneaking pieces from the side of the board back onto the board two at a time and bouncing them up and down on their squares, which is obviously totally illegal and distracting to the opponent.

I warn the young star that if he does this again his tournament score will be deducted half a point. However, after a little while, he starts doing the same thing again but more subtly, bringing pieces up to the edge of the board without quite putting them on it, all in a deliberate attempt to "rules-lawyer" my previous ruling by being as obnoxious as he can without quite triggering it. Eventually I spot him sneaking a piece onto the board and decide he has breached my previous ruling, and step in to tell him that I am penalising him half a point. He says something like "oh, that's all for me then", and walks out of the venue making it clear he is withdrawing from the tournament. I rule that he has forfeited his round 4 game (in which he was dead lost anyway), and then notice that he has also lost rounds 1-3, meaning that he finishes the tournament as a withdrawal with a score of -.5/4.

At the start of the next round a bunch of the young player's friends turn up and berate me and argue that their friend is wonderful and cannot possibly have broken the rules, therefore he didn't and that I was just being mean. I listen to them, torn between lambasting them for spouting trash in defence of a badly behaving player, and the realisation that at some point I will have to fess up: Penalising a player's tournament score is not a penalty available to the arbiter and therefore my decision had been wrong.

Then I wake up.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 17-02-2019 at 12:18 AM.

That brought a smile to my lips, Kev. Tomorrow night I am arbiter for a FIDE rated event for the first time.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information