Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

In yer dreams ...

Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against or even an utter novice. Usually this will involve my time simply running away while I sit there powerless to prevent it, copious cheating by my opponent and an illegally large number of opposing pawns parked menacingly on my third rank.

However a few nights ago my alter-ego enjoyed a form reversal and managed a draw against Peter Leko. I don't remember the exact position but we had castled opposite sides and Leko (Black) had an enormous q-side attack but his Q was parked on h5 and I had a lot of pressure piled up on the g-file, but no actual winning threats. Leko missed that I had a Nxf4 hitting his queen and threatening to take it then sac for a draw before he could checkmate me. He played ...Qd1+ giving up his Q to capture by some minor piece and disrupting my q-side defences, but only had enough attack to force a perpetual with the single tempo left before I forced one myself.

Leko was disgusted by this result and stormed off (I think this bit was inspired by reading about one of Theos Rippis' opponents doing that in the Asian Cities). Leko was even less impressed when he learned that a movie producer intended to use the game in a chess scene in a major blockbuster, thus exposing to the world at large how he had conceded a draw to such a bunny. He even sent a hired thug after me with the object of forcing me to surrender all records of the game so that it would be as if it had never happened. I was telling the thug not to bother, the game was already all over in the internet and published in Australian Chess, there was no way it could possibly be disposed of. Then I woke up.

d'oh
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against or even an utter novice. Usually this will involve my time simply running away while I sit there powerless to prevent it, copious cheating by my opponent and an illegally large number of opposing pawns parked menacingly on my third rank.

However a few nights ago my alter-ego enjoyed a form reversal and managed a draw against Peter Leko. I don't remember the exact position but we had castled opposite sides and Leko (Black) had an enormous q-side attack but his Q was parked on h5 and I had a lot of pressure piled up on the g-file, but no actual winning threats. Leko missed that I had a Nxf4 hitting his queen and threatening to take it then sac for a draw before he could checkmate me. He played ...Qd1+ giving up his Q to capture by some minor piece and disrupting my q-side defences, but only had enough attack to force a perpetual with the single tempo left before I forced one myself.

Leko was disgusted by this result and stormed off (I think this bit was inspired by reading about one of Theos Rippis' opponents doing that in the Asian Cities). Leko was even less impressed when he learned that a movie producer intended to use the game in a chess scene in a major blockbuster, thus exposing to the world at large how he had conceded a draw to such a bunny. He even sent a hired thug after me with the object of forcing me to surrender all records of the game so that it would be as if it had never happened. I was telling the thug not to bother, the game was already all over in the internet and published in Australian Chess, there was no way it could possibly be disposed of. Then I woke up.
    That's awesome, nice to remember it so vividly too. I usually dream of chess upon playing a whole heap of games on the net, so in the past have dreamt a lot about bug, (and lately, suicide chess).. suffice to say I think it detracts somewhat from quality of sleep, hehe. Thanks for sharing anyway, hehe.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

I hardly ever dream. Dreaming about chess would be the best though!
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    I hardly ever dream. Dreaming about chess would be the best though!
    Hehe, not sure I can agree, it makes you somewhat restless I believe. I had some dream last night that involved some characters in Frasier and a dispute over washing or something :p
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    That's awesome, nice to remember it so vividly too.
    Actually I got the squares the wrong way round when I was describing it before - just mirror-image all the files from my post. I remember other details of the position but not quite enough to recreate it and see how erroneous the analysis was.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar

Actually that dream is quite common.
    We may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith.” We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence. - Bertrand Russell

in a dream i am at university late doing an assignment. Logging on to chesskit and making comments about chess. oh hang on..... it's reality!!!
    GO THE DRAGONS!

Do you dream in colour?

AR

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Do you dream in colour?
    Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself. Women do recall colour.

Also, smell is quite rare dreams while acceleration (inner ear balance) related preceptions are common.

Does anyone have some recent literature on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself. Women do recall colour.

Also, smell is quite rare dreams while acceleration (inner ear balance) related preceptions are common.

Does anyone have some recent literature on this stuff.
    my most common sensation in dreams is feeling like an alert mind inside a corpse and not being able to get myself to move

it's as if i'm possessed by another being or force

perhaps this should be taken to

"in your nightmares"

fears,

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    my most common sensation in dreams is feeling like an alert mind inside a corpse and not being able to get myself to move

it's as if i'm possessed by another being or force

perhaps this should be taken to

"in your nightmares"

fears,

eclectic
    During sleep the brain has to turn off the link between the the motor cortex and everything else, otherwise you would be thrashing about all night with movements require in your dreams. However, there are times when this link is not full cut.
    1. Just as you go to sleep - sometimes we give a kick or some twitches when the cut is not quite completed
    2. Sleep walking / talking
    3. Extemely emotional dreams - fear, anger, sex.
    4. Restless legs syndrome - a sleep disorder where your kicking legs keep waking you up.

Another interesting phenominum is where the cut remains intact, but the rest of the brain is nearly awake. Under such circumstances, your waking brain sences the inablitiy to move as a paralyisis. This can be be a very strong sensation in some people. If the person has also been indulging in X-Files type literature, or has has an strong interest in such stuff, the fear can trigger their autonomic NS to start a peristalic wave that feels a bit like defication. In combination, it can result in a frighteningly vivid recollection of alien abduction and anal probes.

How's your bum, eclectic?

If the person has also been indulging in X-Files type literature, or has has an strong interest in such stuff, the fear can trigger their autonomic NS to start a peristalic wave that feels a bit like defication. In combination, it can result in a frighteningly vivid recollection of alien abduction and anal probes.

How's your bum, eclectic?
    DAGNABBIT MR SWEENEY !!!!

I AM NOT ERIC CARTMAN

:p

eclectic

Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself.
    I recall colour without difficulty more or less irrespective of importance. Objects may not have a fixed colour (indeed frequently don't) but even if so I can remember the colour changes pretty well. GM Leko was wearing a medium-green blazer, a dull tan jumper and yellow trousers.

Offhand, I cannot remember having a single dream involving smell, ever.

I recall colour without difficulty more or less irrespective of importance.
    But seriously, the colour/no colour thing, is a generality. Also, we must be aware that our memories of dreams are not as vivid as our memories of reality. The disconcerting aspect aboout memory, especially non-deliberate memories, is how much of it is made up. Most periferal details are not put down in memory at all. Our brain simply has an out line of the event/object and it uses other memories to fill in the details.

Lawyers are starting to realise that current reseach into memory, is close to making "eye witness" non-deliberate memory accounts of events, inadmisable in court.

Perhaps you have seen a photo of Leko with a green coat.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 10-05-2004 at 06:24 PM. Reason: homophobic coarse language

Thread Information