Account Suspended

Correspondence rules

Hi

I've never played correspondence chess before and want to know what the rules are for it in regard to...

1. Opening books
    2. Databases
    3. Computer assistence

Regards

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    Hi

I've never played correspondence chess before and want to know what the rules are for it in regard to...

1. Opening books
    2. Databases
    3. Computer assistence

Regards
    none of the above allowed(assuming its chesschat cc,you're referring too), see you in cc soon,any further queries ,dont hesitate to ask.
    regards,
    Axiom

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Varies by site. Some sites allow assistance, some do not. Generally 1 and 2 are fine; Axiom has views on this as a poster but his views are not officially those of this site.

As for 3, on this site if you have concerns about computer use by your opponent you should clarify that the game is to be non-assisted at the start. If you wish to use a computer yourself you should explicitly request a freestyle game.

- Kevin Bonham
    Moderator, Chess Chat.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Varies by site. Some sites allow assistance, some do not. Generally 1 and 2 are fine; Axiom has views on this as a poster but his views are not officially those of this site.

As for 3, on this site if you have concerns about computer use by your opponent you should clarify that the game is to be non-assisted at the start. If you wish to use a computer yourself you should explicitly request a freestyle game.

- Kevin Bonham
    Moderator, Chess Chat.
    Now you tell me!!! ........brain only ,is my modus,.........but happily accept site rules of course.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    It's been discussed before. As previously stated I am using brain only (such as it is) in our games at present.

The person I was on the phone to at the time can vouch that it took me ~15 minutes of banging my head against nonexistent walls to find ...Bxd3!
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 23-03-2007 at 02:11 AM.

CameronD,

There are no hard and fast rules. It is whatever you and your opponent agree to.

Generally using opening books and databases are allowed. Computers are not. I take the view that if it is freely available and accessible by both players, it is ok.

What move rate the games are played at is also between your opponent and yourself.

The chesschat tournaments are a different matter in that each game is played under the rules agreed by the participants at the start of the tournament.

Normally is it must make one move in each game per seven days. Databases and opening books are allowed. Computer engines are not. Tournaments are normally round robin.

Freestyle chess is anything goes.

Thread Information