Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

CC Candidate Master

Help!

I played this game a couple of weeks ago against a higher rated player. I thought I played pretty well and I was nearly drawing but I lost . can anyone tell me what went wrong? I was white

PGN Viewer

There must be a perpetual check in there somewhere!
    Last edited by samspade; 07-05-2004 at 11:17 PM.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    ...can anyone tell me what went wrong?
    Yep, you played a higher rated player

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    Yep, you played a higher rated player
    Thanks Matthew I knew I could count on you

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    Thanks Matthew I knew I could count on you
    OK seriously. Hunt the K to h8 while making sure your Q is always able to get to either c1 and h6 fo a perpetual. If pawn f5-f6, at least you will pinch it and be even on material.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    OK seriously. Hunt the K to h8 while making sure your Q is always able to get to either c1 and h6 fo a perpetual. If pawn f5-f6, at least you will pinch it and be even on material.
    The problem is if I ever stop checking and take his pawn he can probably find some way of swapping queens, so I have to keep checking. But with everything I've tried it looks like he keeps on weaseling out of the checks

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    It is called the Pelikan or the Sveshnikov and Nb5 is one of the most critical tests of the idea. However, don't play it without knowing the theory as there are long book lines you should be acquainted with first. You should find these in NCO. The first thing to know is that d6 is practically forced. Just about any other move allows Nd6 which if allowed you should almost always play without hesitation.

18...a5?? was a horrible mistake. 19.Nd6+! Rxd6 20.Rxe8 wins the exchange from which you should have been able to win the game. Black needed to play 18...Kb6, say, to remove the forking threat.

21.Re1 looks wrong too. 21.Nb3 attacking the a and d pawns looks better. If Rb8 (pinning the knight to b2) then you can play your rook up to c4 and threaten to win the d pawn with that piece. Either way you should be winning an important pawn. After 21.Re1 black should have played 21...Rxe1 22.Kxe1 Kb6 to chase away the knight to that he can later play Nb4 and win a pawn. Although you might be able to stymie that plan with threats of you own again the k-side pawns, that needs more analysis. But 21...Rxe1 looks good for Black.

At move 23.Nb3 just wins material immediately. It must be played before Black defends things on the Q-side.

Looks to be a couple of tactical oversights on both sides here were you lose a pawn but it might not matter as black has doubled pawns and I thought 29.h4 was an good keeping g7 backward. However, you seem to have gone from infront to behind in this passage of play (23 - 29). Can I ask the Time Control the game was played under?

At move 33.a4 looks interesting and perhaps your last hope. It is quite a long variation to calculate but perhaps white emerges with an edge. Certainly not losing (I think) after 33.a4 c5 34.Kxc5 Kg4 35.b4 axb4 36.Kxb4 Kh3 37.a5 Kg2 38.a6 Kxf2 39.a7 Kg1 40.a8=Q f2 41.Qh8 f1=Q 42.Qxg7+ Kh2 43.Qxd4 However, there could be some mistakes in there as I only had a quick look through it and Black in particular has a couple of other moves to try.

At move 34 black goes only slightly wrong with 34...Kxh4?! since 34...Kh3 with the idea of promoting the f3 pawn is a quicker plan. However, 34...Kh4 looks to be just sufficient as after the first generatoin of queens are exchanged off, black's other k-side pawns promote a mile before yours.

Oh - chances of perpetual are not good. Black has too many squares covered with Queen and pawns to make that a viable idea unless Black is quite short of time.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Barry Cox; 07-05-2004 at 11:59 PM.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    19.Nd6+! Rxd6 20.Rxe8 wins the exchange from which you should have been able to win the game.
    yikes you're right And I didn't even see it! I think it's back to the Reinfeld for me . Thank you for your input Barry I go through your comments in more detail when I am more alert as I have been writing letters to my various incompetent political "representatives"all night. thanks again

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I thought 34.Ke3 saved but it doesn't, it's really interesting to me that there's no save on that move. I agree with the line Barry gives with 33.a4, I think the final position is fairly easily drawn by Black with best play. There are many other ways to draw for White but they tend not to leave Black any work at all. I think the pawn ending is drawn with best play for both up to the mistake on W33.

Pure pawn endings are tricky and mistakes tend to be fatal. It's a good idea to avoid unclear or bad-looking PP endings unless you have time to calculate them out thoroughly, they're forced, or you have so little time left (in a fixed time game) that you've got no choice to avoid a loss on time.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Yes, once Black makes his intention clear that he is going into a pawn race every tempo is vital. 33.Kxd4 looks natural but wastes one of these tempi. A case of a single tempo being worth more than a pawn!

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    It is called the Pelikan or the Sveshnikov.
    Baz, I always treated this system quite differently from the Pelikan (for a start, White can play c4). The young Kramnik, with his teenage peers, turned this opening into a viable system in the early '90s. Locally, Gary Lane successfully employed it to become Australian Champion.

I believe the entire system is shithouse, and I look forward to cracking Gary the next chance I get.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 09-05-2004 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Canfell
    Baz, I have always had trouble playing White, but I always treated this system quite differently from the Pelikan (for a start, White can play c4). The young Kramnik, with his teenage peers, turned this opening into a viable system in the early '90s. Locally, Gary Lane successfully employed it to become Australian Champion.

I believe the entire system is shithouse, and I look forward to cracking Gary the next chance I get.
    im confused Greg, are you saying the sveshnikov is shithouse?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    im confused Greg, are you saying the sveshnikov is shithouse?
    Sorry, gg, perhaps I should have been clearer, this is not the Sveshnikov (Pelikan) at all, because the moves ...Nf6, Nc3 have not been included.
    I believe it's called something like the Kalashnikov(?) and is a very poor cousin of the currently unbeatable Pelikan, which is currently the scourge of 1.e4 players at the highest level.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 09-05-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Actually, "scourge" is an exaggeration, since Anand has personally destroyed more than one of Black's tries.

I also recall that Grischuk said about a year ago that he hoped the Pelikan would be refuted "so we could get back to normal chess". Reading between the lines, I believe he meant "let us consign this antipositional crap to the dustbin."

Baz, I always treated this system quite differently from the Pelikan (for a start, White can play c4). The young Kramnik, with his teenage peers, turned this opening into a viable system in the early '90s. Locally, Gary Lane successfully employed it to become Australian Champion.

Yes that was sloppy of me, you're right, as Black has skipped the usual 4...Nf6 5.Nc3 it is not a Pelikan/Svesh, per se. Could still transpose if 4...e5 is followed with 5.Nb5 Nf6 6.N1c3. 5...a6 would be the Lowenthal after which 6.Nd6+ is still generally good for White (as in the Svesh).

5....d6 is the Kalashnikov and is similar to the Svesh except that as you say c4 has not been prevented and should probably be played on move 6. If black plays the a6 then you still have to play Na3 but the knight isn't as bad since c2 is already clear and you you have a good grip on d5 of course. I think the weakness on d4 could be annoying though (not that I've played against the Kalash that often but I have played lines against the Svesh when you get c4 in a little later, instead of the usual c3).

My last outing I remember against the Svesh was a correspondence game against Steve Kerr. I was completely hammered. I exchanged some post game analysis after the game and it sounds like he is completely sold on the Svesh as God's gift to Black. If anyone's interested I'll dig the game up and post it.

I have since all but retired 1.e4. (Not as a direct result of this game but just because too many people have pet systems and I wanted to adopt a flexible, positional system).

CC International Master

Yes interesting stuff that opening. I played a fun game vs neil wright at auschamps against it. I will post it if I have time later. I don't know if Gary will keep that opening up. His success with it came to an abrupt halt after
    Zhong-Yuan "cracked" him at the Doeberl.
    Last edited by Lucena; 12-05-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Thread Information