View Poll Results: which 4 females will you pick for the Women's Olympiad Team?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irina Feldman

    7 77.78%
  • Anastasia Sorokina

    5 55.56%
  • Ingela Wallace

    7 77.78%
  • Biljana Dekic

    1 11.11%
  • Ngan Koshnitsky

    1 11.11%
  • Giang Nguyen

    2 22.22%
  • Catherine Lip

    0 0%
  • Laura Moylan

    4 44.44%
  • Nancy Lane

    1 11.11%
  • Other

    2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441

    Women's Olympiad - your selection

    who do you think will make the women's squad?

    My four are Irena, Anastasia, Ingela and laura
    Always do your Best

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    It is my understanding Giang Nguyen does not qualify so anyone who votes for her is just wating their time. I doubt she could even get in if she tried to get in via the pay to play because I think she is here as an International Student not even a permanent resident. If I am wrong please correct me.
    Scott

  3. #3
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottColliver
    It is my understanding Giang Nguyen does not qualify so anyone who votes for her is just wating their time. I doubt she could even get in if she tried to get in via the pay to play because I think she is here as an International Student not even a permanent resident. If I am wrong please correct me.
    Scott
    This is probably true, as I know she was ineligible for a title in Sydney in Jan 2002. She does appear on the ratings list as "SA" not "foreign", but on the FIDE lists she does not appear for Australia (I checked for the Young Masters).

    However I voted for her, as I would like to bet she stays in Australia long term and she is really nice and these polls are kind of pointless anyway....

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    and these polls are kind of pointless anyway....
    so then it would have been you that voted for jose in the mens olympiad poll then

  5. #5
    Account Suspended jenni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    so then it would have been you that voted for jose in the mens olympiad poll then
    I have to admit I thought about it , but no I didn't....

  6. #6
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    so then it would have been you that voted for jose in the mens olympiad poll then
    As that poll shows it was CL who voted for Jose.

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master Chess Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    As that poll shows it was CL who voted for Jose.
    Is that another case of Chesslover voting for himself again
    John Cronan

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Alan Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Crane, Poole & Schmidt
    Posts
    3,871
    Yeah I voted for Giang anyway.. the option was there :p

    Others were Irina, Anastasia and Laura. Since Giang won't be going guess my other choice would be Ingela.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

  9. #9
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    1,441
    17 voted for the Men's team. 5 for the women's

    There are teh same 10 options, and the same public voting system

    Yet 17 for men and 5 for women

    does it mean that the women players are not so well known, or that simply the Men's team holds more interest?

    Unlike League where this might be justified, as there is a vast chasm between men and women skill levels, there is no such excuse in chess. Men and Women's team are both equal and should be treated with the same level of importance by all
    Always do your Best

  10. #10
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,054
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    Unlike League where this might be justified, as there is a vast chasm between men and women skill levels, there is no such excuse in chess. Men and Women's team are both equal and should be treated with the same level of importance by all
    Well actually there is a significant difference in skill level between the men and the women. In fact with the exception of Judith Polgar this is true world wide.

  11. #11
    CC International Master JGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    17 voted for the Men's team. 5 for the women's
    sorry, for me its a case of knowing far too little about most of the women players back In Australia to make an educated choice.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    sorry, for me its a case of knowing far too little about most of the women players back In Australia to make an educated choice.
    im the same. also the women are far too inactive generally to be able to make any judgements from tournament results without knowing the players in person.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Olympiad selections [2004]
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 699
    Last Post: 16-10-2004, 09:22 PM
  2. Men's Olympiad - your selection
    By Alan Shore in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 14-07-2004, 02:34 PM
  3. Womens World Chess Championship
    By Oepty in forum Overseas Tournament News and Results
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:49 AM
  4. 2004 ACT Women's and Girls' Championships
    By jenni in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
  5. ACF needs Secretary and Olympiad Appeal Co-ordinator
    By george in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •