Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    Kevin. You have Bradley Stansfield recognised as the youngest winner of the Tas Champs at 16 in 1989 in the first post, but he is not listed as Tas Champ in 1989 in the list in the 4th post. Browne and Lucht are, while Stansfield is listed as winning in 1993 with Browne.
    Scott
    Thanks very much for spotting that. 1993 is correct and I have fixed the first post.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Thanks very much for spotting that. 1993 is correct and I have fixed the first post.
    How old was Alistair Dyer when he won this year?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    How old was Alistair Dyer when he won this year?
    Scott
    He turned 17 a few weeks before winning the Championships. May have been erroneously reported as 16 in some media.

Records updated. Alastair Dyer is the youngest ever repeat winner of the Tas Champs and the youngest to win the Tas Champs tournament outright (but not quite the youngest to win the title outright.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Records updated. Alastair Dyer is the youngest ever repeat winner of the Tas Champs and the youngest to win the Tas Champs tournament outright (but not quite the youngest to win the title outright.)
    Tht is definitely worthy of congratulations. Well done, Alastair!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Rookie
    "Info on the doctoral status of any other state champs at the time of their title would be appreciated. Dr Holmes was a dentist; I am unsure what Dr Phillips was a doctor of as his study years are indicated in his chess resume simply as "Inactive regarding chess". "

Dr. Frank Phillips was an opthamologist. He was born in Adelaide in 1900 - maybe 1902 (from memory - I've got it written down somewhere) and trained and worked in England until the start of WWII (he played at county level there). I remember him saying that when he arrived in Tasmania he was the only eye surgeon here so had little time for chess. He had retired by the time I started playing (early 70s). At least in his latter years he always opened 1.d4 and always replied to 1.e4 with 1...e5 and with 1...d5 to 1.d4. Barry Holmes once told me that Frank was henpecked so kept playing chess in his retirement and he was still a very strong player into his 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by pwa
    Dr. Frank Phillips was an opthamologist. He was born in Adelaide in 1900 - maybe 1902 (from memory - I've got it written down somewhere) and trained and worked in England until the start of WWII (he played at county level there). I remember him saying that when he arrived in Tasmania he was the only eye surgeon here so had little time for chess. He had retired by the time I started playing (early 70s). At least in his latter years he always opened 1.d4 and always replied to 1.e4 with 1...e5 and with 1...d5 to 1.d4. Barry Holmes once told me that Frank was henpecked so kept playing chess in his retirement and he was still a very strong player into his 80s.
    As a result of pwa's extremely interesting note on Dr Frank Phillips, I researched a bit further on the Doctor's opthalmological work in Tassie and found this piece of information which might be of assistance to the future historian.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...yqex1-7Bgu8oBA
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by pwa
    "Info on the doctoral status of any other state champs at the time of their title would be appreciated. Dr Holmes was a dentist; I am unsure what Dr Phillips was a doctor of as his study years are indicated in his chess resume simply as "Inactive regarding chess". "

An interesting reason to continue playing chess.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    An interesting reason to continue playing chess.
    Why? I'd still play if I was very strong into my 80's

But I'm not sure how 'strong' in my 50's will translate into 'very strong' in another 30-odd years

TASMANIAN LIGHTNING CHAMPIONS

Format has variously been a swiss, a round robin or a double round robin. Usually nine rounds if played as a Swiss. 5/0 was used up til 2016 with 3/2 adopted in 2017.

1974 Robert D. Atkinson
    1975 G. Lambert, S. James Henri
    1976 S. James Henri
    1977 Andrew Foong, Peter Foong, Fleming W Hansen
    1978 Peter Wagg, Richard Neville Ledger
    1979 S. James Henri
    1980 K. Cornish
    1981 Adrian Flitney
    1982 Richard J. B. Hills
    1983 Peter Wagg
    1984 Peter Wagg
    1985 Michael Roberts
    1986-8 Event not held
    1989 Michael Rolph
    1990 Carl Smith, Julian Steward
    1991-4 Event not held
    1995 Peter Wagg
    1996 Nigel Frame
    1997 Nigel Frame
    1998 Nigel Frame
    1999 Nigel Frame
    2000 Alija Premilovac
    2001 Andrew Todd
    2002 Event not held - Andrew Todd retained title
    2003 Nigel Frame
    2004 Nigel Frame, Kevin Bonham
    2005 Milutin Ivkovic
    2006 Tony Dowden
    2007 Tony Dowden
    2008 Tony Dowden
    2009 Tony Dowden
    2010 Alastair Dyer
    2011 Kevin Bonham, Denis McMahon
    2012 Kevin Bonham, Tony Dowden
    2013 Kevin Bonham
    2014 David Small
    2015 Denis McMahon
    2016 Denis McMahon, Martin Friebe
    2017 Tan Thanh Nguyen
    2018 Will Rumley

I do not recall anything about why the event was not held 1986-8. 1991-4 was a period of little organised chess in the state generally.

In 2002 there was a booking mixup which resulted in it being discovered at very short notice that the venue for the Open and Lightning had been booked for the weekend after the one on which the tournament was scheduled. The incumbent Lightning Champion was one of the surprisingly few entrants unable to attend the following weekend and it was agreed that the offical Lightning should be cancelled for the year and he should retain the title.

There have been some cases of ineligible players winning the Lightning tournament and the title going to the first eligible Tasmanian player(s). This applies at least to 2004 (Lee Jones) and 2016 (Martin Friebe) but there may be others. In 2016 Martin Friebe was ineligible at the time of the tournament but retrospectively awarded a share of the title.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 18-08-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Posting a clarification here regarding the status of the Tasmanian Open as there's been another instance of apparent confusion between it and the Tas Champs (as happens frequently, though not as often as it used to).

The event title is Tasmanian Open with no "Championships". It is not a Championship title and the winner is not the, or even a, Tasmanian Champion. The winner is simply the, or a, Tasmanian Open title winner in that year.

Because of persistent confusion between the Open and the Closed Championships, which are understood as the real state title, the TCA passed the following motion on 10 March 2003:

MOVED Bonham that:
    (i) The event known as the Tasmanian Open Championships be renamed as the Tasmanian Open.
    (ii) The TCA affirms that the Open is to be regarded as the most prestigious event on the state calendar excluding the Tasmanian Closed Championships
    (iii) The event is not considered a state title for the purposes of TCA Constitution section 4(c)(ii). CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
    The current Tasmanian Champion is Neil Markovitz.

Kevin Bonham
    Secretary, TCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden
    Why? I'd still play if I was very strong into my 80's

But I'm not sure how 'strong' in my 50's will translate into 'very strong' in another 30-odd years
    Lloyd Fell was still okay at 80. Not highly rated maybe but still definitely loving it.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Lloyd Fell was still okay at 80. Not highly rated maybe but still definitely loving it.
    Sounds like there might be hope for me then AC. I'll aim for OK at 80
    Fischer visiting Tal in hospital - Curaçao 1962

"You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one." - Mikhail Tal
    "Best by test" (on 1.e4) - Bobby Fischer

Thread updated. The TCA has given in-principle approval to creating a Tasmanian Rapid Championship, possibly to be held in Devonport later this year.

Records updated. Note that all academic title information has now been removed from the main lists and consolidated at the foot of post 4.

Thread Information