Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CAQ opened the COB for tender by a new organiser, as such restricted events are not properly the provenance of the state body.

BCC declined the opportunity to run the event, which remains open for tender

maybe interesting?

I spotted the article http://www.mickhadley.com/history.php somewhere and I thought a part of it could be of interest to the banana bending contegent of CC.

At 60, legendary performer Mick Hadley is still happiest on stage, writes Trent Dalton
    There's a blackout in the Australian National Hotel in Woolloongabba and, to compensate, everybody's first drinks are on the house....

In Brisbane, Mick started out in The Primitif, a bohemian little club in the City where beatniks would play chess and enjoy coffee from, reportedly, Brisbane's first ever espresso maker....

Cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by ER; 31-01-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Rookie
    The Brisbane Chess Club has a long and unique history. It was always the perk for CAQ, it never had a constitution, it moved locations quit a bit, it was never functioning out of school premises and it was the main stay for chess in Brisbane and as such in QLD.

I took an interest in the club way back when we were residing in the Art Centre on Edward Street in Brisbane. At the time I was serving on the CAQ council as State Director for Coaching. Upon becoming the President and thus the main administrator for the BCC we moved to Embroidery Guild in Fortitude Valley. This move was mainly due to high rent and very unsuitable dark and fractured premises. The new building offered security but increased unwelcome visitors (local drunkets). There we have increased night fees and created life membership. Dr Jim Petrie became our first life member. As a life member you don’t have to pay night fees and tournament entry fees. Jim bought our first Life membership for $500 (pls don’t quote me on the price I don’t have my records handy they are with Pat in the club). Later (Jim has the dates fairly right) George Smith and I have negotiated a new venue in the Majestic Hotel. This was the best location for Brisbane Chess Club ever. The rent was $40 a night and we had the bar and kitchen downstairs and extra unused large hall next to us. We never had the need to use this hall but it was available to us.

In the Majestic Hotel the Brisbane Chess Club had its finest history. I remember our simple club championship had 40+ entrances. It was there where I organised Queensland first Brisbane Open Championship as a counter part to Brisbane Chess Club Championship (hence closed to members only) not as counter part to CAQ State Championship that many are still claiming. Many other tournaments were put on our calendar. Among many I can list the BCC lightning Grand Prix, our famous Six Packs, etc. We also started our formal Transfer Tournament thanks to Andrew Meldrum we had the Transfer's First Recommended Opening Repertoire. Andrew was simply too good. It was there were I initiated the BCCA (Brisbane Chess Clubs Alliance that was active for 3 years and included all major Brisbane Chess Clubs ( Brisbane Chess Club, German Chess Club, Redcliffe Chess Club, API Chess Club and Logan Chess Club - The Gap Chess Club and Nundah Chess Club I thing joined later but were never granted a full membership). The BCCA was meeting exclusively at the API (Australian Postal Instituted) premises.

The API was a very nice flash in the Brisbane Chess history. It was run by a newbie the late Richard Thomas with such an enthusiasm that within weeks it became a prominent Chess Club of Brisbane. Their meeting hours were unique and never crossed other clubs' nights. Richard made sure of that. Their premises were free provided by API and situated right in the middle of Brisbane City.

Also at the same time I have started the CEA (Chess Enterprises Australia) with Magne Forfang and organise an Brisbane Chess Clubs' Team Championship. That did not sit well with the old CAQ and very nasty chess legal war started. It was again Dr Jim Petrie whose intervention settled the years long running disputed. Out of memory CAQ lost its membership down to 4 people as old members ignored to re-list fearful to be appropriated legal fees or just simply disagreed with old CAQ madness. Immediately after this legal drama was over Alian Fossy moved to incorporate CAQ mainly to deflect financial liability for its future members. This was probably the smartest move the CAQ ever did.

At the same time with the help of Michael Whale I had also wrote an independent chess rating programme that was not restricted to CAQ members only. Pat used my rating list at the CAQ State Championship because of its accuracy (his words).

Still at the same time I have embarked on state wide chess coaching at the primary schools and organised Queensland Inaugural Primary School Team Championship. To this extend I had to invent a new category for the youngster and thus the Cadets were born. Cadets meant everyone attending Primary School regardless of age. I have also set up the Commodore Group for the high school students but there was no need for one so it lapsed. My Chess Coaching Programme eclipsed all primary school in QLD by slicing it into QLD Chess Regions and appointing a Regional Director for Chess Coaching fully funded by the State Government. This established the grounds for others to start up their chess coaching clinics (Cony Pizzato and Graham Gardner from Gold coast and later joined by the Chess Academy compliments of Ian Murry where such establishments). Today, chess coaching is standard a very diversified.

To complete this history flash back I have to mention a few other publications known to me that should serve as a source for further research - The Chess Enterprises Update, The BCCA Bulletin, the BCC calendar and of course the chess column in the Courier Mail. This chess column traditionally belongs to BCC but it was run independently since I can remember.

I hope this contribution will refresh the memories of others. Kerry Corker, Mark Craven, Alain Fossy, George Smith, Pat Byrom, Alan Thomas and Jim Petrie and to some extend Craig Laird (the first President of the new CAQ after its collapse) are the main living chess legends that shaped QLD chess history.

Have a nice day

Paul Chalupa
    Last edited by Paul; 25-06-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    I konw it hurts.

Paul

Nice to see you are alive and well.

Thanks for the essay, it made interesting reading.

If you still play chess there could be a spot for you on board one for Brisbane in the interclub. You'd probably do better than the fence post we have there now.

Cheers
    Garrett aka George Lester.

CC Rookie
    Oh who are the visitors
    Last edited by Paul; 26-06-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    I konw it hurts.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Paul -

How's your world? I well recall the old Majestic Hotel days - not a bad spot, and very central. It's interesting to hear about the history of BCC, too. Thanks for sharing...

Kevin Casey
    www.remoteriverman.com

CC Rookie

Setting the Record Straight

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The Brisbane Chess Club has a long and unique history. It was always the perk for CAQ, it never had a constitution, it moved locations quit a bit, it was never functioning out of school premises and it was the main stay for chess in Brisbane and as such in QLD.

I took an interest in the club way back when we were residing in the Art Centre on Edward Street in Brisbane. At the time I was serving on the CAQ council as State Director for Coaching. Upon becoming the President and thus the main administrator for the BCC we moved to Embroidery Guild in Fortitude Valley. This move was mainly due to high rent and very unsuitable dark and fractured premises. The new building offered security but increased unwelcome visitors (local drunkets). There we have increased night fees and created life membership. Dr Jim Petrie became our first life member. As a life member you donít have to pay night fees and tournament entry fees. Jim bought our first Life membership for $500 (pls donít quote me on the price I donít have my records handy they are with Pat in the club). Later (Jim has the dates fairly right) George Smith and I have negotiated a new venue in the Majestic Hotel. This was the best location for Brisbane Chess Club ever. The rent was $40 a night and we had the bar and kitchen downstairs and extra unused large hall next to us. We never had the need to use this hall but it was available to us.

In the Majestic Hotel the Brisbane Chess Club had its finest history. I remember our simple club championship had 40+ entrances. It was there where I organised Queensland first Brisbane Open Championship as a counter part to Brisbane Chess Club Championship (hence closed to members only) not as counter part to CAQ State Championship that many are still claiming. Many other tournaments were put on our calendar. Among many I can list the BCC lightning Grand Prix, our famous Six Packs, etc. We also started our formal Transfer Tournament thanks to Andrew Meldrum we had the Transfer's First Recommended Opening Repertoire. Andrew was simply too good. It was there were I initiated the BCCA (Brisbane Chess Clubs Alliance that was active for 3 years and included all major Brisbane Chess Clubs ( Brisbane Chess Club, German Chess Club, Redcliffe Chess Club, API Chess Club and Logan Chess Club - The Gap Chess Club and Nundah Chess Club I thing joined later but were never granted a full membership). The BCCA was meeting exclusively at the API (Australian Postal Instituted) premises.

The API was a very nice flash in the Brisbane Chess history. It was run by a newbie the late Richard Thomas with such an enthusiasm that within weeks it became a prominent Chess Club of Brisbane. Their meeting hours were unique and never crossed other clubs' nights. Richard made sure of that. Their premises were free provided by API and situated right in the middle of Brisbane City.

Also at the same time I have started the CEA (Chess Enterprises Australia) with Magne Forfang and organise an Brisbane Chess Clubs' Team Championship. That did not sit well with the old CAQ and very nasty chess legal war started. It was again Dr Jim Petrie whose intervention settled the years long running disputed. Out of memory CAQ lost its membership down to 4 people as old members ignored to re-list fearful to be appropriated legal fees or just simply disagreed with old CAQ madness. Immediately after this legal drama was over Alian Fossy moved to incorporate CAQ mainly to deflect financial liability for its future members. This was probably the smartest move the CAQ ever did.

At the same time with the help of Michael Whale I had also wrote an independent chess rating programme that was not restricted to CAQ members only. Pat used my rating list at the CAQ State Championship because of its accuracy (his words).

Still at the same time I have embarked on state wide chess coaching at the primary schools and organised Queensland Inaugural Primary School Team Championship. To this extend I had to invent a new category for the youngster and thus the Cadets were born. Cadets meant everyone attending Primary School regardless of age. I have also set up the Commodore Group for the high school students but there was no need for one so it lapsed. My Chess Coaching Programme eclipsed all primary school in QLD by slicing it into QLD Chess Regions and appointing a Regional Director for Chess Coaching fully funded by the State Government. This established the grounds for others to start up their chess coaching clinics (Cony Pizzato and Graham Gardner from Gold coast and later joined by the Chess Academy compliments of Ian Murry where such establishments). Today, chess coaching is standard a very diversified.

To complete this history flash back I have to mention a few other publications known to me that should serve as a source for further research - The Chess Enterprises Update, The BCCA Bulletin, the BCC calendar and of course the chess column in the Courier Mail. This chess column traditionally belongs to BCC but it was run independently since I can remember.

I hope this contribution will refresh the memories of others. Kerry Corker, Mark Craven, Alain Fossy, George Smith, Pat Byrom, Alan Thomas and Jim Petrie and to some extend Craig Laird (the first President of the new CAQ after its collapse) are the main living chess legends that shaped QLD chess history.

Have a nice day

Paul Chalupa

Since this thread is to do with history, it is reasonable to correct some of the errors of history introduced by Paul in his post.

"Also at the same time I have started the CEA (Chess Enterprises Australia) with Magne Forfang and organise an Brisbane Chess Clubs' Team Championship. That did not sit well with the old CAQ and very nasty chess legal war started."

This seems to imply that the Chess Association of Queensland initiated the law suit as some sort of revenge for Paul starting a chess tournament. In fact, the law suit was initiated by Magne Forfang against Clive Terry, the then treasurer, over the denial of a vote at the CAQ AGM for non payment of the annual fee. Whether or not Magne had the extra vote made no difference to the outcome of any motion put to the meeting.

"It was again Dr Jim Petrie whose intervention settled the years long running disputed."

Dr Petrie was a member of the CAQ at the time of the law suit. I recall he telephoned me as the then President of the CAQ, He was concerned about potential financial liability resulting from the law suit. As I understand it, Dr Petrie was in no position to end the law suit. Probably, the suit was ended by action taken by the Education department. That was the impression I formed when contacted by an Education Department official who said he could end the dispute.

"Out of memory CAQ lost its membership down to 4 people as old members ignored to re-list fearful to be appropriated legal fees or just simply disagreed with old CAQ madness."

This is not likely to be true. I managed to obtain a court record of the law suit which stated that all future members of the CAQ would not be affected by the law suit. I published this information at the time. I know that before the law suit, Queensland was second only to NSW in terms of numbers of members probably largely due to the efforts of John Grey in Townsville.

"Immediately after this legal drama was over Alian Fossy moved to incorporate CAQ mainly to deflect financial liability for its future members. This was probably the smartest move the CAQ ever did."

At the time of my taking uo the position of CAQ Secretary, the CAQ was unincorporated. These days, I think that all the chess associations are incorporated but at the time we did not appreciate the importance of protecting the members from law suits. We had plenty of other work to do. The members of an incorporated body, as I understand it, are protected in that a successful litigant can only access the funds of the organization and not its members. The only part I played in getting the CAQ incorporated was to initiate it.
    Fortunately, Ian Murray and his wife Barbara had some expertise in constitutions and volunteered to do the work. Thanks be to Ian and Barbara.

Allan Fossey, Dec 2019.

Both the initial statement and the response to it contain quite a few interesting historical points.
    Not a single reference to dates in either though, don't you think such a detail could be useful to the future historian?
    Kevin Casey, not even a hint of a Q sac, how did you manage?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Rookie
    Queensland has had at least four recipients of the Australian Chess Federation's Koshnitsky Medal, presented for work in Chess over many years. They are Bill Powell 1994, Ian Murray 2000, Graeme Gardiner 2003 and Gail Young 2018.
    The 2020 medal will be presented at the Australian Championships in Sydney. Other people I met, years ago, deserving of such recognition were Clive and Wendy Terry, Kerry Corker, John Gray then living in Townsville and
    Adrian Harding, now deceased, who ran chess in Rockhampton, . No doubt their are many others who did excellent work.

None of these people actually sued the Chess Association of Queensland Inc and none of them wrote their own version of history and posted it on Chess Chat. They "are the main living chess legends that shaped QLD chess history"

Thread Information